Are any people in America actually oppressed?

Author Topic: Are any people in America actually oppressed?  (Read 19295 times)

When you think about it, nobody in America is really oppressed. The way our democracy works may not be totally fair sometimes, but they're not intentionally keeping you down at all based on color/love/religion/etc. It boggles me how feminists in america can know about what what goes on in places like the Afghanistan and still believe they're being oppressed at all. They're pretty much just grabbing at straws now. This isn't just feminists, but anyone who believes they're being systematically oppressed and being treated unfairly by the government. When a black kid is unnecessarily shot by a cop or a white dude with second amendment rights, that's not oppression. That's an individual choosing to be a richardhead. Now, if a majority non-black people in america were specifically shooting black people, that could be considered oppression. If the government made a law that says non-blacks should specifically shoot all black people that enter your property, that's definitely oppression.

What are your thoughts, BLF?

yes lmao
oppressiveness is relative to what's right next to you, not what's on the other side of the world

radical feminists and other sjws are hardly oppressed but that certainly doesn't mean everyone that claims they're oppressed is an sjw

according to the letter of the law we shouldn't be, i am not a lawyer don't quote me on that, but reality differs as people will always find a way to abuse positions of power to unjustly harass others for arbitrary reasons
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:59:22 AM by DestroyerOfBlocks »

yeah, a lot of people are actually oppressed. the people who deny it are the ones in power/ are not being oppressed

its a lot more subtle than maybe 50 years ago but there's still a lot of undocumented discriminiation, not only against black people, but against native americans, white people, women, almost any demographic in existance. to assume everything is alright it to essentially say that we live in a utopia of perfection
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:35:57 PM by Perry »

Average American here. Not that oppressed.

im not oppressed
well i kindof am because black people are wanting all white people dead and it makes me feel stressed but other than that no

Just because someone has it worse than you doesn't mean you don't have it hard.

If theres one demographic around you thats oppressed its the young demographic

Just because someone has it worse than you doesn't mean you don't have it hard.
Always hated this platitude.
Some problems really just aren't that bad.

except some problems are??
there is such a thing as poverty you know

except some problems are??
there is such a thing as poverty you know
a lot of identity stuff comes to mind. i don't care myself, you can call yourself whatever you like and if it makes you happy go ahead, but it's really insignificant in terms of oppression.

Well, things have improved a huge deal since the beginning of the country, but there are still some problems.
Maybe things aren't systematic or bad enough to call it oppression, but it definitely deserves more thought than "pfft, stop whining"

i remember learning that sometimes white people that are qualified for a job are denied that job because they have to accept minoritys to meet a quota, does that count as oppression