Author Topic: INHUMAN Rebooted — Chapter 1: A Common Cause  (Read 132245 times)

"I'm in."

Airborne traffic is relatively light between here and your destination. Only a few cars using this airspace to head in and out of the city. You spot a couple of autonomous flying cargo haulers on the windscreen's AR HUD. A couple flying police and fire vehicles skim the rooftops of buildings, dangerously low, following the contour of major roads.

Behind you, the neon-like and artificial blues of the light pollution of Salus, Midtown, and Chinatown across the bay reflect off the low clouds. Hanley Park to your west and Sharpton reflect white light off the clouds, while Pig Iron's lights are hinted with reds and oranges as hazard lights blink slowly and fires burn as waste from industrial processes. The sprawling concrete mass of favelas spill across the hillside to your north, reflecting light much dimmer than any of the more prosperous districts. Rhodesburg is lost to the night, so destitute that what little light escapes it cannot penetrate the sheets of rain.
     Daniel takes the time to admire the scenery of the sprawling cityscape.  Having lived in the city his whole life, it's all he's ever known.  To some, the industrial capital of the world was a disgusting place, a constant source of pollution and villainy, a entrepreneur le on the face of the Earth.  To Daniel, this place was home, to him it was beautiful.
     Daniel approaches the meeting place, and searches for a good place to park his bike.  He taps a button on one of the handles, "Call Elena," he said, and the bike executed his command, dialing Elena through his phone.

Ryde continues to leech through the subways, swaying with the cars as he does so.

After about an hour of subway surfing, he ends up at his designated station. He ends up walking from there.

This part of Sharpton looks exceedingly poor. The blocks in question seem to have minimal residency. The architecture is distinctly British, but the buildings have been added on to and poorly maintained in the nearly two centuries after colonialism. Any more recent additions stand out sorely in contrast to the first structures built. Most the of buildings are boarded up and graffitied. One of the tags is from a skinhead gang, spouting off tribals epithets, along with a Flash and Circle.

Elena picks up Rog and Zhang in her diesel-electric jalopy, and begins driving to the target location.

"Good evening," she greets.

Daniel takes the time to admire the scenery of the sprawling cityscape.  Having lived in the city his whole life, it's all he's ever known.  To some, the industrial capital of the world was a disgusting place, a constant source of pollution and villainy, a entrepreneur le on the face of the Earth.  To Daniel, this place was home, to him it was beautiful.
     Daniel approaches the meeting place, and searches for a good place to park his bike.  He taps a button on one of the handles, "Call Elena," he said, and the bike executed his command, dialing Elena through his phone.

Elena picks up quickly.

"Hello?"

To Zhang and Rog it is not apparent the Elena is on the phone.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:13:22 PM by Mr. Hurricane »

Ryde takes a quick glance at his phone, not wanting to give attention to the denizen thief that would try to steal his phone, to look at the address.

Norum picks up his coffee cup, pressing it to his lips and taking a sip, initially staring her in the eyes...

Norum sets the cup back down on the saucer.
"I would like to see how you operate. I will join you today. We can wait to talk about business because how you act will probably tell me more than anything else anyway"

Sorry it's short I have a surprisingly active Saturday

Elena picks up Rog and Zhang in her diesel-electric jalopy, and begins driving to the target location.

"Good evening," she greets.
Rog gives Elena a grunt of acknowledgement and quickly drifts off to half-sleep once seated.

"I would like to see how you operate. I will join you today. We can wait to talk about business because how you act will probably tell me more than anything else anyway"
Norum nods, finishes his coffee and places it on the saucer.

Then, he scoots out of the booth and stands, walking to the barman and taking out his wallet and sliding him his card. Wordlessly, the man waves the card over a black pad on the desk and leans in to the monitor, holding out his hand. A red line scans quickly from the tip of his middle finger, over his hand and down to his wrist.

The barman gives Norum his payment card back, which Norum slips back into his wallet, and slips his wallet back into his pocket.

He walks back to Brooklyn, "Alright, let's head out."

As the two walk out, Norum calls Elena on his phone.... "C'mon, pickup..."

"Hello?"
     Daniel replies, "Yeah, where's a good place to park?  I don't want people loving with my bike."

Ryde takes a quick glance at his phone, not wanting to give attention to the denizen thief that would try to steal his phone, to look at the address.

The address is a twenty minute walk. On the streets that are less abandoned, there is activity, most of which is in bars. On the abandoned blocks though, people are scarce.

Rog gives Elena a grunt of acknowledgement and quickly drifts off to half-sleep once seated.

Elena starts to talk only to see Rog as shut his eyes.

She glances at Zhang, then turns back to the road, seemingly distracted with the road.

Norum nods, finishes his coffee and places it on the saucer.

Then, he scoots out of the booth and stands, walking to the barman and taking out his wallet and sliding him his card. Wordlessly, the man waves the card over a black pad on the desk and leans in to the monitor, holding out his hand. A red line scans quickly from the tip of his middle finger, over his hand and down to his wrist.

The barman gives Norum his payment card back, which Norum slips back into his wallet, and slips his wallet back into his pocket.

He walks back to Brooklyn, "Alright, let's head out."

As the two walk out, Norum calls Elena on his phone.... "C'mon, pickup..."

"Yo,"

Daniel replies, "Yeah, where's a good place to park?  I don't want people loving with my bike."

"I can watch the bike if you need,"

"Hey, Brooklyn seems good to go, or at least seems motivated. I'll need to follow up later. Are you able to swing by Chun's bar or anywhere nearby for a pickup?"

He'd continue on the road to the address, taking glances down as many alleyways as he passes.

"I can watch the bike if you need,"
     "Yeah, yeah sure that works.  I'm gonna set it down on the roof of the meeting-place," he replied.  He then looked for the roof of the place, to make sure it was a viable landing space.

"Hey, Brooklyn seems good to go, or at least seems motivated. I'll need to follow up later. Are you able to swing by Chun's bar or anywhere nearby for a pickup?"

"We're already near Sharpton, sorry,"

She pauses briefly.

"I tracked down another person who may be interested in working with us. You available to talk to them?"

He'd continue on the road to the address, taking glances down as many alleyways as he passes.

The alleys are dirty, dark, and dampened with the evening rain. As you get further into North Sharpton and closer to the target building, the structures look progressively worse. Many of them are marked by the city as condemned, and display fading metal placards of a white square with a red X.

"Yeah, yeah sure that works.  I'm gonna set it down on the roof of the meeting-place," he replied.  He then looked for the roof of the place, to make sure it was a viable landing space.

"You own a repulsor-lift bike?"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:37:32 PM by Mr. Hurricane »

"You own a repulsor-lift bike?"
     "Yeah, don't... yeah, I own one.  Can you keep it safe?" Daniel inquired, as he began to set it down on the rooftop of the meeting-place.

"Yeah, don't... yeah, I own one.  Can you keep it safe?" Daniel inquired, as he began to set it down on the rooftop of the meeting-place.

Daniel arrives first and is unable to park his bike on the roof, due to the slope and the irregular added on structures.

"I see you now. I'll watch it."

The car ride is mostly silent. Elena's jalopy rolls up the road and stops just thirty yards from the building. She quickly steps out and waves down Daniel overhead.

"We're here," she says to Zhang and Rog.

Ryde was passed by the jalopy unbeknownst to Elena, and arrives within a minute.

Daniel, unable to land on the roof, decides to land down by Elena's car.