Spotify has Cyrptocurrency miners in it? --False Alarm

Author Topic: Spotify has Cyrptocurrency miners in it? --False Alarm  (Read 2820 times)

OP your version of spotify is infected, I don't think they would do this stuff.
forget it, I use youtube-mp3 all the time, the only downside is the washed bitrate and a little bit of quality loss.

If you used to record songs with a tape recorder back in the day its the same stuff, my dad used to have a tape recording thingy hooked up to a fm radio, it still works too.

http://puu.sh/mbUpu/cf0d204cc0.png
what did you do to your spotify

I use spotify regularly and the directory is clear and clean. It can very well be a botnet minenet type thing hiding in cool new edgy places.

Isn't Spotify P2P? Maybe someone did some nutty stuff with that.

There isn't a 'caches' folder in my directory. It might just be because I don't use it a lot, though.
I use spotify all the time and there is no folder for me either. this is your end sordo
There's some weird stuff going up with spotify. I'm pretty sure it's installed adware on my PC.
Yeah and it's called those stupid consecutive ads that ignore volume settings

Isn't Spotify P2P? Maybe someone did some nutty stuff with that.
i don't think so, i believe how it works is that you stream the music (like streaming videos) from their database at a stuff bitrate. the premium version offers a higher but still mediocre bitrate, it will always be at a lower quality than actually buying a download of the music.

the most obvious vulnerabilities spotify has is probably their ads, seeing how there's probably a lot of examples of ads doing malicious stuff in programs, and the service owners not giving a stuff as long as they get money. that and the ads give you cancer

why don't you just pay for spotify you get a lot of value

I use spotify all the time and there is no folder for me either. this is your end sordo
Yeah, I removed the whole cache folder and it seems fine. Nothing was even happening with spotify on before that, idle cpu at like 2% usage so it obviously wasn't even active. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't a thing for everyone and spotify was going the road of putting bitcoin miners on their user's computers.

why don't you just pay for spotify you get a lot of value
I agree spotify premium is really nice. I was going to be pissed if it was something spotify was doing on purpose considering how many people paying for premium.

At least it was a false alarm.

i don't think so, i believe how it works is that you stream the music (like streaming videos) from their database at a stuff bitrate. the premium version offers a higher but still mediocre bitrate, it will always be at a lower quality than actually buying a download of the music.

the most obvious vulnerabilities spotify has is probably their ads, seeing how there's probably a lot of examples of ads doing malicious stuff in programs, and the service owners not giving a stuff as long as they get money. that and the ads give you cancer
yeah i only have premium cuz it was $10 for 3 months

does google play music offer better bitrate? i dont want to be limiting my dope ass headphones :^)

There is no such thing as a "Caches" folder inside the AppData/Roaming/Spotify folder, I just looked. You were infected, though by what I'm not sure. It would be interesting to find out where it came from.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:04:37 AM by Cowboy6 »

Yeah and it's called those stupid consecutive ads that ignore volume settings

From time to time I randomly get weird websites opening in new tabs on my browser. I can't remember the URL exactly but I remember there being an 'app.spotify' in there somewhere. It usually redirects to really shady/weird websites advertising stuff like Norton and Perth News on non-official sites.

yeah i only have premium cuz it was $10 for 3 months

does google play music offer better bitrate? i dont want to be limiting my dope ass headphones :^)
i have no clue, you should look it up yourself. there's a point in which increasing the bitrate has diminishing returns and i believe it's around spotify's bitrate anyways.

time to switch back to spoofy

time to switch back to spoofy
and watch himself some pewydeedee?

As someone who uses Spotify every day I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that Spotify does not have a "Caches" folder. Just in case any further proof is needed. You probably just have an ordinary virus that hid itself in there, I doubt it's difficult to get rid of
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:19:58 AM by Tokthree »