the net neutrality thread

Author Topic: the net neutrality thread  (Read 8297 times)

Bow to your new god.

loving indians. I guess since they are having trouble scamming us through the internet they want to revenge so they can forget up the internet all together.
*blocks your internet*

Please, please
Snip the image or shrink it.

this video i made a while ago is now more relevant than ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enWwtPuLxTc

bump
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/367929-senate-bill-to-reverse-net-neutrality-repeal-wins-30th-co-sponsor-ensuring
Y E S
I see no reason why this shouldn't pass. Net Neutrality isn't a partisan issue. It has overwhelming support among both Democrats and Republicans.

If people actually manage to partisan-ize this and deadlock it among party lines, then we're forgeted as a country.

lol time to get rid of ten megabytes of research

For some reason, I had a dream about a hotel co-founded by Ajit Pai, so I thought it’d be relevant.
Everything in the hotel ran like a shop.  You had to pay money for towels and food, and instead of elevators/bedrooms, people had couches that spun on one of those garage gondola things.

i recieved these emails from Representative Jody Hice and Senator Johnny Isakson. thought y'all might like to read them too 

From Jody Hice:
As you may know, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has used a light-touch approach to regulating the Internet since the mid-1990s under the direction of the Clinton Administration, declaring that U.S. policy was to leave the Internet "unfettered by Federal or State regulation." The outcome was an explosion of investment and innovation within the area of communications, services, and commerce. As a result, innovations like real-time banking and information services, social platforms, streaming media, telework, telemedicine, and distance learning have emerged without government interference. However, despite this historically successful deregulatory approach and the results of the groundbreaking innovation that followed, in 2015, the FCC reversed decades of precedence in seeking a strict reclassification of broadband services from Title I to Title II of the Telecommunications Act of 1996 without the input or approval of Congress to rewrite this existing law. This reclassification placed all broadband provision under archaic guidelines established for telephone networks in 1934.

Title II classification allows unelected bureaucrats to micromanage the ways in which private companies manage their networks. To be clear, Title II classification is not equivalent to the principles of Network Neutrality. While the principles of Net Neutrality are intended to provide transparency provisions to consumers and guarantee that Internet users will not have their access blocked to a particular website, provisions of Title II ironically stripped power from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to protect Internet users with consumer protections. Moreover, the FCC did not have the authority to rewrite law or change the oversight jurisdiction of the Internet from Title I to Title II. Only Congress has the authority to makes those changes, and Chairman Pai's move to return oversight to Title I is the correct and lawful approach.

As it has been for two decades, the consumer mandate is for Internet freedom, yet the FCC - under the Obama Administration - set out to accomplish just the opposite by moving Internet oversight into the Title II category and ever closer to a government-controlled utility. In March of 2017, Congress rolled back an Obama-era midnight regulation using the Congressional Review Act (CRA) in order to restore the Federal Trade Commission's authority over Internet-related privacy issues. On May 23, 2017, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai released the Restoring Internet Freedom Notice of Proposed Rulemaking announcing that the FCC would restore the light-touch regulatory framework used on Internet service providers (ISPs) by returning classification of broadband Internet service under the Title I framework.

This order would further revert to the transparency rule adopted in the 2010 Open Internet Order, which gives consumers and entrepreneurs alike access to important information, like network management practices, performance, and commercial terms of broadband Internet access service, while lessening the burdensome reporting obligations added by the 2015 Title II Order. Additionally, blocking access to competitors is already, and remains, against the law and punishable by State Attorneys General.

The 2017 Restoring Internet Freedom Order further restores the authority of the Federal Trade Commission - the Nation's premier consumer protection agency - to its role of consumer watchdog of which the 2015 Order had stripped its authority to protect consumers from any "unfair or deceptive acts or practices" committed by ISPs.

The Restoring Internet Freedom Order came before the five FCC Commissioners for a vote on December 14, 2017 during the FCC's Monthly Meeting. The vote was tallied at 3-2 in favor.

I remain committed to supporting a free and open Internet, and I believe that the steps taken by FCC Chairman Ajit Pai will help to continue this legacy and move us closer to a Congressional action to overhaul the Telecommunications Act of 1996 and a permanent, legislated framework. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should any legislation concerning this issue come before the full House for a vote.

From Senator Johnny Isakson:
I have consistently been opposed to attempts by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to regulate the Internet, because I believe that the competition created by the free market will better ensure that the Internet remains open and free. I also believe that unnecessary regulations have the potential to stifle innovation and be harmful to consumers.

On February 26, 2015, former Chairman Tom Wheeler and the FCC released new net neutrality regulations to the public. The new regulations, adopted by a vote of 3-2, reclassify broadband Internet services as telecommunications services subject to Title II of the Communications Act of 1934. This classification gives the FCC regulatory authority over the Internet and access to its content. While I believe we must remain vigilant against any anti-competitive actions by service or content providers, I do not support this reclassification of the Internet or the expansion of the federal government’s control over the Internet.

On May 18, 2017, the FCC issued a new notice of proposed rulemaking to reconsider the net neutrality rules put in place during the Obama administration. I support the FCC’s decision to revisit this rule, and I will keep a close eye on these issues moving forward. I will also keep your thoughts and concerns in mind should any related legislation come before the Senate for consideration.

whoa it's like people who don't like net neutrality are human beings and have an actual case that isn't "bwarharharhar forget you gib me monee"

For some reason, I had a dream about a hotel co-founded by Ajit Pai, so I thought it’d be relevant.
Everything in the hotel ran like a shop.  You had to pay money for towels and food, and instead of elevators/bedrooms, people had couches that spun on one of those garage gondola things.
wtf

whoa it's like people who don't like net neutrality are human beings and have an actual case that isn't "bwarharharhar forget you gib me monee"

I think calling them humans is a bit of a stretch