Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)

Author Topic: Block Party (Terrain Ex. Pg.124 - 2Million Blocks)  (Read 232211 times)

Blockland with terrain? Beautiful

You should change the page in the title from pg. 97 to pg. 99

Blockland with terrain? Beautiful
Yes sir. Infinite terrain is a feature I'm really looking forward to implementing, but will probably wait until Beta stage.

You should change the page in the title from pg. 97 to pg. 99
Fixed, thanks.

i'm
getting
e x c i t e d

or maybe I've played more than two games in my entire life and have seen enough of a variety to know they look nothing alike

I bet you also think 5:4 and 4:3 ratios look the same too
They look very alike, you're just plain handicapped. Sorry bud, didn't mean to strike a nerve.

The forgets this even mean anyway lol? I'm comparing two models from two games, playing 'more than two games in my entire life' and 'having seen enough variety' isn't relevant and makes no sense. It's a comparison between two things, not an aesthetic across the entire gaming industry as a whole.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 12:59:57 PM by Mr. Bones »

I think the winner should be only conceptual right now. No offense to zeubermedic at all, but they don't really look like final game models yet.

I think the winner should be only conceptual right now. No offense to zeubermedic at all, but they don't really look like final game models yet.
yeah

try using octagonal shapes instead of rectangular shapes.

Yeah, it was just a conceptual design contest - I'll work on the final tool designs eventually.

Update: 3/18/2018

New Brick Models & Importing Script
- A couple new models for bricks have been added! A speaker brick and three cylindrical bricks have been added (modeled by mario0126 / Flairieve). I also included some basic plates, 1x tall bricks, ramps and two window bricks (with transparent glass).
- A script was also recently added, that makes importing custom bricks much MUCH easier. Eventually, this script can be used for third party content, but for now it's being used for development purposes. When a brick is imported into the game via this script, it will automatically calculate brick rotation in advance for you, as well as set up brick culling (not yet working) and create a simplified render model of the brick.

Brick Rotation
- Bricks can now be rotated before being planted (which was much more difficult to get working than it sounds =/).

Permanent Vertex Coloring
- You can now set up permanent vertex colors for bricks when they're being modeled, and have them be applied in-game. Brick faces / objects that have vertex coloring preassigned will not have custom paint colors applied to them (when the brick itself is recolored). But, all other faces of the brick will. You can also set up transparent colors, for things like glass windows.
- Soon, I hope to add actual painting of bricks, but for now a color randomizer is being used.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:43:12 AM by [GSF]Ghost »

thought: being able to color window glass independently from the frame

thought: being able to color window glass independently from the frame
I did have that option before, but it's no longer included due to how bricks are now handled. Although, I could probably add that feature back in eventually.

How many bricks can the game support before hitting memory issues? I'm guessing all the bricks have combined meshes