Blockland: Community Edition Proposal

Poll

Support?

Yes
No
I'd like something tweaked (post below)

Author Topic: Blockland: Community Edition Proposal  (Read 14314 times)

what about casual gamers who cant manipulate computer directories for their life? lots of people can click a list of games on steam and hit play, but a surprising number have trouble navigating computer directories, esp younger players like me back in 2008

Or again, close the game forever. That sounds like it'll piss off a lot of people.
if someone gets pissed of because the refuse to download something that appears to be essential to the entire games community then that's their problem.

what about casual gamers who cant manipulate computer directories for their life? lots of people can click a list of games on steam and hit play, but a surprising number have trouble navigating computer directories, esp younger players like me back in 2008
couldn't someone just make an installer for it?

This "launcher" can also work as an installer. It could try to find where blockland is and just patch it, then put a shortcut on the desktop.

ideally though this community edition update wouldnt prevent vanilla users from joining. in the spirit of blockland modding, it should work on all servers and allow any user to join said server if hosted using the update.

plus like no other game out there boots players just to make them install a "sketchy" exe not through steam workshop

ideally though this community edition update wouldnt prevent vanilla users from joining. in the spirit of blockland modding, it should work on all servers and allow any user to join said server if hosted using the update.

edit: I misread your post somehow, thought it said "would prevent vanilla users from joining".

If it just tells players they should get it, won't that make many of the things suggested here impossible, like the gui improvements?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:57:38 PM by Zeblote »

edit: I misread your post somehow, thought it said "would prevent vanilla users from joining".

If it just tells players they should get it, won't that make many of the things listed in the OP impossible?
you can still do a lot of QoL upgrades like gui and lights and improved centerprint/bottomprint restrictions. theres a lot to improve that doesnt require clients to have the custom client as well. by the time the only improvements are those left, ideally the community update is already very widely adopted and it wouldnt be a stretch to require it.

as for gui improvements you can just notify users they need the community update to see it. wouldnt prevent  new players and non-users from at least browsing the server
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:01:42 PM by Conan »

Can someone see if these ideas are even feasible first? Sure it's possible to make an improved lighting system, but would it even run well? Would it cause any game breaking bugs? Would it even be worth it?

And before you respond with "yes" to my question, prove it, give us something we can try for ourselves to decide if it's worth it or not. Setting your goals too high is a really bad idea, start small.

Can someone see if these ideas are even feasible first? Sure it's possible to make an improved lighting system, but would it even run well? Would it cause any game breaking bugs? Would it even be worth it?

It is possible to make a new renderer as a dll injection, yes. However... it's an extremely stupid idea.

And before you respond with "yes" to my question, prove it, give us something we can try for ourselves to decide if it's worth it or not. Setting your goals too high is a really bad idea, start small.
oh its definitely possible, but doing so is almost certainly a waste of time. anything you can do by editing the engine code you can do through .dll's

oh its definitely possible, but doing so is almost certainly a waste of time. anything you can do by editing the engine code you can do through .dll's
It is possible to make a new renderer as a dll injection, yes. However... it's an extremely stupid idea.
My point stands.

The issue of people not being able to install it isn't real. If this were to become a thing with a launcher, it would handle everything for the user. They would just have to visit a web page, click download, and then open the program.

My point stands.
the reason it isnt worth it (from my understanding) is cause rendering as a whole takes actual technical knowledge regarding efficiency and vector calculations and also how the game engine handles 3d objects, and anyone with this knowledge probably has better things to do irl, like make money in a job doing this stuff

its worth it in the long run in terms of payoff for effort (better efficiency, more lights, better shaders), but basically anyone who can probably doesnt want to put in the effort either way

you can still do a lot of QoL upgrades like gui and lights and improved centerprint/bottomprint restrictions. theres a lot to improve that doesnt require clients to have the custom client as well. by the time the only improvements are those left, ideally the community update is already very widely adopted and it wouldnt be a stretch to require it.

This would be a better way to go about it. Start with simple stuff, like bugfixes and QOL updates, nothing too big. Add the bugfixes that would only be possible through dlls and stuff, Then, if its REALLY needed or if the community would be accepting of it, start adding the big stuff.

Modding is really big for this game and the intention of this should be to fix default bugs and add QoL additions that wouldnt be possible without dlls and stuff. Expand and remove limitations on the torquescript language and add a framework to make add-ons created with lua or javascript possible/easier. (if it isnt already with those dlls)

The focus of this shouldnt be to make the game look cooler, it should add the frameworks to make it possible with normal add-ons.

My point stands.

You haven't made any point. Obviously noone is going to make an extremely complex dll just to show you that it can be done.

doublepost because something new and "exciting"! I made a mockup of a new wrench menu.

It pops up when you look at a brick, but you can keep moving and looking around. You would have to wrench the brick or press M to actually interact with the GUI.
It's missing the copy checkboxes, but I think that you should hit a copy button, select things, and then hit paste to apply it. Maybe an autopaste checkbox too, to retain that original thing. Cuts down on the number of checkboxes you need to worry about.

bad. the wrench menu isnt in any way broken, it gets the job done. the only issue you could argue it has is that it's visually cluttered, and this replacement menu is much worse in that regard. the only change I could really see that would improve the wrench menu would be to have all the directional options for items and emitters only appear if one of those is actually selected in the drop down menu, and even that much might be unnecessary. otherwise a reskin would be plenty to pretty it up.