Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) has sprung a leak, polluting Ash Coulee Creek

Author Topic: Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL) has sprung a leak, polluting Ash Coulee Creek  (Read 5300 times)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dapl-a-victory-of-the-great-spirit_us_58449b2ae4b0cf3f64558b0c
https://www.rt.com/usa/369177-dapl-pipeline-lake-rerouted/

essentially, the pipeline which was to run under an indian reservation is finally being rerouted so as to not encroach on their property rights or pollute their water.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:09:05 PM by Nonnel »

"reroute"

inb4 they drill somewhere close by

it's kinda funny how all this played out, esp because iirc the indians initially wanted the pipeline to run through their reservation but rejected the first offer in an attempt to get more of that $$$. then they got pissed because the dudes running the line just said 'ok lol we'll build around'
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 09:19:56 PM by Decepticon »

Absolutely fantastic, glad to hear some good news.

silly natives now you can go back to appeasing the gods of booze and blackjack

nice, should have happened a while ago though

like before they started gassing protestors ideally

"Pollute their water"

Pipelines are run literally hundreds of feet below the water bed to prevent this from happening. What a waste of money and resources for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

"Pollute their water"

Pipelines are run literally hundreds of feet below the water bed to prevent this from happening. What a waste of money and resources for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Not to mention that it didn't even go through their land in the first place

"Pollute their water"

Not to mention that it didn't even go through their land in the first place
The fear is that the construction/pipes could leak oil and other things into the river, which runs through their territory. The pipeline would not enter, but it could pollute water that does.

I'm not actually entirely sure on whether this was a reasonable fight, but I feel obligated to support it after the stuff these guys have had to go through. Throwing tear-gas, firing rounds at, spraying freezing water in subzero temperature and beating/arresting peaceful protesters (many of which literally just sit down and pray) is insane and instantly isolates people from a cause. I actually know a girl who was arrested with a group for helping to form a hand-circle around some praying Native Americans.

Misguided people with their hearts in the right place are MUCH easier to support than corporate starfishs willing to do what they want by any means possible. Also, I love to see a victory for protesters against massive corporations because it sets a powerful grassroots precedent. Like it or not, this can be cited as an example that direct action from real people can change things from now on.

Oh yea, and for people who think pipelines are just too secure to leak:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pipeline_accidents_in_the_United_States_in_the_21st_century

There were 7 of them last October alone.

The fear is that the construction/pipes could leak oil and other things into the river, which runs through their territory. The pipeline would not enter, but it could pollute water that does.

I'm not actually entirely sure on whether this was a reasonable fight, but I feel obligated to support it after the stuff these guys have had to go through. Throwing tear-gas, firing rounds at, spraying freezing water in subzero temperature and beating/arresting peaceful protesters (many of which literally just sit down and pray) is insane and instantly isolates people from a cause. I actually know a girl who was arrested with a group for helping to form a hand-circle around some praying Native Americans.

Misguided people with their hearts in the right place are MUCH easier to support than corporate starfishs willing to do what they want by any means possible. Also, I love to see a victory for protesters against massive corporations because it sets a powerful grassroots precedent. Like it or not, this can be cited as an example that direct action from real people can change things from now on.
Really? The less powerful a person is the less sympathy I have for them.
I really hate how in modern society everyone sides with the underdog.

We support people that can't support themselves. If you exclusively support those who can already support themselves--you're an starfish.

I can't help but take you less seriously after seeing what you look like

"They just are idiots pipelines never leak!!!"

I will remind you that in my town every week a pipeline leak happens.