'The Hobbit' turns 80

Author Topic: 'The Hobbit' turns 80  (Read 1622 times)

Today in 1937, J.R.R Tolkien released The Hobbit. Arguably one of my favorite books and part of my favorite series. The films and playing TES: Oblivion was what got me into the fantasy world, I took the time to read the books and loved them (LoTR however was a bit slower imo...)

I guess rereading it is a bit hobbit forming.

I guess rereading it is a bit hobbit forming.

old hobbits die hard

Aren't you two hobbitual problem users...

very fun little book :D habby birthday hobbit

nerds have plagued our planet for 80 years

Aren't you two hobbitual problem users...
Hey, those puns are not as bad as some users'.

i had no clue that book was this old what in the god dam

I bet the hobbit will be be one of the old classics like beowulf or the odyssey in a thousand years or so.

A beautiful story too, probably one of my favorite reads during a stormy cold day.

i like the funny little men:) in the book

I loved the Hobbit as a book. I also loved the first 2 Hobbit films and didn't like the 3rd much. First 2 felt a lot like a long slow-paced adventure film and the 3rd felt like a Marvel Movie. I know the Hobbit films got a lot of stuff and they have obvious flaws (Legolas and the stuffty romance didn't need to be in it) but I still loved them. I feel like a lot of people wanted them to be LOTR 2 but that just wasn't what the book was and I thought that it was really great.

Anyway, I'm watching the Tolkien Hobbit edit. It's basically an edit that combined them all into a 2 hour movie. It's really fun and follows the plot of the book much more closely. I love the long films but I don't really want to invest the time lol

best scene from the Hobbit: https://youtu.be/c0_yi2p6OgI

I loved the Hobbit as a book. I also loved the first 2 Hobbit films and didn't like the 3rd much. First 2 felt a lot like a long slow-paced adventure film and the 3rd felt like a Marvel Movie. I know the Hobbit films got a lot of stuff and they have obvious flaws (Legolas and the stuffty romance didn't need to be in it) but I still loved them. I feel like a lot of people wanted them to be LOTR 2 but that just wasn't what the book was and I thought that it was really great.

Anyway, I'm watching the Tolkien Hobbit edit. It's basically an edit that combined them all into a 2 hour movie. It's really fun and follows the plot of the book much more closely. I love the long films but I don't really want to invest the time lol

best scene from the Hobbit: https://youtu.be/c0_yi2p6OgI
yeah despite jackson's alterations in his adaptations both trilogies are 100% without a doubt masterpieces. i was extra sad when the last goodbye played at the end of the hobbit because i really wanted a silmarillion movie or something that goes back into the days of morgoth. i guess it wouldnt be AS interesting as lotr or the hobbit but holy forget id pay all the moneys to see some more middle earth history made into an epic film

silmarillion movie would be great but no way in hell would it break a profit