Author Topic: lets discuss the current state of the rap game  (Read 5047 times)

I listen to Aesop Rock and Hail Mary Mallon. Other than them it's mostly metal music for me

i don't like new rap at all; can't stand to listen to it.
only group i can name that i enjoyed was the sugarhill gang.

Kendrick Lamar is my man.

I love just about everything by him.

i like gorillaz does that count

I absolutely adore hip hop but I detest gangster rap. It's unimaginative drivel aimed at the lowest common denominator. I really don't like it how it's put on the pedestal all the time considering how low effort and formulaic the lot of it is. To simply put it, there is nothing to get out of it for me.

When people talk about how they hate rap, it's this stuff they're talking about. It's because the crap gets so much limelight and it's blasted on every god damn radio known to man people who weren't previously into the genre get the notion that this is what the whole genre is about. It's really stuffty because there's so many good hits that people are missing out of because they were exposed to the bottom list stuff that somehow makes it to the top 40s with no questions asked.

Gangsta rap his been dead for at least 16 years. In fact, the last gang-related rap song i heard on the radio was probably Hot brother. Either way bobby schmurda got arrested so people are really learning from him

Almost all of the top 100s hip hop listings are their own genre nowadays

I enjoy Deltron 3030 does that count?

Does Dizzee Rascal count?

I listen to Aesop Rock and Hail Mary Mallon. Other than them it's mostly metal music for me
my man. Old aesop rock, busdriver, tribe called quest, and busta rhymes is what I listen to.

try j. cole, the roots, kendrick lamar, mos def, mf doom, common, and lupe fiasco's "tetsuo and youth" album
this is about all i listen to along with a lil childish, logic, and chance and some old school hip hop

I don't like anything revolving around:
-drugs
-love
-money
-boobs
-butts
-how large boobs or butts are
-gangs
-guns
-hookers
-crime/violence
-how stupid the police are

so that basically eliminates 95% of mainstream rap. At one point I bothered to check out upcoming rap artists but after the 100th time of it being the same stuff I listed above I just stopped caring. I remember one time a person linked me to a really cool rap song that was actually had a nice meaning along with it. Wish I could find more like that :(
this. Also IMO most autotune is overrated af now to and most people use it all the time and it gets annoying so you might as well put that in there. Most of it really isn't that great anyways. IMO 2pac did it the right way with California love

bumping this because i didnt wanna make a new thread and the people posting here might know this

https://soundcloud.com/flameyoga/what-cool-music-sounds-like-wcmsl#t=3:34

what uzi song is this @ 3:34 if the timestamp doesnt work

found it it's $ub zero
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 03:41:27 PM by pch »