Author Topic: Minecraft Pocket/W10 Versions Introduce Microtransactions; Notch Unhappy  (Read 3676 times)

its pretty evident notch has been against microtransactions in minecraft.

I mean, one of the april fools jokes he did was literally adding a fake microtransactions shop to the game.

stuff like this should be a good reminder that you should never sell the rights to your games to a company like Microsoft.

the only good thing they have done to minecraft recently is add birds

stuff like this should be a good reminder that you should never sell the rights to your games to a company like Microsoft.
I'm not sure anyone would turn down 2.5 billion unless they were already considerably wealthy.

I'm not sure anyone would turn down 2.5 billion unless they were already considerably wealthy.
At that rate, I'd just make another really cool game and call it quits.
2.5 billion is enough to make a AAA game (not saying you'd need to make it AAA) and then live comfortably for the rest of your life.

I know I'd be hard pressed to turn that much down, but I'd still really think about if it was worth selling the game I love, that I'd worked on for as long as he did, to one of the slimiest companies in the gaming industry.  It would upset me way too much to see them do this to it.

I know I'd be hard pressed to turn that much down, but I'd still really think about if it was worth selling the game I love, that I'd worked on for as long as he did, to one of the slimiest companies in the gaming industry.  It would upset me way too much to see them do this to it.
do u even realize how much 2.5 billion is

at that level of money, turning it down for artistic control reasons is just stupid. you can dedicate the entire rest of your life to making another hit idea.

for reference, modern AAA games cost 10-20 million to make
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 03:24:13 PM by Conan »

do u even realize how much 2.5 billion is

at that level of money, turning it down for artistic control reasons is just stupid.
^^^^^^^^

Why does it come across as insincere? He may genuinely care about the future of the game, despite accepting 2.5 billion to relinquish control. That makes him a little conflicted, but not insincere.

He's responsible for the current state of the game, albeit indirectly. Unless he feels remorse over the insanely lucrative deal he made, his "I'm rolling in my grave" remark comes across as hollow. He's essentially saying:

-The current state of the game he sold off is not to his liking
-But he wouldn't reverse the offer and take back control even if he could

It seems quite insincere to me. Like he's trying to maintain his indie developer who hates nickel-and-diming persona while still benefiting from cutting a huge deal with one of the largest corporations in the world.

youre making it sound like hes knocking on microsoft door saying 'no dont do that'
he literally just commented his disproval on them add loving microtransactions to what used to be his game

for reference, modern AAA games cost 10-20 million to make
60 Million is the standard, and that's only covering direct development costs; you'll  need a lot more for marketing, licensing, certification and distribution.

60 Million is the standard, and that's only covering direct development costs; you'll  need a lot more for marketing, licensing, certification and distribution.
damn, i guess that number is out of date. i got it off of askagamedev but i guess i didnt realize that post was made like more than three years ago

that or i have a really stuffty memory. probably the case tbh.

He's responsible for the current state of the game, albeit indirectly. Unless he feels remorse over the insanely lucrative deal he made, his "I'm rolling in my grave" remark comes across as hollow. He's essentially saying:

-The current state of the game he sold off is not to his liking
-But he wouldn't reverse the offer and take back control even if he could

It seems quite insincere to me. Like he's trying to maintain his indie developer who hates nickel-and-diming persona while still benefiting from cutting a huge deal with one of the largest corporations in the world.

Dude he wasn't even really developing the game when Microsoft bought it off him. At that point he was getting Jeb to add actual content to the game and even then they were running on fumes. Notch thought he was handing off his game to good hands who could add something new to it.

Minecraft has gone to stuff. I remember whenever I learned that, on console, skins costed money. Lots of money.

Look, if you have something free to the public on one system, do everything except port it over to the other for five dollars a pop. This kind of stuff belongs in free to play games, not 30 dollar games.