Poll

Who do you pray to? PM me if your's isn't on here! Only serious requests will be taken. I don't care how much you love anime, waifu-chan isn't a deity.

Jesus Christ
YWHW
Allah
Lucifer (And his many names)
Hindu gods catchall
Shinto gods catchall
Norse gods catchall
Other
I don't pray

Author Topic: That Religion Thread: Is it okay to absorb bits of other religions into yours?  (Read 9487 times)

That doesn't mean that the Bible is wrong either, it just means that it was written by men who didn't know what we know today. God isn't under attack when evolution is taught in schools because the Bible was written by people and not by God. You have to either take the entire Bible at face value (which is to say, believe in magic) or take is as a series of metaphors and assumptions of an ancient people - and there's nothing wrong with the second option. Religion is an outdated tool of worldly explanation, there's no way around it. As a way to live your life, it's a fine device.
there was a big movement in theology around the turn of the 20th century to "demythologize" the new testament, which seems to be the best bet for religion if it wants to continue to be relevant to the /modern man/

From an outside perspective it seems fine, but in a religion that teaches devotion to a singular truth, it seems difficult to adapt the religion in anyway without undermining its meaning.

There's not really anything wrong with the practice though, and all religions have experienced it to some extent.

depends

many pagans- especially romans- believed other pantheons were completely real, but that they oversaw foreign realms.

abrahamic religions, though, are inherently incompatible. islam sees itself as a revival of old abrahamic beliefs, judaism is, well... judaism, and christianity is basically reformed judaism. all three are more organized- and thus more strict- with what's theologically true

Hypothetically, yeah. A lot of religions claim to be the one and only true one, but that probably isn't true. If you discard that,
 and focus only on the ideals of the religions you're combining, then I think it's fine.