Author Topic: Feminists Celebrate loveually Transmitted Diseases!  (Read 5132 times)

don't worry, the resources I linked do that.
Why argue with me then?

So you're saying that everyone who has an STD, no matter how they got it, should be ashamed of themselves for having it? I should be ashamed if I'm raped in an alleyway by some unknown assailant and contract HIV? I should be shamed for having my first kiss with someone who didn't know they had Herpes? I should be ashamed if I'm dearly in love with a woman for a year or two and then discover that they had a disease the entire time and neglected to inform me? I should be ashamed of myself for growing up in a broken household filled with abuse and neglect and turning towards love to keep my two infant children well fed? I should be ashamed for having love in the first place? I should be ashamed for being human?

no. are you saying that's how most people get STDs?

you seem to think there's something inherently immoral about having love, or at least with having a lot of love. this is the exact attitude the video is trying to counter, because it's doesn't really make sense

oh no, I don't have a problem with love, just ignorance.

Take this for example:

There was a kid in my middle school named Jordy, who had a child and was suffering from AIDS at the time. Nobody really made fun of him, they just regarded him as teen who got a bit too deep into a relationship.

There was another kid in my middle school named Alexis, and she had contracted herpes from some source. For the entire three school years, kids would tease her and make fun of her, calling her a slut and a whore for having an STD in the first place, and at such a young age too. She was frequently sent home for violent and self-destructive outbursts as a result of such abuse from her peers.

There's obviously something wrong with this situation. Can you spot it?

Why argue with me then?
that's more what I was asking you with that post.

no. are you saying that's how most people get STDs?
there exist people who get STDs that way so it already doesn't make any sense to shame people for having STDs

what's the connection between STDs and ignorance

society

Your first mistake is assuming everyone who has an STD is an ignorant starfish and deserves whatever nasty disease torments them.

Take this for example:

There was a kid in my middle school named Jordy, who had a child and was suffering from AIDS at the time. Nobody really made fun of him, they just regarded him as teen who got a bit too deep into a relationship.

There was another kid in my middle school named Alexis, and she had contracted herpes from some source. For the entire three school years, kids would tease her and make fun of her, calling her a slut and a whore for having an STD in the first place, and at such a young age too. She was frequently sent home for violent and self-destructive outbursts as a result of such abuse from her peers.

but the fact that they have two different diseases too... isnt aids deadly?

but the fact that they have two different diseases too... isnt aids deadly?
You could never die of AIDs, only from opportunistic infections that are able to invade when your immune system is weakened. With modern advances in medicine, HIV is no longer a death sentence or anything close.

but the fact that they have two different diseases too... isnt aids deadly
The point is women with STDs are usually regarded as useless sluts, while men with the same STDs are regarded as accidentally associating with said useless sluts.

It mirrors the 'women are sluts and men are players' mentality that popular media loves to convey to the masses, promoting men to take pride in their ability to forget as many women as possible and women to feel as ashamed as possible for doing the same loving thing that men do.

Your first mistake is assuming everyone who has an STD is an ignorant starfish and deserves whatever nasty disease torments them.

Take a step off your soapbox a second and take a couple thoughts about this: if you're loveually promiscuous with several partners and you don't bother practicing safe love, getting infected with an STD is a very likely outcome that these women put themselves in risk of. I'm not about to say that they deserved getting an STD, and I don't necessarily think that's what Frequency was implying.

Being infected with disfiguring and deadly loveual diseases and infections shouldn't be normalized. I'm not saying we should treat people who have been infected like subhumans, more along the lines of people should take a preventative stance on this matter rather than a progressive one.

http://www.mrctv.org/blog/feminists-aim-end-std-stigma
I just read this
but i dont agree or disagree with it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR9FHKKbMZo
this is something i think path would like

Being infected with disfiguring and deadly loveual diseases and infections shouldn't be normalized. I'm not saying we should treat people who have been infected like subhumans, more along the lines of people should take a preventative stance on this matter rather than a progressive one.

The video seems to hint that the purpose of #shoutyourstatus is to make a statement along the lines of 'it doesn't matter how many people I forget or how many diseases I have, I'm still a human being and I still deserve respect

I understand that people may dig their own grave when it comes to STDs, but that doesn't make them subhuman or a bad person.

Take this for example:

what point are you trying to make? I've already said that you shouldn't be blamed for something beyond your control.

there exist people who get STDs that way so it already doesn't make any sense to shame people for having STDs

I won't shame anyone for having an STD, but I'm not going to glorify them for having an STD, especially when it likely resulted from their ignorance.

what's the connection between STDs and ignorance

isn't there a rumor or something about STDs originating from some guy who forgeted a monkey

where did I make this assumption about EVERYONE?

Yes, the very first thing that comes to my mind when I think of feminism is clearly getting a crusty rooster.

After digging into the internet I think #ShowYourStatus was meant to stop shaming for getting checked for STDs
my sister and her bf went to a place to check if they had STDs when they first got together because neither of them wanted to pass something to the next
this is something that should be promoted but i think the wrong feminists took it and twisted it to make it where having STDs were okay
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:41:00 PM by True Johnny »

The common """""debunking""""" of the 77-cent wage gap figure explains that the gap is a product of women's choices, because women tend to choose lower-paying jobs. In fact, the original study that produced this figure discussed this. This explanation is not the end of the discussion but rather the start. Here's an incredibly thorough research publication discussing the pay gap, and Here's an article written by two women with Ph.D.s in economics who are far more qualified to have this discussion than either of us is.
The "discussion" that most people (embarrassingly including Obama in one of his appearances) have been trying to stir up regarding the pay gap is that women were being paid less for the same work. That, if a woman and a man both had the same job doing the same amount of work, that the woman would only make 77-80-whatever cents on the dollar that the man did. That's what was debunked, and if the "discussion" is that women get paid less for the same work, that is where the discussion ends. If your "discussion" is something else entirely, then it doesn't apply.