Author Topic: Dueling Ranged Weapons [Beta] [Flintlock Pistol]  (Read 14628 times)

Also for UI just use |||||||||||||
It's a super uncluttered and unintrusive charging bar. Like the medkit addon

you mean for reloading?

ill put in the fixes today. it turns out a bunch of bugs i fixed made it through cause i didnt save them to the base script files

Make a throwing spear you nerd!!!!

you mean for reloading?

ill put in the fixes today. it turns out a bunch of bugs i fixed made it through cause i didnt save them to the base script files
is this regarding the UI bar or the post before it cuz u should read the post before it

the ui bar, my response to your post is here. i was on mobile at the time and couldnt respond. i was just thinking of throwing in a "reloading" and "reloaded" for centerprint but i suppose a bar would work too.

Why is the crossbow so much better than the musket? It does half as much damage but the reload time is 1/4th of the musket. The crossbow deals 2.2x more damage on average every second

My suggestion: give the musket 7-8 second load time. Single shot high damage guns should generally be slightly better than low damage fast guns because shots are riskier. Missing the first shot means you are basically dead whereas the auto gun could land 50 damage before your death. That way the slow gun is slightly more rewarding for skilled playersm

Your counter argument is probably gonna be 'but crossbow stops you from moving when reloading' but to be fair with both crossbow and musket nobody is gonna be stupid enough to reload in the open. They'll just retreat behind enemy lines where you have no way to get them. In that sense the movement speed stuff doesn't have much of a difference.
i did want to test these weapons against each other. however anything i hosted that involved both of them ended up with people using muskets 90% of the time cause they feel more powerful or whatever. or people just left :(

regarding raw numbers, its only 1/3 the reload time. i think a raw debuff to projectile speed for both crossbow and hunting bow would balance them better against the musket - right now the max speed of crossbow bolt is 175, bow 120, and musket is 200, so theres little functional difference between using a bow vs a musket. i'll also up the gravity drop on the bows. this should help differentiate the weapons to make them less objectively better.

Version 0.9.0
  • Fixed a bunch of bugs on the musket
  • Fixed centerprint charge - it seems like a bunch of mods have their own function to handle hexToRGB, so if this breaks again let me know.
  • Lowered arrow projectile velocity to 90 max, increased gravityMod to 0.45 (from 0.25)
  • Lowered bolt projectile velocity to 120 max, increased gravityMod to 0.45 (from 0.15)
  • Added CI by Jam Jar, and UI by Pompmaker! thanks dudes <3
  • Added proper item models so the position of the item on spawned bricks makes more sense
  • Changed base bot .dts model name so people will see and download the updated version

Why is the crossbow so much better than the musket? It does half as much damage but the reload time is 1/4th of the musket. The crossbow deals 2.2x more damage on average every second

musket is instakill and actually reloads alot faster than it should

musket is instakill and actually reloads alot faster than it should
it reloads a lot slower than it should. It's a 12 second reload compared to the crossbow's 4 second reload. Also what's with these insanely long reload times Conan? The musket fires at 5 rounds per minute. That has to be the slowest firing gun in all blockland history.

Why do both the crossbow and musket have to kill you with boredom? Can't the reload times be like, 2 for crossbow and 6 for musket? Even that's still insanely slow but there's no reason for that stuff to take 12 seconds besides to anger players. Also should be said that these weapons are unusable for ctf due to how damn slow they are. One could just waltz past unimpeded and take the flag while your team scrambles to field strip clean and polish their guns
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:37:01 PM by PhantOS »

One could just waltz past unimpeded and take the flag while your team scrambles to field strip clean and polish their guns
isn't that what the swords and bayonets are for though

isn't that what the swords and bayonets are for though
the musket's bayonet is probably weaker than the standard dueling melee which makes sense. I'm guessing the musket would be used standalone. Either way, the swords outclass the musket in every way. 200 velocity shots are actually pretty easy to dodge (crouching) so once you miss that shot you're basically a stuffty melee class because your 12 second reload would be suicidal against any melee units. You have an advantage up to the point where you fire the shot, after which you are wholely disadvantaged for the duration of your life. Someone could easily run past you anyways, so chasing them down with the bayonet would be a waste of time, plus you'd be exposing your back to other musketeers who have time yo reload.

The bayonet would be cool if it gave you a small movement boost so it would promote either turtle tactics or fast rushing. It would totally balance stuff out a little bit but besides that the reload time is still insane

Bayonet isn't as OP as it should be, compared to irl.

"compared to irl" - guy in kids Lego video game

phanto your proposed balance changes would make sense if the pack didnt exist alongside the swords. the way the weapons here play is to make them effective over long range but absolute garbage close, esp against enemies with shields. the second reload times are that short, there isn't any tension over dodging or blocking individual shots. it also shortens the range at which melee have the upper hand

theres no reason for the bayonet to exist if reloads were that short too. just dodge 3 hits over 6 seconds and you get another try at instakilling the dude.

Ah. You should do whole team tests like all melee vs all ranged to see how well they match up. Ideally all weapons should have an even 1v1 matchup

Also sorry if I'm coming off as nagging or complaining. I care about u a lot and I care about these weapons and I want to see them evenly balanced. All this is just theory but once you test it you'll know the way cobab