how do i get over a fear of driving?

Author Topic: how do i get over a fear of driving?  (Read 5631 times)

i got my temporary license 2 months ago, and i haven't drove since. i think this fear spawned due to the fact my mom just gave me the keys the day i got my license, and i had a panic attack.

Embrace the fact that no matter what you do you will one day face death, and then drive.

if you are still unsure about driving, try practicing at night, when there are less cars on the road. that's what i do.

due to this, i can't even get in the driver's seat without having a panic attack.

how'd you get your license in the first place

yeah pretty sure you need to be able to drive to get a license

not a driver's license, a temporary license (the one you get before an actual driver's license)

i got my license and probably went through the same process as you if you got one.
i have the same issue. i can drive well, got my license easily and have driven around with friends with no worries.
but when im alone in the car, (which is supposed to be relaxing), i get super nervous. its odd. im just going to shrug it off as new, though. since im used to always driving with someone (the instructor)

Ask a medical professional.

i don't know if every state has these, but that's what we call them. it could be called something else.

not a driver's license, a temporary license (the one you get before an actual driver's license)
learning permit then?

i don't know if every state has these, but that's what we call them. it could be called something else.
A learner's permit?

If you're unable to get into the driver's seat of a car without having a panic attack, this sounds like it's more of a serious psychological problem than a simple fear of driving. You should see someone about this if you want to learn how to drive.

We call them provisional licenses here.
I've got one, but I've never driven a car before.

It means I can however, provided I am insured, and in the car with a licensed driver in the passenger seat.
Basically so I can take driving lessons.

if you have a medical issue with panic attacks how the heck were you able to get a drivers license in the first place? you're putting other drivers at risk on the road if you're someone who's prone to panic attacks.

i mean i couldn't really give less of a stuff about driving. my family, however, keeps provoking me to do it for some odd reason.