Author Topic: Furdles Africa Adventure 2 :: I am now living here for a year  (Read 6082 times)

Got a big ol update for all of you.

I'm thinking of moving out here for the next year. I've had countless job offers from local charities and the camp where I stay in (hostel/bar/swimming pool/resturant/long stay houses/tents)
I'd be working as an assistant manager out here, and working for charities on my days off as a project manager.

Although it does mean that I'd have to quit university and deal with my parents basically disowning me.

Just as I was typing this message I met up with the boss of the camp and he's offered me a job, I start tuesday!
I'll probably be working as an illegal since the work visa is like $1000USD.

This does however mean that I will not be able to play any computer games until Malawi sorts out its stuffty internet.
Why would your parents disown you?

Why would your parents disown you?
My dad is very much the kind of 'go to university and get a real job' kind of guy.

My dad is very much the kind of 'go to university and get a real job' kind of guy.
Were you exaggerating when you said they'd disown you? They're pretty stuffty people if they'd actually do that.

Were you exaggerating when you said they'd disown you? They're pretty stuffty people if they'd actually do that.
Well yeah obviously they wouldn't disown me lol they'd just not support my decision and be reluctant to help me with anything

Well yeah obviously they wouldn't disown me lol they'd just not support my decision and be reluctant to help me with anything
I think that seems pretty reasonable, to not be happy that decision as parents. Obviously they should still help you.

Throwing away your position in Uni is a very bad idea. I don't think you'll have a long healthy and stable career as a charity worker and if it goes bad you won't have a very good backup plan. There's little to stop you from doing charity work (obviously not the exact same work) in the future with a degree, and then of course, you'll have a strong backup. If you don't like the prospect of doing charity work that isn't this exact job, then you probably shouldn't pursue it, since you wont have the same position forever.

I also suffered from cant-play-computer-games-because-of-crappy-African-internet syndrome when I went there a few years ago.

I don't think you should do it if it means cutting off your university. I mean I can't imagine this being a long term job.

I would stay in university. That's awesome though

you can be the one to build a university in malawi

Honestly, my opinion is do what makes you happy. Just stay safe.
University is always waiting for you at home, should you want it. And this decision might lead you to discovering a life plan that's perfect for you.

Only thing I think you should do is get your visa sorted out so you can work there legally.
It would probably mean you have to return home and reapply, then return to Malawi.
But it's better to be safe in knowing you don't risk prosecution in a foreign country.

But it's better to be safe in knowing you don't risk prosecution in a foreign country.
bro thats half the fun

Thanks for the suggestions and support. the reason for me wanting to do a year out here is that I don't want to go through some boring 9-5 life and have a stable job. Id rather be poor and have an adventure for life. That's just me.

i think its very easy to say that when you aren't living an exciting impoverished life

I'd say finish your degree and then continue living risky. A day will come when you want more stability in your life or want to provide it for someone else and then you will have to make yourself much more miserable in order to get it.

But it's your life, if this is what will make you happy, go for it.