INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause

Author Topic: INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause  (Read 129211 times)

(I just wanna put it on record here that she can on fact speak Chinese, having been raised largely in Aurum. She's just out of practice)

Brooklyn smiles politely. "Uh, chrysanthemum tea please." When he leaves she drops the smile and looks at Norum again. "Believe me I understand the importance of confidentiality. Elena also made it abundantly clear." She rolls her eyes subtly at the thought of it. It was a little bit of an insult to her intelligence to be told so much, especially when the context was criminal. She was a professional months ago. "But uh, we do need to eventually get talking about business."

"Oh, so she did tell you what we're after then. This skips a lot of trouble that we run into for most, and don't worry—business will come."

Norum waves his hand over his coffee to check its temperature. "Before we continue, I need to know some things... Where are you now? You living in Aurum? Here permanently?"

"I stay in a relatively cheap place in Sharpton south. The traffic is a pain but I guess you don't get much say when you're trying to be discreet. What else do you need?" The barman comes back out with a cup which she accepts with gratitude and places in front of her.

"Stay?.. That sounds like a rather temporary description. So lemme ask you something. Elena and I have been on this Doctor's trail for over two years.... How committed might you be to finding him?"

Ryde's eyes flutter open as he hears his phone buzz, and light up. He doesn't even read the text, he just rolls over in his old bed to try to get some sleep. After a few more buzzes, he sighs and nabs his phone from the nightstand. After reading Elena's text, Ryde groggily responds to the text, "Alright, I'll be there.". As soon as he sends the text, he gets out of the bed, walking down the hall of his short apartment to his bathroom to get ready. Once he gets ready, he walks out the door of his dingy apartment to his destination.

Elena responds promptly.

"I'll pick you up at the station closest to the house,"

The quality of subway cars and stations are poor in Providence. The cars and stations are lined with graffiti. The homeless take refuge in the subway station's stairwells in an attempt to stay out of the evening rain. If it weren't for the heavily armed policemen manning the station, you'd have run a high risk of being robbed. There is also litter everywhere, and the station smells like slightly of smoke and mildew. The cars have trash in them. A busted screen scrolls through news headlines on the wall.

"ART GALLERY OPENS IN SALUS, DISPLAYS ARTIFACTS DREDGED UP FROM OLD CITY"

It is accompanied by a picture of the barges that sit in the bay near Saint Carmichael, with leaning high rises and broken buildings rising up to break the waves. The barges have been at work for years, tearing down the old city underwater to make for a more picturesque ocean view for the residents of Saint Carmichael.

The next panel displays artifacts. A mangled and sea life covered bike, a chair of barnacles, a washing machine overtaken some kind of aquatic plant. None of it is particular beautiful. All of the artifacts are decades old.

The next headline reads, "GOV'T: AVERAGE INCOME ONLY GOING UP"

There are a few people in the car, as well as an armed conductor.

The labyrinthine tunnels have the occasion graffiti on the wall, as well as the occasional homeless taking refuge in the cubbyholes.

Upon receiving this second text message, Daniel rolls out of bed, making and absent-minded hand gesture, which would prompt the blinds over his window to open.  He takes a look outside, the soft orange light shining through and just barely illuminating his studio-apartment.  Outside, he takes a look down at the street, which is a bustle with the usual mid-day lunch rush.  He looks out to the greyish-brown river, a trash-filled barge floats south toward the mouth on the coast. 
     He turns back around to face his nightstand, and reaches for his phone.  The motion activates his alarm clock's HUD, Daniel grimaces at the sudden appearance of the bright white light, and turns back around, tapping away on his phone.  Elena would receive a reply, "When and where?"
     He sets his phone back down on the charging pad, and walks to the bathroom, where he begins showering.

You get a return quickly.

"Location attached to previous message. I'll be there in maybe an hour, depends. I'll let you know."

Ryde looks around the subway car for the remainder of the ride, trying to see if anyone is looking at him suspiciously.

"Elena here. Got a lead on something related to a doctor, augment surgeon of some kind that worked out of Sharpton. Can't tell if its the guy. I'm heading down to check it out. I can take four with me in a car. The guy's apparently left already but I'm gonna give the place a run through to see if we can tell if it's our guy. More details for those interested in person. Send me locations so I can get you if you're interested."

She attaches a location in North Sharpton Annex.
Rog sends a reply.

"k"

Followed two full minutes later by

"still at the shack"

"Stay?.. That sounds like a rather temporary description. So lemme ask you something. Elena and I have been on this Doctor's trail for over two years.... How committed might you be to finding him?"
She leans forward on the table and sips her tea. As she puts it down she inhales sharply to prepare to talk. "I will do what I need to to find this piece of stuff. Doesn't matter if I have to move around or whatever. He's going to fix the stuff in my head and I'm going to move on with my life, even if I have to lose a few years to get it done."

You get a return quickly.

"Location attached to previous message. I'll be there in maybe an hour, depends. I'll let you know."
     Daniel gets out of the shower and looks down at his phone, seeing that he received the text just before he got out of the shower, "Oops," he whispered to himself.
     He picked up the phone and shot a text back, "See you there," it read.

