graham - enhancing our bodies so we can survive car crashes

Author Topic: graham - enhancing our bodies so we can survive car crashes  (Read 2573 times)

rather date an actual loving alien than that thing
i'd have a better time with a xenomorph lol

I almost puked, but then read more and its actually more of a concept to demonstrate what kind of evolution most humans would need to undergo to be able to survive an average car crash

this thing is just a model, its not trying to evolve humans at an accelerated rate into what is seen on the site

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/shorter-winged-swallows-evolve-around-highways

I'm guessing swallows have a shorter lifespan than us, right? And wingspan is a very minor change compared to this. This'd require new genes, not a certain combination of existing genes, if that makes sense?

I'm guessing swallows have a shorter lifespan than us, right? And wingspan is a very minor change compared to this. This'd require new genes, not a certain combination of existing genes, if that makes sense?
What about this requires "new genes"

What about this requires "new genes"
Well obviously his legs are a lot bigger than before. I don't think his current wardrobe is going to fit him anymore.

Swallow? African or European?

Looks like a few generations of inbreeding

HOW IT FEELS TO CHEW 5 GUM

STIMULATE YOUR SENSES

"Hello, I'm Graham, and I'm an alcoholic."

HOW IT FEELS TO CHEW 5 GUM

-snip-

STIMULATE YOUR SENSES
holy forget lol

I don't think car crashes could influence any kind of evolution. we've only had cars for like 300 years or something? so in another 300 years we will probably be using something else lol
only a tiny bit over 100 years, first car was made in 1884 but cars were extremely rare and made for the rich until the early 1900s

holy forget i only just now saw the 360
is that a bloody sontaran

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/shorter-winged-swallows-evolve-around-highways
wings that are a few millimeters shorter is not even remotely comparable to the changes in this "graham" thing. many of the differences he has are huge, there are even some totally new structures, and some others have disappeared. among other issues. I'm not really sure what the total amount of swallows were around those roads, but it sounds like those who died made up a pretty big percentage. traffic injuries (~50 million. includes those that didn't result in death or severe injury, which would probably not affect selection), by comparison, make up a small percentage of the human population, and occur all over the world, rather than being mostly localized to one area. natural selection in the form of death will have less of an effect on the species when the deaths don't have a large effect on the available people for someone to choose a partner from. anything that doesn't cause serious population culls will take much longer
also, it would require people to choose to reproduce with people who looked more and more like "graham", and maybe over millions of years people wouldn't notice the difference, but if you're talking about a few hundred... nope. imagine if those swallows had preferred their potential mates to have longer wings