Author Topic: Unable to upload avatar  (Read 1288 times)

trying to upload a new avatar, but it just won't let me. I get a message that says

"Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information."

Don't know why it's doing this as my avatar is 75x75 and is also 5kb less than my current one, so I don't see as to why it should be doing this.

if people tell you to lower the size, whether resolution or file size, don't bother pls
it may eventually make it work, but only by coincidence, because that isn't the cause of the problem. what always has worked for me is saving it with different settings a couple of times. this gets past the issue, without compromising the quality of the image
it's easy with the GIMP. usually I just uncheck all of the options, and if that doesn't work, check them all again, and if that doesn't work, I'd start flipping them each one-by-one until it did, but one of them has always worked before I got to that point

it happens because the SMF developers tried and failed to write malware detection. it constantly gets false positives, and they won't fix it because they're Perfect and So Good at Programming and the problem is obviously your image editor and not their homemade antivirus

ah I see. That's pretty stuffty, no Forums should have to try and upload something at random just for it to work.

and here, don't know if this'll help in the server recognizing it so I just put it as an attachment.

It's been said again and again and again, but we need a loving avatar help sticky. Perhaps someone could create an avatar help thread and we just keep it bumped to the front page for now?

It's been said again and again and again, but we need a loving avatar help sticky. Perhaps someone could create an avatar help thread and we just keep it bumped to the front page for now?
I'd be down for this, we just need Badspot or any other moderator to actually take notice of the problem, that's if they even will to begin with.

Have you tried giving it a name that doesn't contain any spaces?

I'd be down for this, we just need Badspot or any other moderator to actually take notice of the problem, that's if they even will to begin with.
badspot definitely knows about it. but there's nothing he can really do. the SMF developers won't fix it, and that's outside of his area of expertise (also, outside of the SMF developers' areas of expertise)

Have you tried giving it a name that doesn't contain any spaces?
doesn't work

badspot definitely knows about it. but there's nothing he can really do. the SMF developers won't fix it, and that's outside of his area of expertise (also, outside of the SMF developers' areas of expertise)
huh, you'd think they'd hire someone to fix this. Guess we just have to deal with it then.

try this one

I agree. There should be something like this. Hopefully Badspot or another staff member can do this!