DLC is getting ridiculous - The rant

Author Topic: DLC is getting ridiculous - The rant  (Read 18918 times)

DLC is loving ridiculous

This rant is going to be about how loving ridiculous DLC is getting and my persepctive of why Digitally downloadable content is absoloutley preposterous. I am sick and tired of having to pay £30 extra just to get the full loving game.

What is DLC? and history of DLC
Digital downloadable content (Short for DLC) is additional content added to the original game by the developers to either expand the game or add in new content for players. During the 90's games like Doom and Duke Nukem used DLC to expand the games contents keep in mind that there was no internet back then and Steam did not exist until late 2003 but releasing expansion packs for games back then was the only way to update them and add in new things for the players to enjoy. Unreal Tournament 99 got packs like Multiplayer maps and Duke Nukem 3d got expansion packs as well adding in new levels. Back then this was normal and it wasn't outrageous as it is today.

Eventually during the early 2000's, and in my opinion this is where stuff hit the fan, Maxis dropped The Sims 1. Back then The sims 1 was labbled the "game of the year" and was a major compettitor against in my opinon, the best game of all time, Deus ex. The sims 1 today, if we were to play the first ever release of it, it would be extremley outdated and limited. There are only a few amount of lots available and only one neighbourhood is playable. Since steam still wasn't released back then and since there was still no way to update the game through the use of the internet, Maxis started creating expansion packs. Back then it was normal for 2 expansion packs for a game but Maxis went out and put in tons of expansions for the sims. In total there were 7 expansion packs. All of course were expensive and even I remember back when I was a kid I was unable to get these expansions because of how expensive they were I only had the digital deluxe with Unleashed.

(An example of an image demonstrating if the DLC that was being made today was back in the 90's on consoles like the N64, Sega genCIA and more)

Now for any normal game back then developers would release a new version of the game fully updated, Simcity 3000 for example got Simcity 3000 unlimited which added in tons of new stuff to the game and would be the final fully refurbished version of the game. Deus ex also got this and was labled "Deus ex Game of the year edition" but Maxis did not loving conceive this idea and waited until 2005 to release the final version of The sims 1 which would be "The sims complete collection" including every expansion and the sims 1 into one game. Also in 2004 they made The sims 2. And guess what? Steam was made in 2003. Valve however, when they released Half-life 1 they FREELY updated the game to give it HD textures they didn't realese any "Special editions" of the game they simply added in the HD texture update for free. Maxis didn't release The sims 2 on Steam and it led to Maxis creating tons of Expansions for the sims 2 and it was completley disgusting. At the time I remember someone telling me to buy the sims 2 complete it would cost more than £200. Wow. And to add insult to injury EA released the sims 2 ultimate collection FOR FREE 10 years after it's release so anyone that paid for all of it's content was probably pissed off.

This is loving ridiculous

Xbox Live is a loving atrocity
(Click on the image above to see Videogamedunkey expose Microstuff)

Xbox live, what a absoloutley amazing idea to "Bring online gaming to the next level" no I don't think so Microstuff. If you aren't aware Xbox live was origanlly produced for the Original Xbox, back then it still costed a total of $59 for a 12 month membership to play Halo 2 online and other online games for Xbox live. Now when the PS3 was released Paystation network was completley free. When the 360 was released you would have thought that Live would be free right? no it's not and even today despite the fact the 360 is dying Microstuff is still charging people for a 12 month membership for $59 on the Xbox live. Xbox live is an utter stuff program and Microsoft don't want to fix anything, Videogamedunkey shows in that video that the Gears of war servers were broken and couldn't play well meanwhile on PSN he shows gameplay of 64 PLAYERS playing on a server with no issues at all. PSN is free and Live is not, so if you are being loving extorted those $59 you demand a good service. Like Max Payne said "you buy yourself a product and you get what you pay for" here Microstuff are charging people $59 for broken stuff that they don't want to pay for. I used to have Xbox Live and those $59 I wasted on it I wish I could get it all back.

This card is basically saying to you "Hey buy me for no reason!"

Xbox live market place and the PSN shop are also out of hand. Games charge tons just so people can get the content they want. On the PS2 if you're playing a game like Timesplitters or SSX you play the game to unlock stuff, here all of the sudden Xbox live and PSN wants your money.

