Author Topic: 300 US Marines vs 60000 Romans  (Read 6266 times)

even without armor or support i could see a very obtainable victory for the marines but in a realistic situation its never just infantry
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:42:30 PM by Ragequit »

while i get the 210 rounds argument, aren't marines also equipped with kinds of explosives like fragmentation grenades? i'd say those would definitely be a large advantage of the marines in this case. positioning is also pretty important

even without armor or support i could see a very obtainable victory for the marines but in a realistic situation its never just infantry

This is quickly becoming a gorilla versus grizzly kind of debate, but seriously there is no way the marines would win. Even if you had some kind of belt-fed machine gun sort of deal, shots would miss and the charging circle of Romans would enclose faster than the marines could suppress. The dead Roman corpses would be an impediment to the army's movement, but all it would take is one lucky Roman to get within range of a marine, and then their formation would break and they'd be overrun.

i mean if they waited to engage at shorter ranges which the romans could cover a gap quickly then the marines would probably lose

i mean if they waited to engage at shorter ranges which the romans could cover a gap quickly then the marines would probably lose
I guess this depends on how the battle is set up. If all the Romans spread out and attack the marines in a circle sort of formation, then there's nothing they can do. When the Romans are farther out, the marines can only be shooting at a smaller percentage of the circumference at any given time, meaning most of them are still gonna be closing in. One of them will luck out and break their formation.

while i get the 210 rounds argument, aren't marines also equipped with kinds of explosives like fragmentation grenades? i'd say those would definitely be a large advantage of the marines in this case. positioning is also pretty important

What we're actually talking about here is each marine killing 200 Romans each. That's pretty insane. That's almost 2x the record for confirmed kills by a single marine lol.

It's possible that, with 210 rounds and a couple hand grenades, that you could kill 200 people in a single engagement, but you're also relying on all 300 of your fellow marines also killing 200 people each. It's not gonna happen

What we're actually talking about here is each marine killing 200 Romans each. That's pretty insane. That's almost 2x the record for confirmed kills by a single marine lol.
What if we gave all 300 marines one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger

What if we gave all 300 marines one of these?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger

Better yet, give one marine two GAU-8's and put them both on a spinny chair facing opposite directions.

A weapon to surpass metal gear

Better yet, give one marine two GAU-8's and put them both on a spinny chair facing opposite directions.

The only problem is, if I remember correctly, the weapon produces so much energy that it actually forgets up the flight of the plane you mount it on. Must also produce a stuffload of heat.

sounds like something out of gmod tbh

For an historical comparison of many non-ranged troops versus fewer stationary armed troops, see the Battle of Isandlwana during the Anglo-Zulu War.

The large Zulu force (20,000) armed mostly with shields and spears defeated a smaller force (2,000) of British troops armed with rifles, field guns and rockets.
The Brits were disorganised and had poor defenses set up (not unlike the video scenario).

The Romans have a much much greater numerical advantage than the Zulus did, plus better equipment and training, being a professional army.
There's very little chance of a Marine win under this extreme scenario.

It's pointless even entertaining the idea of the Marines having airsupport as it tips the scales ridiculously to their side.
If they have airsupport why even call in airdrops? Why not call in a gunship or an AC-130?
With something like that you could singlehandedly destroy any army that ever existed prior to the 1900s.

Even just a single unarmed helicopter could feasibly pick up marines, hover out of arrow range and let the marines mow people down from above.  

I feel like the Marines would still have the advantage in any fight. Assuming that they only have infantry weapons, they still have grenade launchers, GPMGs, and disposable rocket launchers that would incapacitate several Romans at a time. A Roman testudo formation would only make the effect of fragmentation grenades and other explosives worse. If a grenade rolled into a testudo formation, that's 32-48 Roman soldiers incapacitated in the span of less than a second. Whatever training the Romans may have, they're still human, and I think an ancient plebian or equestian who hadn't seen a grenade explosion before would buck and run.

That's not counting the fact that these Marines would have advanced melee training and the ability to use bayonets, plus torso armor. If you really want to stretch, you could argue that humans were over-all shorter and less healthy 2000 years ago than today, giving a physical advantage to the modern day marines over antiquity soldiers.

This isn't to mention that it would be difficult for the Romans to organize and move an army of 60,000 soldiers, while the Marines have radios and the ability to use them, giving them the tactical flexibility to maneuver and move that the Romans couldn't match. If this fight were to take place in Europe, then the Marines would be able to use maps of the area to fight in places that nullify the Roman's advantages in numbers.

The Romans were, at one point, the most successful fighting force on the European continent. But a group of 300 physically imposing men with the ability to injure or kill dozens of your own with a metal orb the size of the baseball, punch straight through your shield and several people behind it, and out fight you in hand to hand combat, would probably make you want to run, even if you're well trained and have 60,000 men around you.

Then again, this is just an imaginary dream scenario, so /shrug.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 03:47:35 PM by ZombiLoin »

if 1 shot = 1 kill every time, without missing. in theory they could do this with the amount of ammo they could still realistically carry.
reload time would do them in, though

I feel like the Marines would still have the advantage in any fight. Assuming that they only have infantry weapons, they still have grenade launchers, GPMGs, and disposable rocket launchers that would incapacitate several Romans at a time.
Your entire post is a really good point, but if we're allowing all sides to have access to their complete arsenal of infantry weapons then I still feel that the Marines are forgeted.

If I have 60,000 Roman Soldiers (who depending on definition may not even be Italians) all equipped with bows and arrows, then I can unleash such a volley of arrows that no Marines would survive, even if they took out thousands of Romans.

If we play in a real environment it only gets easier for the Romans to get into a perfect range.

Your entire post is a really good point, but if we're allowing all sides to have access to their complete arsenal of infantry weapons then I still feel that the Marines are forgeted.

If I have 60,000 Roman Soldiers (who depending on definition may not even be Italians) all equipped with bows and arrows, then I can unleash such a volley of arrows that no Marines would survive, even if they took out thousands of Romans.

If we play in a real environment it only gets easier for the Romans to get into a perfect range.

I feel like the Marines would win in most battlegrounds.

If it's on an open plain, I feel like it would go to the Marines. Compare the 800-1200m range of many of the Marine's weapons to the 100-200m range of the bows and arrows used by the Romans. In a wide open space like this (say, the semi-arid regions of Spain, the deserts of North Africa or Palestine) all the marines would have to do would be to kite the Romans, plinking off their soldiers and constantly moving out of the range of their bows. If you want to get real devious, the Marines could lay down mines like Claymores in order to further delay and attrit the Romans.

Similarly, I can't see the Marines losing in a mountainous region either. All the Marines need to do is capture and hold the high ground, and they can fire down on the Romans with impunity.

As for the arrow thing, I don't think it would work very well. Volleys of arrow fire were good at thinning out ranks of tightly packed troops in a formation, softening them up for melee fighters and heavy infantry to finish them off. However, the Marines, due to radio communication, would be able to spread out and fight from multiple positions with no loss to their tactical ability. Once the marines have split up into platoons or squads, archers have to aim at individual targets instead of areas and formations. And it's obvious, but bows are very poor when aiming at an individual target at 100-200m
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:09:26 PM by ZombiLoin »