Why does it seem like you have to be a veteran to host a successful server?

Author Topic: Why does it seem like you have to be a veteran to host a successful server?  (Read 6604 times)

to be honest tho i've found that most of the most popular servers are the same garbage gamemodes being hosted over and over by newbies, like family rp's and grapple knife. the popularity of those vs the popularity of actual good servers hosted by veterans is split about 50-50

I remember when you had to port forward to host a server. It was a naturual barrier against stuff servers.
Why wouldn't you still have to?

Why wouldn't you still have to?
UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) allows you to host without port forwarding. I don't know if its the same for dedicated server though

Doesn't matter if the server is dedicated

I can honestly think of multiple counterexamples to this of people that spent a good amount of time developing an actually decent server to host. From your perspective now they're probably veterans but they weren't when they started hosting the server.

You don't need to be a "veteran" to host a successful server, but you do need to know your stuff first. If you try and host something but don't know how to actively keep people in it, or don't know how to monitor it and eradicate problematic folks, or even just communicate with the people in it, then your server will most likely just flock and fail.

UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) allows you to host without port forwarding. I don't know if its the same for dedicated server though
only players with UPnP on their routers as well can join. this excludes a lot of people on public wifi, or have outdated routers.

title should be 'why does it seem like you have to be a veteran to host a half assed server'
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 01:09:35 AM by Trogtor »

trog, what does that even mean?

title should be 'why does it seem like you have to be a veteran yo host a half assed server'
are you drunk

to* not yo

basically what im saying is from experience that if you have a reputable name it doesn't matter if you're hosting literal stuff. people will join.

Veterans understand the game more and know what the community likes and dislikes.

"Why does it seem like you have to have experience to host a successful server?"

i mean hes kinda right, I don't go to a server unless the hoster is popular. sorry

In my experience, it's all about retaining those first few players. Once you get a couple people to stay and play with you, the server will rise on the list.