Author Topic: lets discuss the current state of the rap game  (Read 5063 times)

the mainstream is absolute garbage. i dont know if you guys have seen this years XXL freshman lineup, but its embarrasing. the only artist on there that puts out high quality music is anderson .paak. the freestyles were horrible (again, except for .paak). richardy tries to compensate for his lyrical inability with speed, kodak mumbles while looking like the most iced out crackhead to date, and desiigner loving snaps and sings like two lines. .paak is lightyears ahead of everyone else on there. denzel curry i think belongs on there because he has such a unique sound and got big by going out of the norm, but still he's not that great.

meanwhile youve got uzi, desiigner, yachty and kodak pushing out garbage (richardy doesnt even belong on there, he's the same quality as lil b). good rappers are getting slept on, while meanwhile washed up rappers like kanye are getting love (tlop did not deliver at all, that album was more of a statement than anything, cool project but save for a couple songs it was an overall disappointment).

im hoping futures "ET" will deliver with some certified bangers, kudder will go back to his MOTM sound (do we even have to mention his suicidal stuffty rock album), and childish gambinos project will be good. also we need a new A$AP album. interested to see how vic mensa's next project goes as well.

thoughts/general opinions?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:24:26 AM by RedGajin »

my friend went to an A$AP ferg concert last wednesday & she got forgeted up.

my friend went to an A$AP ferg concert last wednesday & she got forgeted up.
a$ap ferg has declined imo, he needs to go back to his "old english" sound
but good for her getting forgeted up stay lit

forget the majority of mainstream rap

forget A$AP Mob (although the music video for Yamborghini High was rly good imo)

forget Joey Bada$$ cause he sold the forget out

and rip Capital Steez

i just listen to 90s east coast rap because this loving autotune panda garbage is awful

i just listen to 90s east coast rap because this loving autotune panda garbage is awful
try some Capital Steez, his entire style is heavily influenced by 90's east coast rap (actually when he was alive he was trying to restart the "movement" of that genre)

indulge

i would also suggest flatbush zombies, their style is reminiscent of 90's rap, but with a darker/psychedelic feel to it
one of the best active rap groups rn imo
forget the majority of mainstream rap

forget A$AP Mob (although the music video for Yamborghini High was rly good imo)

forget Joey Bada$$ cause he sold the forget out

and rip Capital Steez
joey had to much potential

When I'm forced to listen to rap on the radio it's always the same four songs and they're all about getting bitches at da club. Rap is even more sterotypical than I thought.

When I'm forced to listen to rap on the radio it's always the same four songs and they're all about getting bitches at da club. Rap is even more sterotypical than I thought.
*couugh* Young Thug *cough*

i only listen to stuff like aesop and atmosphere

Only rappers I ever intentionally listen to are those like Lecrae, Andy Mineo, and similar. They actually have a positive message. If I'm gonna listen to lyrics - something I don't do often - I want them to be meaningful.

Only rappers I ever intentionally listen to are those like Lecrae, Andy Mineo, and similar. They actually have a positive message. If I'm gonna listen to lyrics - something I don't do often - I want them to be meaningful.
try - new age kendrick lamar, his jazz-rap style has very meaningful lyrics
edit: also j. cole, if you havent heard "revenge of the dreamers II" you def should. its not solely his album, so you get a lot of different sounds from different artists from the Dreamville label. "caged bird" is pretty lyrically sound
i like logic & of lol

i HIGHLY suggest "the underachievers" if you like logic. they are little "darker" then logic, but you can definitely see similarities between them. also try denzel curry and futuristic
exactly, desiigner releases one song (im sure youve heard panda) and becomes the hottest new artist of 2016 even though its garbage. meanwhile great artists are receiving no recognition because of this ages addiction to trap-esque music
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 04:01:42 PM by RedGajin »

As Red said, try new age Kendrick, along with older Joey Bada$$ songs, and the entirety of Capital Steez's work.

yea that's pretty much all i hear on the stations at home, if you can even understand what they're saying. half the time they sound like they're having an aneurysm or a stroke or some stuff