Daniel attached his prosthesis and proceeded to get dressed, in a pair of worn black (but now gray) jeans and a black t-shirt, followed by a brown jacket.  He grabbed his phone and keys, and headed for the roof.  He turned to face a greenhouse, which was covered in mold, water-stains, and an orange tinge from the smog.  He used a key to unlock the padlock that kept it shut, and opened it up.  Inside, under a tarp, was a clean-looking repulse-lift bike.
     Daniel started it up, the clean, electric sound was music to his ears.  He smiled as he pushed it out of the greenhouse, closing the doors behind him.  He put on the vector lock and mounted his bike, the safety harness automatically locked his legs into place.  He disengaged his vector lock, checked his surroundings, and took off, merging into aerial traffic headed toward the meeting-place.

She leans forward on the table and sips her tea. As she puts it down she inhales sharply to prepare to talk. "I will do what I need to to find this piece of stuff. Doesn't matter if I have to move around or whatever. He's going to fix the stuff in my head and I'm going to move on with my life, even if I have to lose a few years to get it done."
Norum leans back, exhaling quickly through his nose and folding his arms. "Fine. Just make sure that you can stay here for a while—and I'm not making any promises, but on the far end, we're looking at two years."

He pauses. "Background?"

"Without getting into too much detail, I was in an army. I am a competent shot and I can use most commuications systems that are popular right now in the corporate and military world." She brings the tea back to her mouth for a moment. "And if it's, like, important, my citizenship is with a country that some people in Aurum might not be 100% happy to deal with. At least that was the vibe when I was here six years ago."

Theme for Tonight

Ryde looks around the subway car for the remainder of the ride, trying to see if anyone is looking at him suspiciously.

You catch a man in the eye and he gives you an angry scowl. The ride continues to be peaceful. The news screen continues scrolling.

"AURUM CORPORATION LOOKS AT PROSPECTS OF LASER LAUNCH FACILITY IN NORTH TERRITORY"
The subtext continues underneath the headline.
"Despite sites near equator with better prospects and space security concerns of foreign nations, Aurum bids for lucrative laser launch facility, gov't maneuvers to outbid Indonesia for Asian spaceport...,"

The article is chased by an ad for Miralipo! The be all end all of weight loss.

"CITY FLOOD CONTROL SYSTEMS AND STORM BARRIER STILL AMONG WORLD RANKINGS"
"As the old city is dredged up from the bay, gov't continues to spend on public works-"

Rog sends a reply.

"k"

Followed two full minutes later by

"still at the shack"

"Where's your shack? I'll swing by,"

Daniel gets out of the shower and looks down at his phone, seeing that he received the text just before he got out of the shower, "Oops," he whispered to himself.
     He picked up the phone and shot a text back, "See you there," it read.

Daniel attached his prosthesis and proceeded to get dressed, in a pair of worn black (but now gray) jeans and a black t-shirt, followed by a brown jacket.  He grabbed his phone and keys, and headed for the roof.  He turned to face a greenhouse, which was covered in mold, water-stains, and an orange tinge from the smog.  He used a key to unlock the padlock that kept it shut, and opened it up.  Inside, under a tarp, was a clean-looking repulse-lift bike.
     Daniel started it up, the clean, electric sound was music to his ears.  He smiled as he pushed it out of the greenhouse, closing the doors behind him.  He put on the vector lock and mounted his bike, the safety harness automatically locked his legs into place.  He disengaged his vector lock, checked his surroundings, and took off, merging into aerial traffic headed toward the meeting-place.

Airborne traffic is relatively light between here and your destination. Only a few cars using this airspace to head in and out of the city. You spot a couple of autonomous flying cargo haulers on the windscreen's AR HUD. A couple flying police and fire vehicles skim the rooftops of buildings, dangerously low, following the contour of major roads.

Behind you, the neon-like and artificial blues of the light pollution of Salus, Midtown, and Chinatown across the bay reflect off the low clouds. Hanley Park to your west and Sharpton reflect white light off the clouds, while Pig Iron's lights are hinted with reds and oranges as hazard lights blink slowly and fires burn as waste from industrial processes. The sprawling concrete mass of favelas spill across the hillside to your north, reflecting light much dimmer than any of the more prosperous districts. Rhodesburg is lost to the night, so destitute that what little light escapes it cannot penetrate the sheets of rain.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 12:10:41 AM by Mr. Hurricane »

Zhang stares at her message, thumb hovering over the "send" button. With difficulty, she taps it. She flops back against the tattered chair she's sitting in, sighing.

"I'm in."

"Without getting into too much detail, I was in an army. I am a competent shot and I can use most commuications systems that are popular right now in the corporate and military world." She brings the tea back to her mouth for a moment. "And if it's, like, important, my citizenship is with a country that some people in Aurum might not be 100% happy to deal with. At least that was the vibe when I was here six years ago."
Norum picks up his coffee cup, pressing it to his lips and taking a sip, initially staring her in the eyes, but at the mention of citizenship, he then glances with his eyes over the bar, noticing the barman had moved behind the bar closest to them, though no other patrons had been listening.

He take another sip and keeps the coffee cup to his lips.

"I'll give you an option. We're conducting an investigation today. I have other work that I need to do but thankfully none of it is urgent at the moment. I can brief you on some of the details in the meantime and get you set up, but I will have to go with you—nothing personal, I assure you."

"Your other option is we find another place to discuss...some concerns of mine–now."

"If you go with the first, we talk about it after. If you go with the second, you might miss out on part, or all of the mission."

Norum sets the cup back down on the saucer.

Ryde continues to leech through the subways, swaying with the cars as he does so.

After about an hour of subway surfing, he ends up at his designated station. He ends up walking from there.