Facsinating

Why can't we just unlock the loving hats??

To top it all off, PSN has followed Microstuff's steps and has decided to charge for PSN's service as well. Good job

Memberships and it's all visible on steam

Since steam is now the home of PC gaming, every game with all it's DLC is visible on steam. Every bit of it is visible you can see how stupid developers are to release an Unfinished game to the public. With all advice do not pay for DLC like the above it is loving stupid and pathetic. If you think that is a way to release a game you are stupid. People do this for money I get it but it isn't a way in which people should be treated. It's like they're all stealing our money at this point.

Memberships are the icing of the cake, take a look at our friendly neighbours Roblox and what they have to offer:

"$129.95 most popular" go forget yourself, this is pathetic.

In conclusion, DLC is a loving waste of money and should be abolished by now but developers are still pumping out DLC and making themselves look incompetent. What are your thoughts on DLC?

DLC should be free. Ubisoft with Rainbow Six Siege has the right idea.

DLC should be free. Ubisoft with Rainbow Six Siege has the right idea.
Ikr Rainbow six siege is absoloutley free, so cheap and everything is free. Not.

what DLC should be
>new levels
>new ways to play the game

what DLC tends to be
>missing content

I really hate it when a game hasn't even been released and there's dlc for it

like why not just put it in the game since it's still not out yet

I really hate it when a game hasn't even been released and there's dlc for it

like why not just put it in the game since it's still not out yet
That pisses me off so much, WWE2k17 hasn't even been released yet and 2K have added in DLC packs for it.

what DLC should be
>new levels
>new ways to play the game

what DLC tends to be
>missing content
Exactly, you have people charging you for little items like cosmetics (On CSGO and TF2 I think this is acceptable as they have a market in which people buy and sell from each other thus making a fair economy however the Manco store can be very stupid at times) on CSGO you aren't forced to pay for a karambit skin nor does it EFFECT the gameplay it's a small thing up to the player to purchase. Games like the last of us as seen in OP shouldn't be charging for hats and stuff. It should be unlockable

These people don't even need the money. It's ridiculous.

crusader kings 2 should be on this too since you gotta pay 2 bucks for stupid character portraits that should be free

crusader kings 2 should be on this too since you gotta pay 2 bucks for stupid character portraits that should be free
That's loving stupid, Ik I forgot to mention a lot of stuff like paysites but I think everyone get's the idea. I might make a video explaining this as well

I 100% agree. there shouldn't be so much loving DLC for one game, like jesus christ, paying 50$ for a game is already enough why do you expect me waste to 100+ dollars for small little features on one game, unless the DLC comes with a brand new story
line, route or something, then loving no.

"$129.95 most popular" go forget yourself, this is pathetic.

inb4
You don't have to pay for builders club

inb4
who ever uses that point has it all wrong. You need buildersclub to play their stuff game because you can't do basic things like get robux, get stuff from the catalouge, create custom shirts (Yeah you need builders stuff to slap some textures on something to sell something. In fact The sims 2 had bodyshop, EA doesn't charge anyone to slap textures on a shirt and put it up for download do they?) and some VIP things on servers. Also Tickets were removed. Roblox is worse than EA in my opinion tbh

who ever uses that point has it all wrong. You need buildersclub to play their stuff game because you can't do basic things like get robux, get stuff from the catalouge, create custom shirts (Yeah you need builders stuff to slap some textures on something to sell something. In fact The sims 2 had bodyshop, EA doesn't charge anyone to slap textures on a shirt and put it up for download do they?) and some VIP things on servers. Also Tickets were removed. Roblox is worse than EA in my opinion tbh
exactly.
Everytime, I say how greedy roblox is to someone, the person responds with "you don't have to pay for it".

I like the idea. It's a brilliant business scheme. Developers let people know that there's unreleased content and when the they notice people are getting bored with the game, release the content as DLCs and make loads of money. How can you not respect that?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:30:22 AM by Ravencroft· »

I like the idea. It's a brilliant business scheme. Developers let people know that there's unreleased content and when the they notice people are getting bored with the game, release the content as DLCs and make loads of money. How can you not respect that?

It may be good for business but it's not good for players.