Author Topic: Why does Blockland only support Mono type music/sounds?  (Read 1538 times)

I really never understood why we use mono-stereo in the first place. It makes ambiance a pain when you turn a corner and suddenly blasted with whatever low quality file you choose to use. There isn't any fade in/out. There's got to be a better way. I don't give two stuffs about the file size considering my loops are fairly small, between 3-5 seconds. I doubt it would take anyone with a decent internet connection to download 1mb of music an eternity.

Blockland is based off of a 2004 Torque Engine build.

Alright, but has there been any attempt at better sound quality over the years or have we accepted our 240p fate.

we accepted our 240p fate.
If there's been any sort of attempt made, I haven't heard about it.

Arguably anything higher would also forget up already considerably length download times for 2mb audio files.

There's already ways to do stuff like this, the main problem is just the fact that the download is so bottlenecked.

Alright, but has there been any attempt at better sound quality over the years or have we accepted our 240p fate.
well unless you do .wav files really sound quality is stuff

There's already ways to do stuff like this, the main problem is just the fact that the download is so bottlenecked.
It's pretty god damn frustrating to download since it is huge download, oh well, we might as well accept our 240p fate like Alkatjo said.

I really never understood why we use mono-stereo in the first place. It makes ambiance a pain when you turn a corner and suddenly blasted with whatever low quality file you choose to use. There isn't any fade in/out. There's got to be a better way. I don't give two stuffs about the file size considering my loops are fairly small, between 3-5 seconds. I doubt it would take anyone with a decent internet connection to download 1mb of music an eternity.

You've gotta remember that BL isn't exactly what you would call a recent game. It's very low-res, compared to others. Maybe I'd Badspot did have any motivation to fix that, we'd have two audio channels blasting HQ loops.
I haven't really had too much of an issue with it, since I loop music files on my own time, but I would like the improvement.

Blockland will support nothing but mono ogg for the considerable future. An engine-wide rewrite would be required to imprpve this.

It's mono because you normally would use one speaker brick for music.

But you could fancy it up and make giant stereo speakers with the left playing the left side of the song, then the right playing the right side

It's mono because you normally would use one speaker brick for music.
its an engine limitation, not a design choice

Blockland obviously does support stereo sound, but it makes no sense to have them on music bricks. You can either have stereo or 3d sound from a specific position.

Blockland obviously does support stereo sound, but it makes no sense to have them on music bricks. You can either have stereo or 3d sound from a specific position.
so it's either stereo sound or sound that changes in volume depending on how close you are to it?

Badspot limits the size of music files in Blockland to avoid issues with copyrighted music appearing in his game or being shared on his website.  I wouldn't be surprised if he also limits the type of music files which can be used.  Whether that's intentional or through his own inaction.