Author Topic: What was the worst Windows OS and what was the best Windows OS?  (Read 2890 times)

Windows Vista wasn't a bad OS. It just removed the DOS part which 90% of the programs of that time used. XP was a mix of NT and DOS. If there were more programs independant of DOS, it could've been a good OS.
My mouth is just aghast in the inaccuracies of this post.

Windows ME was the last version of Windows to be built on top of MS-DOS; all future versions (under the NT brand) were built on a new kernel, and treated MS-DOS as a separated component. MS-DOS was still included as a separate piece until Windows Vista, at which point it was just outright replaced by the Command Prompt, a separate but similar system.

All versions of Microsoft Windows have had an MS-DOS like command-line interface (CLI). This could run many DOS and variously Win32, OS/2 1.x and Posix command line utilities in the same command-line session, allowing piping between commands. The user interface, and the icon up to Windows 2000, followed the native MS-DOS interface.

Consumer Windows (up to 3.11, Win9x, WinME) ran as a Graphical User Interface (GUI) running on top of MS-DOS. With Windows 95, 98, and ME the MS-DOS part was integrated, treating both operating systems as a complete package. The command line accessed the DOS command line (usually command.com), through a Windows module (winoldap.mod).

A new line of Windows, (Windows NT), boot through a kernel whose sole purpose is to load Windows. One can not run Win32 applications in the loader system in the manner that OS/2, UNIX or Consumer Windows can launch character mode sessions.

This "90%" figure is also wildly inaccurate; if that was the case, people would be calling Windows 2000 the worst OS of all time. By the time of Vista, a lot of consumer applications were 32-bit, and a couple had already started to move into 64-bit. The only issue with program support was that a number of older programs were written in 16-bit (like the original installers for all the old LEGO games), and if they hadn't been updated and you had a 64-bit system, you were out of luck. This isn't a problem with Windows, though.

The real reason for Vista being "terrible" is because of the way in which Microsoft tried to approach security. Vista implemented a lot more features that consumers and developers weren't necessarily ready for, such as the UAC system or the WDDM/DWM systems for handling rendering the screen. They were trying to address the massive problems of Windows XP, but they didn't give enough time for hardware manufacturers and program developers to anticipate and update their systems in advance. Windows 7 is just a polished up version of Vista, built with the lessons learned in mind.

Windows Vista wasn't awful, it just wasn't ready.

The absolute worst operating system is Windows ME, an ungodly piece of stuff.

worst was vista
best was 7 or 10

Best was 95 because it advanced OS Technology to a new level that was much higher. Coming up close was 7, it basically fixed all the broken things in windows.

But the worst is Windows ME. Me and my dad like to make jokes about how much it sucks. Im pretty sure if you move the mouse, the OS blue screens.

I really like windows 10
I don't think I have any particularly strong feelings as far as "worst" goes, I've only used XP, 7, 8, and 10, and I liked all of those, so...
maybe I have used some other versions when I was way young, but I wouldn't be able to remember that, so it doesn't matter

i still don't get why vista is considered to be so bad

but that's probably just because i used it for a really long time

Best: Windows ME
Worst: Windows 7

Windows Vista was very slow, was a memory hog, and was very capable to a virus infection. Not as bad as 8 or ME, but still bad.

at this point i'm pretty sure it's just a circlejerk
the guy on your right thinks vista is terrible, the guy on your left thinks vista is terrible, and if you never used vista for very long, you'll just conclude vista is terrible
that's not to say it isn't deeply flawed, but many of its flaws certainly were present in its predecessors and it's definitely not the worst thing microsoft has vomited up

Windows Vista was very slow, was a memory hog, and was very capable to a virus infection. Not as bad as 8 or ME, but still bad.
I think if you were to upgrade a Vista machine to 7, it wouldn't run much faster. However, it was definitely a slower than XP. As for the viruses, though, Vista was still far ahead of XP and the OSes that came before it (yet miles behind any Unix-based system, even today).

I'd put 7 at the best and 10 at the worst. I don't understand why people feel the need to upgrade everytime microsoft puts out a new system if nothing about it has really changed for the better. I'm not a real big fan of operating systems that try to be as closed-source as possible to the point where you can barely change the way things look and perform without a 3rd party tool. On the other hand, Windows 7 took what XP did right and made it better. Thats how operating systems should work. My only complaint about 7 is that they took away the option to use unsigned themes, but it's extremely easy to bypass.

Inb4 McJob gives me a lecture on why Windows 10 is the best.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 05:57:59 PM by Willymcmilly »

try to be as closed-source as possible to the point where you can barely change the way things look without a 3rd party tool
I agree that closed source is bad, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with customization

the best type of windows are tinted glass ones

I agree that closed source is bad, but it's got absolutely nothing to do with customization
If your source is closed down, it's harder to write, test, and publish customizations. Compare how many window managers are available on Linux (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Cinnamon, Unity, Fluxbox, and tens of others) to Windows, which only has what MS gives you.

If your source is closed down, it's harder to write, test, and publish customizations. Compare how many window managers are available on Linux (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, LXDE, Cinnamon, Unity, Fluxbox, and tens of others) to Windows, which only has what MS gives you.
everything you're listing is a third-party tool
without a 3rd party tool.