Author Topic: M.I.A Rant  (Read 3941 times)

M.I.A (Mathangi Arulpragasam) is a 41 year old ""rapper"" from the UK and I honestly don't know why she is as popular as she is. She is getting 8-9 figure view counts on her music videos on YouTube and it really annoys me.

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewRjZoRtu0Y - Paper Planes.
This song annoys me because firstly, she isn't singing nor rapping. She is talking. She isn't speaking anywhere near quick enough to be rapping, and she is talking in a monotone way which eliminates the fact of her even "singing". Sure I guess it's a different style, but let's face it, she sounds like she hasn't slept in 48 hours and wanted to record one more song, she sounds like she can't be bothered which reflects how much effort she puts into her songs.
Next, the lyrics. Each line is repeated twice which shows how stupid this song is, couldn't she have come up with different lines to replace the repeated one? Or does she just sing anything that's handed to her?
The appeal for this song could also just be the music itself rather than her singing but still.

Exhibit B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uYs0gJD-LE - Bad Girls.
This song from about 5 years after Exhibit A shows the exact same thing, lazy monotone speaking accompanied by drum machines. The lyrics are also pretty stupid in this one, and the hook and bridge is repeated so many times it almost outweighs the verses.

Exhibit C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Nw7HbaeWY - Borders.
Yet again Mathangi is back again with some more incoherent speaking where she rhymes "freedom" with "we'dom"? Does that even mean anything? She also rhymes "them" with "them". Also she says "what's up with that?" after every line in the very long chorus which shows some really clever and meaningful song writing

Sorry for sounding so aggressive, I just wanted to get this off of my chest, there are so many talented artists getting 20,000 views on their videos while this stuff is getting 20,000,000 - 110,000,000 views.

hey bro. some people like different music than you do. I guess you must be pretty young to have not already realized this by now so you get a pass this time, but dont let me see it again or else

sounds like she does hip hop rather than rap

sounds like she does hip hop rather than rap
yeah ill fix that, when i searched her up to find her real name she was described as a "rapper" so i just used that as a label

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.I.A._(rapper)

i know u aint talkin stuff about paper planes

Your first point is that Paper Planes is a bad song when in truth it's a fantastic song and Kala is one of the best albums of 2007--your taste is just trash!

Who are you to define what a "rapper" is? Are you suddenly the official spokesperson for the hip hop genre, here to set rap orthodox for centuries to come?

Honestly I can't be the only person who gets pissed off when someone creates these 'im a music critic and this music is trash' threads. It's just i dont like this, please agree with me disguised behind an elaborate essay in which they attempt to critique the subject in question. Why not skip all the high horse bullstuff and just name the thread 'i dont like this song' and move on with your life?

We get it. You don't like to see someone with talent getting famous and earning more money than you. If you want to make a difference, become a rapper, take the industry by storm and become the definition of the new wave of music. Otherwise, you prove nothing
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:40:03 PM by PhantOS »

This music is total garbage. I'm in full agreement with you on this one OP.

YOOO PAPER PLANES IS LIT
i did my first black ops 1 montage to this mfer omfggggggggggg

also this is what paper planes is from which i think makes OP's point moot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkyCrx4DyMk
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:35:35 PM by Donnies Catch »

No amount of aphex twin avatars can redeem your poor taste and thin criticisms op. I think you struggle with music as a medium.

Gonna have to disagree on this one, fam

I bet OP listens to nickelback

Honestly I can't be the only person who gets pissed off when someone creates these 'im a music critic and this music is trash' threads. It's just i dont like this, please agree with me disguised behind an elaborate essay in which they attempt to critique the subject in question. Why not skip all the high horse bullstuff and just name the thread 'i dont like this song' and move on with your life?
I feel you. I like disagreement and debating music cause I have no life so it's all I get excited by. But the critiques in the op aren't even good. It's just a bunch of poo poo text.

Who are you to define what a "rapper" is? Are you suddenly the official spokesperson for the hip hop genre, here to set rap orthodox for centuries to come?

Are you

never even heard of her

edit: nvm ive heard paper planes before, didnt know who made it though
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:02:05 PM by Doughboy »