Why Badspot stopped updating Blockland?

Author Topic: Why Badspot stopped updating Blockland?  (Read 6094 times)

when you work on a game for about 10 years, you start to get sick of it and lose interest in the project.
badspot likely wants to move onto other things that he's more interested in; it's entirely possible that badspot returns to blockland if he wants to, but don't hold your breath.

he doesnt care about the game as much, honestly i cant blame him, the game has a microscopic following, but he had many openings to fix that but hes losing interest, honestly i wont be suprised when he hands the game over to someone in the community

there's literally nothing else that needs updating lol. the game is a finished, fully functional product.

Lets see...
The population might drop again if he does something major
It might not be very fun anymore (not saying that it is 100%)
And there really is no need for change.
Also
there's literally nothing else that needs updating lol. the game is a finished, fully functional product.

There are tons of things he can add. Such as more player dynamic variables likes those speed values, it would be nice if we could set jump force on players for an example instead of using a few datablocks - he could also include those dlls that other people have made to make it easier.

There's nothing that needs to be added, but I think he should let some of the (non narcissistic/insane) modders add stuff that can't be done with mods, like new decals, player items, etc.

If the game were still being updated, I would love a launcher to select between v20 or v21.

edit: maybe different master servers, etc. (only display v20 servers on v20, etc.)

am i gonna get euthanized for saying this
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 07:14:28 PM by BlocklandLuver2145 »

V20 and v21 are very imcompatible. Anyone hosting a v20 server will crash anyone on a v21 game. Splitting the community with these versions is a bad ides especially when we are a small community.

V20 and v21 are very imcompatible. Anyone hosting a v20 server will crash anyone on a v21 game. Splitting the community with these versions is a bad ides especially when we are a small community.
True. He could just try to find compatibility with maps and shaders though, the consequence is just that it would probably lag a lot unless Badspot finds a way to make it not lag as much.

If he's not going to add a couple of functions for modders, he's not going to do monumental changes that we don't even need.. He's not going to split our already small community. He's not going to the massive amount of work he intentionally avoided when bringing out shaders.

Didn't Badspot literally switch because he "wanted more updates" and "v20 makes that a harder process". See the thing is little updates matter a lot just to keep the game fresh. Most people aren't asking for big updates anymore, at least something. When you play a game you shouldn't have to download stuff just to fix stuff. This is a sandbox which i understand is the whole base of the community, but game breaking or just in general stupid stuff should be fixed by the dev. Now the biggest issue i have ever seen is with the community. Not that it's toxic but the fact is criticizing the game. When saying the game is dying (not saying it is), people in general get defensive which wouldn't be bad if not for the fact they say make your own servers when a good amount of these people go to criticize their servers. And the point i'm trying to make with all this is updating the game little by little and having the community realize there is a creativity slump/issue then it would make the game better.

Realistically if it stays the same then the community will be the same 100 people coming up with ideas and more than half being done already or generally not good, while badspot not giving attention to the game anymore. Whether the game is dying is always a debate, most people can agree that generally there have been more rp's than recent times while the quality of those rps been tremendously worse in recent times.

This game means so much to me and quite honestly has helped me with a lot of stuff, while also making me grow as a person online and offline, getting interested in computers and csgo.  Seeing something i cherish so much just disappear like it never existed kills me.

how did removing maps kill the game
honestly i think they looked sloppy and completely unlike the general style of blockland. sure you could do some creative stuff with it i'm sure most people would agree that 99% of the time when you made a server it was on slate

i've been playing since 2009. i used to make tons of maps for fun. hell i made like the entire terrain from oblivion a couple years ago. when i found out maps were removed i was loving happy as stuff. sure i lost hours of progress but now the game is 10x better

anyone who made maps can tell you how loving awfully painful it was to make it. the terrain would bug out a lot, it would turn pink randomly, getting textures right was a pain in the ass, etc. being able to build with bricks allows for so much more control and refined detail that couldn't be achieved with the maps

it's like if badspot removed .dts file format and replaced it with his own custom voxel model editor. sure i'd be a little shaken, but the process behind making models for blockland is loving awful and so backwards / inefficient that anything could be better

also another thing is that i feel like the overall build quality got better after maps were taken out. i dunno if it's just me but back in the day most of the builds that were considered good really pale in comparison to most things