Author Topic: I'm in a Game Designer class - Platformer Prototype Video (Pg.3)  (Read 4232 times)

There is this game designer course that I was planning to get into for a while now, but I finally managed to join in this year, it started this month and it will take two years to complete, I'll be learning a lot of different tools and programs and how to manage games and a studio financially wise among other important things, I believe this will be an important step for me and I'm really happy about this decision, I was wondering if any of you did something similar or managed to learn a lot of new tools by yourself and how was your experience with all of this.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:18:36 AM by Filipe »

That's good news!
I hope you enjoy your time and learn a lot.
I did Game Design with more of a focus on programming (the Game Design was just a form of the computer science study).
Pretty sure there are more people that had a game design course or something similar.

Also, pretty sure this belongs more in off-topic.
While it is about games, it is more of a personal thing that happened to you.
Alternatively (and surely worth a visit) you could go to the Game Design topic in Creativity for inspiration or searching fellow game design followers.
But great news anyway!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:08:51 AM by lordician »

Good stuff. I'm trying to start a Game Development club here at my college. We recently got an esports team so hopefully there will be plenty of people interested.

That's good news!
I hope you enjoy your time and learn a lot.
I did Game Design with more of a focus on programming (the Game Design was just a form of the computer science study).
Pretty sure there are more people that had a game design course or something similar.

Also, pretty sure this belongs more in off-topic.
While it is about games, it is more of a personal thing that happened to you.
Alternatively (and surely worth a visit) you could go to the Game Design topic in Creativity for inspiration or searching fellow game design followers.
But great news anyway!
I thought it was more appropriate here since we will talk about game development subjects.

i do game school so along game design (for me purely focused on design of games), game tech (engines, software), 2D, 3D, animation, media design, and a quarterly project in where we get a small group and make a game

i do game school so along game design (for me purely focused on design of games), game tech (engines, software), 2D, 3D, animation, media design, and a quarterly project in where we get a small group and make a game

I'll be doing plenty of these too.

So today we began doing the basics of our very first game, it will be a 2D platform sidescroller, but the concept is ours to create.

It's like a homework, we're using the Construct 2 engine for it, the idea I came up with will be about delivering a package to someone which is on the end of the stage, once I have something presentable I'll showcase it here in a video, the concept name is Delivery Rush.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:23:32 AM by Filipe »

deliver a piping hot pizza

So today we began doing the basics of our very first game, it will be a 2D platform sidescroller, but the concept is ours to create.

It's like a homework, we're using the Construct 2 engine for it, the idea I came up with will be about delivering a package to someone which is on the end of the stage, once I have something presentable I'll showcase it here in a video, the concept name is Delivery Rush.
CONSTRUCT 2 IS GREAT, I USE IT FOR MY GAMES!

aw sweet, hope u have a good time with it!
i did take a short minor game designing class a couple years ago, it was pretty basic but fun lol

aw sweet, hope u have a good time with it!
i did take a short minor game designing class a couple years ago, it was pretty basic but fun lol

I did release my crappy game I've been working on for a year using the engine

protip: learn how to use git & sourcetree, my school only started teaching this in the second year so after a year of using unity collab we suddenly had to switch to git instantly and it was a mess
idk what engine you guys use for your projects, but at my school its typically unity and sometimes gamemaker

protip: learn how to use git & sourcetree, my school only started teaching this in the second year so after a year of using unity collab we suddenly had to switch to git instantly and it was a mess
idk what engine you guys use for your projects, but at my school its typically unity and sometimes gamemaker
Gamemaker is good for quick prototypes of certain games.
Unity is a good starting engine, though many people recommend moving past Unity or only using Unity for prototypes.

Using some sort of version control (subversion, git, whatever) will become a useful and mandatory thing if you want to do anything with it later on.
So investing time into learning how to use that stuff is recommended indeed.