Microsoft refuses to support 'next-gen' CPUs in Windows 7/8 Systems

Author Topic: Microsoft refuses to support 'next-gen' CPUs in Windows 7/8 Systems  (Read 1985 times)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha
Attempting to update Windows 7/8 on systems running the CPU generations mentioned in the article now results in Windows reporting the error above and outright refusing to update. Their excuse:
Quote from: Microsoft article
This error occurs because new processor generations require the latest Windows version for support.
Which is naturally bullstuff because you can still run 7 and 8 using these architectures. It's not a required update. I recognize you're interested in jamming 10 down people's throats, Microsoft, but windows 8.1 isn't even out of mainstream support.

If you are encountering or you believe you will encounter this issue, you may be able to work around this issue using the WSUS Offline Update Tool.

No worries. I'm too poor to get one of those processors anyways.

Still staying on Windows 7, will be uninstalling Windows 10 soon.

Well that's absolute bullstuff
I'm willing to bet someone's gonna come out with a patch to remove this though

When I become a computer geek, then I guess I'll have to go back to Windows XP for the true gaming experience.

I don't see why you would be using those OS anymore considering they gave us 10 for free but this is still bullstuff

Joke's on them, they're support isn't really support anyway.

Would this mean bad news for (some) companies in about ~5 years from now? They'll be forced to upgrade to some kind of form of Windows 10 just so they can support modern CPUs and such. Not sure if Windows Server 2008 R2/Server 2012 is being widely phased out yet tho so I could be completely wrong

I don't see a problem here. Intel and AMD have been working a lot with Microsoft on the new series for some interesting functionality (which you can see in the linked news article at the bottom of the support article) which isn't supoorted in old and outdated operating systems. You would have to be handicapped to think it's a good idea to buy new hardware for an old OS.

Would this mean bad news for (some) companies in about ~5 years from now? They'll be forced to upgrade to some kind of form of Windows 10 just so they can support modern CPUs and such. Not sure if Windows Server 2008 R2/Server 2012 is being widely phased out yet tho so I could be completely wrong
What's likely going to happen is that this is going to force someone's hand to make a patch to remove this restriction. It's completely arbitrary and has no basis in reality whatsoever, this is just more overreaching bullstuff M$ is trying to do to force you into their latest unnecessarily pricy piece of software There might even be places that have "patches" to update the kernel to handle the newer CPUs better.

But instead of people actually bothering to do this... Most will probably just give in to Microsoft's desperate pushing, which makes me very sad.

good. upgrade, you dorks

can someone inform me what the issue is with upgrading to windows 10?