Advanced Taunt System

Author Topic: Advanced Taunt System  (Read 1461 times)

I have had this idea in my head for a hwile, and after seeing Ze Operator's thread about a dancing animation, I thought its about time it becomes a thing.

So incase you have no idea what a taunt system would even be... basically I'm going to use Team Fortress 2's taunt system as a explanations.

You hold a button or push a button, and you character does a little animation, in TF2 its linked to either your currently held weapon or the taunt you selected in a pop-up menu.

As an example if you where to push say G , a menu would pop up and would show the images of your current taunts, then you would hit a number 0-9 and the taunt would play, for some of them the taunt will continue until you either hit you attack key, or get hurt, some taunts even have an alternate animation that can be triggered by hitting your secondary attack key.

There is also interactive taunts that can be performed, and when a player does a interactive taunt a symbol will show up ontop of them, another player can then go up to the player and push their taunt button to perform the interactive taunt.

The idea is to get something that works most similarly to that in Blockland, the problems I foresee however are the animations, It would be best that you do not require any item to perform these, but rather it would be a Client gui and server based addon.

You would be able to perfrom any taunt at any given time, the taunts will be disabled whenever you playertype is something that is not the default Blockhead, the best thing to do here would be to add a whitelist of what playertypes it can work with, as an example the list of things it would work with would be :

• Standard Player
  • No Jet Player
  • Jump Jet Player
  • Quake like Player
  • Low Jump Player
  • Sports Player

For some basic taunts I think the following would be good to start with :

Wave - Wave hello to somebody, stops on its own
Laugh - Laughing animation... need I say more? Stops on its own.
Bang - Point your hand like a gun a fire it, stops on its own, optionally can damage a player
Dance - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpmkLFZUB7s&feature=youtu.be, Stops when you attack
Brick juggle - Bricks are juggled (Not really its just a 1x1, 2x2 Plate, a 1x1 round being tossed around) stops on attack
Point - You point forward, at someone or somebody... anything! Stops on its own.
Rotation - The Blockhead rotates each one of its limbs 360 degrees, stops on its own
Fall Apart - Blockhead's limbs fall to the ground (Fake physics) , attack to stop
F-Bomb - I should not have to explain this one, but it has to do with your middle finger, stops on its own
Air-Thrust - Nothing can stop the pelvic thrust, this one will look very weird since the blockhead has no limbs, stops on its own
2slow - Blockhead runs in place, stops on its own

It would be something like that, also if it where to work with BLG's Prefs it would be great, and of course it would have expandability similar to how ther hat mod does it.

I know nobody is obligated to make it, its a suggestion that hopefully can become an addon one day, and hopefully to make the experience on other servers more lively, I can see it being used on servers like the New Years server, a random TDM, some RP, even a zombie survival one, or just to make everything feel better.

Come on don't you think its time for the Blockhead to be able to do more than just Emit Puffs of black smoke, hearts, or exclamation marks? We need more than hugs!

Some of the taunts you suggested could use previous existing animations like raising/lowering or rotating bricks.

Could definitely be made.

teamfortress2land

this sounds like a good idea though

TBM had dance animations.

Bang - Point your hand like a gun a fire it, stops on its own, optionally can damage a player
Point - You point forward, at someone or somebody... anything! Stops on its own.
F-Bomb - I should not have to explain this one, but it has to do with your middle finger, stops on its own
these cant be done without modifying the actual m.dts and would be a huge hassle

the other ones, on the other hand, i can do easily

these cant be done without modifying the actual m.dts and would be a huge hassle

could equip a weapon, make em do /hug or one hand up weapon equip thread, and ye

could equip a weapon, make em do /hug or one hand up weapon equip thread, and ye
then it would be a grey item instead of your actual hand and that would be worthless

I've been thinking about this for a little while too.

I thought somebody already made a script that lets weapon based hands change color to the color of the player.

Weapon based can work as long as there is a way to make it not show up in your weapon/item list and inventory.

I thought somebody already made a script that lets weapon based hands change color to the color of the player.
i highly doubt it

i highly doubt it
It was in some weapon pack that had hands, but I don't know the name of it, regardless those aren't necessary, I think its better to have something than nothing at all.

You would be able to perfrom any taunt at any given time, the taunts will be disabled whenever you playertype is something that is not the default Blockhead, the best thing to do here would be to add a whitelist of what playertypes it can work with, as an example the list of things it would work with would be :
Actually you can just check the model the playertype uses. If it is the default model, the playertype is free to use the emotes.
Just a small hint.
It was in some weapon pack that had hands, but I don't know the name of it, regardless those aren't necessary, I think its better to have something than nothing at all.
I have not seen this before, but i could be mistaken.
Most of the hand on weapon add-ons use gloves or the default skin color of the blockhead as hands.
It would help for the immersion though, kinda.