What kind of VPS for 1 24/7 BL Server?

Author Topic: What kind of VPS for 1 24/7 BL Server?  (Read 1438 times)

Yes

What VPS should I get if I want to host one server, that runs 24/7 and can hold about 20 players? Do I need unlimited bandwidth? How much RAM do I need? Disk space? Everything really, how much do I need? And, is it possible to get it for free? Thanks guys.

It's possible to get it free of course as long as you're willing to host a server on one of your computers non-stop

Sharing a VPS can help the cost but can also create risks depending on who you share it with

Blocknet is safe and also is the cheapest you can get for a hosting service

Yes

How much bandwidth does hosting a Blockland server take up? Would 1TB be enough to host one 24/7 server?

How much bandwidth does hosting a Blockland server take up? Would 1TB be enough to host one 24/7 server?
Easily

For RAM, I'd say get around 3GB (just to be safe) if you're going to have 1 server, more than 1 server get more than 3GB.

From what I've been experiencing BL consumes RAM based on playercount, bricks, and mostly, the ghost limit. Changing the ghost limit changes how much your server will consume RAM. My server is on a max ghost limit of 128k, which means I can't exceed over 120k of bricks which I never do. But I've had around 18 players and the server only took 0.6GB of ram rather than 1GB+ of RAM.

ok here's the pro-tips from someone who has been hosting blockland servers for over a year. ive basically done every single hosting solution so i know a few tips and tricks for this stuff

first off: if you're only hosting a blockland server and don't plan to host anything else like a website or any other game, go for blocknet. really easy setup, NO hassle at all, and it hosts servers /really/ well and had excellent support from one of the most trusted users on blockland, pecon

vps stuff:
if you are going to host other games or other stuff, go for nfo (as said before, if you're only hosting blockland, go blocknet). nfo is really high quality and has fast service, and will provide support if you need any. right now, battlemix runs off of nfo and it has been doing great. http://www.garycact.us is also hosted off of the same vps node as battlemix, which manages to survive all the image requests being sent in due to my emoticon script release.

if you're going to use nfo/another vps service here's the specs you should get: for cpu cores, you only need one, but two will do and it'll guarantee better performance for anything else you might want to host. for ram, you could actually get away with only getting 512mb of it, but only if you're hosting exactly one blockland and nothing else. i suggest atleast 2gb of ram, as that is pleanty for bl hosting and should be enough for anything else you might want to host. but be VERY careful with your selection of add-ons. ive found that oRBs and RTB use up /absolute tons/ of ram. with battlemix, it would get up to using 1.5gb of ram with oRBs/RTB in less than 12 hours. without both of them, battlemix has been using under 512mb of ram (with like 20 players on the server as well) which is surprising because battlemix spawns literally thousands of projectiles every second.

for storage, you really only need 5 gigabytes max. blockland is not a very large game in terms of disk space used. nfo gives tons of space in storage, and most other vps services do too, so don't even worry about disk space at all

for bandwidth, according to my nfo control panel i don't use more than 125gb of data (my most amount used was 111gb, current usage for the month of december is only 31gb), and that includes requests from my  website too. you're not going to need a terabyte of bandwidth if you're just going to be hosting blockland. a terabyte of bandwidth really is completely overkill for anything related to games really. nfo gives you thousands of gigabytes of bandwidth, so i wouldn't worry about it at all

so in summary, if you're only hosting blockland, go blocknet. if you want to host stuff like websites/other games along with blockland, go nfo
if you have any questions ask away, i will be glad to answer them as we need more servers than ever now

i just realized that i practically made an essay on server hosting
i hope its of use to you
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:06:37 AM by Gytyyhgfffff »

One of these days I will make a hosting guide...

Personally I use an NFO servers VPS to host my website, blockland servers, TS3 server, chivalry medieval warfare, starbound, etc..
It just mitigated a 3 week long UDP-DRDoS attack to the point where nobody could even tell it was happening.

Badspot:

As far as bandwidth goes, you need 32kbps of upload per player to make sure you don't bottom out.  So for a hundred players you need at least 3.2Mbps of upload.  Also this needs to be real, sustainable bandwidth.  I know that some cable providers give you a little boost for the first few minutes of heavy usage but will eventually throttle it back down.  Also [tinfoil hat] I suspect they may artificially prioritize popular speed test sites. 

For cpu usage, it's number of bricks * number of players.  100 players with ~5000 bricks is probably no problem, but 100 players with 100k bricks is basically impossible.
see: http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=156776.msg3762438#msg3762438

It just mitigated a 3 week long UDP-DRDoS attack to the point where nobody could even tell it was happening.
let me translate that to something that people can understand without looking it up:
nfo servers can handle a pretty loving powerful ddos attack

so yeah get nfo
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:52:12 AM by Gytyyhgfffff »

if you are rolling in money, I would say to buy your own server, an internet rig, and find a local datacenter to keep the server in. This would cost like $500.. but it is your server forever. If you are just planning to host in your house, you don't have to pay for monthly rates to keep the server in a datacenter, and depending on your internet reliability, you don't have to buy another internet rig. This is what I did, and keep it in a datacenter for like $25 a month. It is currently running 6 blockland servers(hosted by different people), a web server, and has hosted minecraft and terraria a while ago. It have never reached the cap out of players for my server. SO in conclusion: If you want a large down payment, but a real quality server, go with buying all your own stuff. If you want to rent a server, go with blocknet. if you want to do stuff other than blockland with your server, go with nfo.

Depending on how long you host, it is probably a better idea for a large down payment. If you pay $20 a month for a year or so, that's $240 which you can buy a server with (without an internet rig / datacenter)

I would let you use my server, but I usually only let friends use it..
If you would be interested in that, contact me.. here is a speed test I did on the server: http://www.speedtest.net/result/4952416982.png
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 02:13:00 AM by Dragonoid.Slayer »

Just get an old PC with decent specs and put it somewhere dry and cold.
Preferably close to your router.
Then use Teamviewer to connect and manage it from a distance.

This solution is about as cheap as you can get.

Gaming costs a lot less bandwidth then most expect.
Downloading and streaming use up a lot more.

Extrapolated Data Usage over 1-hour: (source)
    Killzone: Shadow Fall – 194.52MB
    Battlefield 4 – 66.88MB
    FIFA 14 – 26.7MB
    Streaming via Twitch (Best quality) – 781.38MB (Estimated Upload bandwidth ONLY)

Blockland will probably be even less than fifa.

While loading files or ghosting, blockland can theoretically send up to ~2Mbit/s per client (max speed depends on latency of the client). While not ghosting, it sends up to ~256kbit/s per client.

On average most packets are empty and it's a lot less. It depends on what you're doing with the server.