My computer is upgrading to windows 10 without consent.

Poll

what

Windows 95
9 (9.5%)
Windows 98
3 (3.2%)
Windows XP
7 (7.4%)
Windows Vista
4 (4.2%)
Windows 7
31 (32.6%)
Windows 8
10 (10.5%)
Windows 10
31 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Author Topic: My computer is upgrading to windows 10 without consent.  (Read 8107 times)

if it needs to download windows 10 before installing it then the answer is simple

cut off your internet and it can't download

They installed the windows 10 files onto everyone's computer months ago which are waiting in hibernation to be activated.

It's too late for that. If I turn off my internet they will still be able to activate the installation.

If my computer strictly never had internet since day 1 this wouldn't happen.

They installed the windows 10 files onto everyone's computer months ago which are waiting in hibernation to be activated.

It's too late for that. If I turn off my internet they will still be able to activate the installation.

If my computer strictly never had internet since day 1 this wouldn't happen.
just delete the files then
If you need to replace the drive and then don't connect it to the Internet :cookieMonster:

I don't like the execution of this. It's basically on the same level as spyware just with an official seal of approval.

win10 is faster and i'm glad i have it

win10 is faster and i'm glad i have it

If you like it being faster because it learned all your private information that it now predicts what you'll do next.

If you like it being faster because it learned all your private information that it now predicts what you'll do next.
did u completely miss zerø's post

Well I have to disagree with you this time again , I know we have argued it countless times, but this time I discovered one thing.

You have copied and pasted an image of the privacy statement for the Windows 10 Insider Preview Program about 4 times.

This doesn't apply to the normal releases, because a user has to opt-in to the insider preview program for these privacy terms to even take effect, to be specific here is the page that the screenshot is from (near the bottom):
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

For those who are not aware, the Windows Insider Preview program, is a program that lets people test a new version of Windows 10 before its released to consumers, considering they are Test Builds, they require feedback to debug issues and find out how to improve UX, obviously the preview builds have less privacy and are not intended for consumers to be using them as their daily OS.

It even says at the top that it applies only to the pre-release versions of windows.
The consumer version of Windows 10 does have slightly less privacy when compared to older versions like 7 and 8/8.1, but the person has the ability to disable many things such as telemetry and settings that automatically send feedback during the OOBE (Out of the box experience) the user is also not forced to make a Microsoft account and can use a local account.

Thank you for choosing to participate in a pre-release program for our next version of Windows! The purpose of the program is to enable you to provide usage data and feedback to Microsoft while trying out the pre-release software and services. Your participation is important and will provide us data we can use to better understand and engage our customers, and to improve our products and services. This privacy statement applies to the pre-release Microsoft Windows software, services and related experiences, including program websites and software that display or link to this notice (the “Program”).

Ipquarx please do not take my post as a "attack", I just wanted to clarify something I have been investigating for a few months now, and today after looking in to it again I have confirmed this, I do not plan on changing your opinion on Windows 10, but something stood out of the screenshot you kept posting over and over again, so I had to look into it.

I really don't want this to turn into 20 pages of arguments so lets be mature about this and not derail the thread into an endless argument over privacy again.

By the way my only gripe about Windows 10 is the fact there is a setting that is enabled by default that is basically an ad in the start menu, to disable that you need to go to settings>personalization>start and toggle "occasionally show suggestions in start" from on to off, and that will stop stuff like candy crush from showing up in your start menu.

That setting wont be there for long, they are considering removing that in the Anniversary Update since its literally an ad in start, and people made it clear they don't like it, all 8491 people.

did u completely miss zerø's post
he ignores anything that could solve his problems because otherwise he wouldn't be able to complain about them on the internet

Part of the win8 terms of service includes being forced to download updates pushed by microsoft, and honestly if you're too handicapped to read and see how people are trying to help you, gladly will you remain in the upgrade loop.
So what? He's not saying he's trying to find legal grounds on which to sue Microsoft for this change, he's saying it's a bullstuff business practice, which it definitely is. Even if people did read the terms and conditions of the things they installed, it would still be fair to call Microsoft out on this stuff here because when you give them the authority to do that, it's with the assumption that will use that power responsibly. I could accept a mass forced update in the circumstance that it's actually something important, like stopping some massive exploit that was uncovered that allows someone to take over a computer using only an IP address, but using it to force their useless OS on people who don't want is it absolutely unacceptable.

I couldn't have said it better, jetz.

you can try leaving it without a power source for a week or two

computer can't automatically boot up without power

you can try leaving it without a power source for a week or two

computer can't automatically boot up without power

Then how do I get on the computer?

Then how do I get on the computer?
good luck

the idea of deleting the windows 10 files then cutting off the internet is interesting in theory