Nintendo Switch Revealed

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Revealed  (Read 22221 times)

So can it function like a normal tablet without the controllers? Like does it run android or something?

So can it function like a normal tablet without the controllers? Like does it run android or something?
i doubt it, but i guess it's not impossible. the nvidia shield uses android, but i feel like nintendo would keep making their own OS that they can control like they've always done

i doubt it, but i guess it's not impossible. the nvidia shield uses android, but i feel like nintendo would keep making their own OS that they can control like they've always done

I was thinking more that you can boot between the two. Nintendos OS for games, and Android for general use. That would really make it a killer on the market

i don't know how to explain it but i feel like that would be a really stupid decision

i don't know how to explain it but i feel like that would be a really stupid decision

"jack of all trades master of none"?

"jack of all trades master of none"?
yeah something like that
also most people already own an android or ios device for that so why get another system for it

I was thinking more that you can boot between the two. Nintendos OS for games, and Android for general use. That would really make it a killer on the market
yeah i would definitely be super interested if it were able to run something like android. guess we'll be kept waiting. i don't think a dual boot would be in their best interest though, they'd probably just focus on making one OS work really well, and if they make their own then they have an advantage there. having their own OS would probably also help anti-piracy efforts

yeah something like that
also most people already own an android or ios device for that so why get another system for it
cus it'd be a high-spec android tablet that can play super loving mario !!!

ugh but it's just like detracting from the main purpose of it and taking resources that could be used to play more super loving mario !!! in higher quality and greater framerates
like it's trying to do too much at once, you feel? kind of like the XBOX TONEV

I know making it dual-boot would also make it more complicated for the younger audience to use (and some adults), and would also make the cost go up

Plus it will probably be cheaper than most tablets on the market. I've heard from around 250-350

I know making it dual-boot would also make it more complicated for the younger audience to use (and some adults), and would also make the cost go up

Not really. Just have it so that when it starts up you choose between "Gaming" and "general use" or something. Also I don't see how the cost would go up.

Not really. Just have it so that when it starts up you choose between "Gaming" and "general use" or something.
It would still have the potential to confuse younger kids and non-tech savvy adults. Plus having it run android would open the console up to reverse engineering, possible viruses, piracy, stuff like that.

Also I don't see how the cost would go up.
The cost would most likely go up because of the research and immense coding the team would have to do, along with the extensive testing and possible changing up the hardware to make it compatible

It would still have the potential to confuse younger kids and non-tech savvy adults. Plus having it run android would open the console up to reverse engineering, possible viruses, piracy, stuff like that.

Nothing is going to stop reverse engineering on a Nintendo product. Hell the Wii U emulator is now at full speed with audio.

The cost would most likely go up because of the research and immense coding the team would have to do, along with the extensive testing and possible changing up the hardware to make it compatible

Lolno. The internals are being made by nVidia. It's even a using a custom Tegra chip. The chips that were designed for mobile Android devices.

alright boys its time to settle down this discussions going a bit off the rails on a hypothetical situation

ugh but it's just like detracting from the main purpose of it and taking resources that could be used to play more super loving mario !!! in higher quality and greater framerates
like it's trying to do too much at once, you feel? kind of like the XBOX TONEV
i don't know how resource-intensive android is, but yeah it'd probably be heavier than a custom nintendo OS built specifically to play nintendo games. not sure if it'd make too much a difference, but it would mean that people who have lots of background apps running will experience differences in performance. using android would also mean they have to develop ways for android to run the cartridge-based games, which i imagine won't have to be installed, but we'll see. i'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about how software is going to be distributed.

you could probably have some kind of option somewhere to "restart in android" rather than prompting at startup but yeah i don't see how it'd be a practical decision for nintendo

Nothing is going to stop reverse engineering on a Nintendo product. Hell the Wii U emulator is now at full speed with audio.
you can't stop it, but you can at least make it harder for people to homebrew right away.

alright boys its time to settle down this discussions going a bit off the rails on a hypothetical situation
p much everything until more information is gonna be hypothetical. it's fun to guess about this stuff cus nintendo apparently loves to surprise people

you can't stop it, but you can at least make it harder for people to homebrew right away.

Every time Nintendo has tried to stop Piracy or homebrewing it's made their consoles worse, the N64 with cartridges, and Gamecube with those small, 1.27 GB disks, etc.