Net neutrality shenanigins are happening.

Author Topic: Net neutrality shenanigins are happening.  (Read 36881 times)

You implied I'm part of some unspecified group of "you people" which makes my position not worthy of acknowledgement or rebuttal

I said arguing with people like you is a waste of time. It's a waste of time because your views are entrenched and you'll never concede or reach any sort of meaningful conclusion. I'm not trying to say that because you belong to some group your views are unfounded. What I said wasn't even close to that, it's completely handicapped that you reached this conclusion.

Also your views aren't worthy of acknowledgement or rebuttal because they're stupid views. You're coming the wrong conclusion on why this was a bad deal and why it's anti-consumer. Because of the previous point, I don't see any benefit in having any sort of discourse if it's going to change literally nothing. We're all shafted in the end, you're just too used to playing up the contrarian ball.

Give me an example of an ISP that censors legal content from its customers
ex) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/27/us/27verizon.html

Data caps are a garbage business practice; the way to solve it is to introduce competition to break their pesudo-monopoly in areas in which they are the only provider. Then, customers wouldn't be forced to concede to such a garbage practice.

At least we can agree on that

If you're living below the poverty line, you have bigger issues than broadband access. Paying for broadband for people below the poverty line would require the money to come from somewhere, likely taxes, and I don't think most people are content to pay taxes to subsidize some social program that isn't really a necessity such as food, water, or electricity.
Since the internet has increased in popularity it is becoming somewhat of a "need" because many people rely on it for their job, schooling, etc. It only makes sense to establish it as a utility for these reasons

btw, electricity is not a necessity it is a luxury
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:06:06 PM by Goth77 »

technically 99% of the things we have today arent necessities such as beds but in modern day society not having those things doesnt get you far

in a first world country, electricity might as well be a necessity

anti-vax flat earth conspiracy theorist "weed cures cancer" is one thing. but this? damn, dude

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_United_States#Violations

There's some more examples of violations. It really wasn't that hard to look up at all. 

Just look at phone dataplans, there are some with zero rating for certain streaming services.  Now it's all nice and stuff to have free data but that gives one company a huge advantage.  Comcast is almost 100% going to allow Hulu which they own to get to the end user for way cheaper than a competing service like netflix or amazon.

In most places in the US a home without power would be deemed unfit to live in so it pretty much is.

anti-vax flat earth conspiracy theorist "weed cures cancer" is one thing. but this? damn, dude

I mean electricity isn't a necessity but it sure as forget is useful. The point he's trying to make is that a utility doesn't mean it has to be life critical. Internet is certainly critical, there are swathes of infrastructure built on Internet that needs to be treated as such.

CBD shrinks tumors

electricity is more than a luxury. most places in the US a life without electricity cripples infrastructure, even a life without the internet does the same thing

LOL. how many innovations in networking technology have you seen after NN was introduced? before net neutrality, there were all sorts of incredible innovations like the invention of the radio, internet as well as IP services.

also, research has gotten much better. just ask ted cruz

I've lived in an area with a lot of amish and they seem to make it just fine through their daily lives

technically 99% of the things we have today arent necessities such as beds but in modern day society not having those things doesnt get you far
Very true

I mean electricity isn't a necessity but it sure as forget is useful. The point he's trying to make is that a utility doesn't mean it has to be life critical

Indeed

can we go back to bowienet already