Author Topic: Can't connect to half of the servers due to "---" ping.  (Read 1187 times)

When I try to join a server, all it shows it "Sending punch packet" over and over, but the thing that confuses me the most about it is that it came out of nowhere. I think it may be due to my router not supporting uPnP, or not having uPnP enabled. I tried looking it up, but it just showed the manual, which only said "Thanks for buying this" and "Make sure the device is on". Any one know how I can fix this?

Don't ask if i searched it, the search never works, plus there are a lot of other reasons why people can't connect to servers.

The --- means the server is probably down.

Sounds to me like it is indeed a UPnP problem.
What is your router model? Maybe we can find the option.

Sadly no, I thought it would be the case but it occers on Cat123's Grapple Kinfe server, which afaik had around +20 people on at the time.
Sounds to me like it is indeed a UPnP problem.
What is your router model? Maybe we can find the option.
It's an Arris SG6183. Also has the nickname "Surfboard"

That's one, but it can also be that the server wasn't forwarded correctly to get a ping, yet you can still connect to it if you get lucky

Most likely with --- servers they are either down or they are not port forwarded correctly, you'll have to contact the owner of that server and tell them they must port forward.

That's one, but it can also be that the server wasn't forwarded correctly to get a ping, yet you can still connect to it if you get lucky
I still don't see how that affects a server that had over 20 people on it. I feel as if it's a problem with my router not having uPnP enabled, or something else about the model.

No. I don't have a ping to Cat123's server. Never had one.

Yet I can still connect to it

Have you connected to your router and looked to see if you could find a UPnP option?
Should have an option under: Advanced>options>UPnP Enable

http://routerguide.net/how-to-enable-upnp-for-sbg6580/

Wow I forgeted up; my ROUTER is a Tp-Link-Archer-C8, the Arris SG8163 is a MODEM.

Turns out it was enabled? I guess I had to go to the options to have it refresh. Plus now that my brother is at college he isn't guarding the router so I reset that to be safe.