Author Topic: Dueling Ranged Weapons [Beta] [Flintlock Pistol]  (Read 14611 times)

das me in the front of the gif

Well the environment always matters. Even if you ommit the environment entirely then you've created an infinite sight map where snipers can shoot anyone. Map design is the personal challenge of the host, but the weapon creator should design the weapons for an even playing field, assuming the host knows what they are doing.

This argument is kinda moot though because nobody has that level or foresight. If you're hosting a server you should tweak the weapons based on what maps you use. The best example I can think of is if you made a balanced sniper and rocket launcher. But if the host uses these weapons on say, a heavily catwalked map, they'll have to manually debuff the sniper because now the rocket jumper has a whole new dimension of mobility
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:59:28 PM by PhantOS »

i wonder where a flintlock pistol would sit balance wise. would it be best just as a "reskin" of crossbow with longer reload but movement enabled, intentionally weaker than musket so that it can be paired with melee better? or should it still retain single-shot kill capability...

i guess i'll be writing a minimum AND maximum accuracy thing at some point, rather than all weapons reaching perfect accuracy at full charge. would help balance pistol if i do keep it oneshot.

Why not make flintlock like, a single use secondary paired with an extremely slow or close range melee weapon

Why not make flintlock like, a single use secondary paired with an extremely slow or close range melee weapon
i want people to pair it with melee weapons from dueling swords (i got a cutlass/military sabre in a WIP expansion pack that goes really well with these guns). single use sounds like a neat idea, but i dont want to throw reloading out yet

i was thinking of setting the maximum accuracy for the pistol to be pretty low, aka only good for short range. but also allows more mobility while charging. maybe an 80 damage projectile plus the loading slow on the musket, on top of the max accuracy, would be enough to nerf it for practical use alongside bows
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:24:59 PM by Conan »

I'd say not a one-shot, but maybe enable it to be charged faster, instantly start charging after it's drawn (assuming the player had previously loaded it), and also have less accuracy than the hunting bow. Reload speed could sit somewhere between the crossbow and musket.

i want people to pair it with melee weapons from dueling swords (i got a cutlass/military sabre in a WIP expansion pack that goes really well with these guns). single use sounds like a neat idea, but i dont want to throw reloading out yet

i was thinking of setting the maximum accuracy for the pistol to be pretty low, aka only good for short range. but also allows more mobility while charging. maybe an 80 damage projectile plus the loading slow on the musket, on top of the max accuracy, would be enough to nerf it for practical use alongside bows
please don't do this. stuffty accuracy is just unnecessary reliance on rng. Instead just make the projectile dissapear at medium range / deal significantly less damage at distances ie damage falloff

Giving slow fire weapons bad accuracy is not fun. You already rely heavily on your only shot before you are vulnerable, players should be able to make it count without the bullet flying off to the left and hitting grandma
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 10:32:43 PM by PhantOS »

Single-use would be fun, because it wouldn't be far off from how the flintlock pistol was historically used lol

please don't do this. stuffty accuracy is just unnecessary reliance on rng. Instead just make the projectile dissapear at medium range / deal significantly less damage at distances ie damage falloff

Giving slow fire weapons bad accuracy is not fun. You already rely heavily on your only shot before you are vulnerable, players should be able to make it count without the bullet flying off to the left and hitting grandma
im also considering damage falloff but i dont want to be coerced into doing it for the rest of the weapons (cause it'll inevitably happen) so im putting it as last resort

as for accuracy nerf, i dont mean for it to be a lot. just enough that you wouldnt use pistol past 32x baseplate range cause it would be unreliable. think slightly higher than kaje shotgunn. shorter life projectile might work, but in my experience short-life projectiles aren't very clear to the user and thus leads to "wtf that should have hit" feelings.

i'll give single use a try first, but honestly i feel like if i made the reload as long as musket/slightly shorter (since the reloading principle is the same and wouldnt be a lot shorter) it would already play as single use. letting them keep the weapon would allow them to reload it if they kill their enemy and aren't in the immediate line of fire, which is somewhat like how it was historically used.

can you make a version of the musket that pierces? im using it for endless zombies

hey add a rtb pref to disable the long ass ready-ing, like the musket ready and stuff...

I mean are you going for realism or just "throw bullets at them because my attention span is short"

I'll ask a few friends who handle muskets fairly regularly how long it takes to reload.

I mean are you going for realism or just "throw bullets at them because my attention span is short"

I'll ask a few friends who handle muskets fairly regularly how long it takes to reload.
I was thinking more along the lines of "let's keep our combat interesting and not bore the players to death with 2 minute reload times".

Life is boring and stupid. There's a reason why video games exist: to escape life. Making things just as difficult, confusing and boring as real life isn't good design.

Ah. You should do whole team tests like all melee vs all ranged to see how well they match up. Ideally all weapons should have an even 1v1 matchup
no