Author Topic: The Oscars  (Read 3396 times)

Anyone else watching? I do it just to get pissed. Updating with wins.

Best Supporting Actor winner: Sam Rockwell; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
I wanted to win: Three Billboards
I guessed would win: Three Billboards

Best Makeup & Hairstyling winner: Darkest Hour
Didn't care much. Was disappointing that Shape of Water didn't get a nomination.

Best Costume Design winner: Phantom Thread
Didn't care much.

Best Documentary Feature winner: Icarus
I wanted to win: Icarus
I guessed would win: Icarus

So happy Icarus won this. Incredible documentary, second favorite one ever. "Tickled" is my #1, it's insane.

Best Sound Editing winner: Dunkirk
I wanted to win: Baby Driver or Blade Runner 2049
I guessed would win: Baby Driver

Really, Dunkirk? It had a lot of gunfire and stuff but nothing about the audio blew me away, except for how loud it was.

Best Sound Mixing winner: Dunkirk
I wanted to win: Baby Driver or Blade Runner 2049
I guessed would win: Baby Driver

The hell? The entire movie of Baby Driver was synchronized to an INCREDIBLE soundtrack so that all the actions were fluid and brilliant. But DUNKIRK wins because... it had some nice sounding guns.

Best Production Design winner: The Shape of Water
I wanted to win: Blade Runner 2049
I guessed would win: The Shape of Water

Really? Shape of Water gets it over Blade Runner? That movie was incredible and every set was soaked in brilliant set and lighting design. The cgi blended well with the rest of it and the whole thing was incredible. Shape of Water was great and pretty but not even on the same level.

Best Foreign Language Film winner: A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
I wanted to win: The Insult
I guessed would win: The Insult

A Fantastic Woman literally won because it starred a Trans-Woman as the lead.

Best Supporting Actress winner: Allison Janney; I, Tonya
I wanted to win: Octavia Spencer; The Shape of Water
I guessed would win: Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread

I'm gonna be so pissy if Phantom Thread wins supporting actress. Rooting hard for Octavia Spencer from The Shape of Water. She just about made that whole movie.

Best Animated Short winner: Dear Basketball
I wanted to win: Revolting Rhymes (Incredible)
I guessed would win: Lou (generic Disney cartoon)

I am so pissed that Kobe Bryant's awful Basketball short won over the INCREDIBLE Revolting Rhymes. I was watching that film and I swear it just got better and better and better. One of the coolest looking animated shorts I've ever seen. At least it didn't go to this year's generic Disney short.

Best Animated Feature winner: Coco
I wanted to win: Coco
I guessed would win: Coco
I didn't like Coco that much (it was a good movie) but wow, the other options are garbage. I've seen them all and Boss Baby & Ferdinand were bad. Must've been a bad year for animation.

Best Visual Effects winner: Blade Runner 2049
I guessed would win: War For The Planet of The Apes

So happy Blade Runner won this. Oscar judges always seem to vote for the mildly convincing monkey CGI that has been around for like 5+ years now despite the fact that it has made minimal improvements.

Best Film Editing winner: Dunkirk
I wanted to win: Baby Driver
I guessed would win: Dunkirk

What was the impressive film editing in Dunkirk? Baby Driver has incredible sync but Dunkirk didn't have any transitions or anything that astounded me.

Best Documentary Short winner: Heaven Is a Traffic Jam on the 405

Best Live Action Short winner: The Silent Child
I wanted to win: The Eleven O'Clock
I guessed would win: Watu Wote (I was SURE would win)

So pissed that Silent Child won. It was preachy and stupid. They villified the parents to an extreme degree and it was almost comedic. The ending was so stupid (with the girl signing "I LOVE YOU") and almost laughable. The Eleven O'Clock was HILARIOUS and brilliant, one of the funniest shorts I've seen. I didn't think it would win because of the lack of politics, but Watu Wote was also great and really touching. It had political issues and was very tense during the hostage scene. I am dumbfounded that Silent Child won because it was genuinely the worst (or second worst) of the entire selection. Did they watch the films they voted on?

Best Cinematography winner: Blade Runner 2049
I guessed would win: Dunkirk

BLADE RUNNER WON BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY OVER DUNKIRK. I'M SO HAPPY I AM TURNING THE OSCARS OFF RIGHT NOW.

Best Picture winner: The Shape Of Water
I wanted to win: The Shape Of Water
I guessed would win: Three Billboards

Sorry that I didn't update, I was busy having a ten minute long climax after The Shape of Water miraculously beat out Three Billboards for the Oscar. So happy. This almost makes up for Star Trek Beyond getting it's award stolen by Self Delete Squad.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:57:31 PM by McZealot »

how did baby driver not win what the forget

dunkirk actually deserves it. their sounds weren't limited to just fancy guns, there was actually some unique things hans zimmer did in the soundtrack on both the music theory and the cool fan sides of things
along with that they had some really good advertising but that ain't related. along with that if you really look for it some subconscious links are formed between sounds and characters the same way they are in harry potter

also ive never heard of icarus or the billboards lol what are they

dunkirk actually deserves it. their sounds weren't limited to just fancy guns, there was actually some unique things hans zimmer did in the soundtrack on both the music theory and the cool fan sides of things
along with that they had some really good advertising but that ain't related. along with that if you really look for it some subconscious links are formed between sounds and characters the same way they are in harry potter

also ive never heard of icarus or the billboards lol what are they
I'm sure they had high quality sound effects--but have you seen Baby Driver? I saw both and while Dunkirk had a "punch" to some scenes because of the audio Baby Driver was synchronized with audio being played by the main character's iPod through just about the whole movie. Everything that happened was synchronized to it--cars would speed and swerve with the tempo of the song and the character would run around in tune with the music. The fact that they kept that going for (almost) the entire film was outstanding. It wasn't "Best Sound Effects," it was "Best Sound Editing/Mixing", which applies to how well it plays with the rest of the film. I felt like BD blew Dunkirk out of the water in that regard.

the only reason "remember me" is a nominated song is because it's disney/pixar and it's written by a pop artist

like seriously has film music gotten this bland

I'm gonna be so pissy if Phantom Thread wins supporting actress. Rooting hard for Octavia Spencer from The Shape of Water. She just about made that whole movie.

the only reason "remember me" is a nominated song is because it's disney/pixar and it's written by a pop artist

like seriously has film music gotten this bland
It drove me crazy when the boring and plotless "Piper" won best short just because it was by Disney. It had pretty animation, but zero substance.

"three billboards outside ebbing, missouri" literally sounds like a tumblr stuffpost

I am so pissed that Kobe Bryant's awful Basketball short won over the INCREDIBLE Revolting Rhymes. I was watching that film and I swear it just got better and better and better. One of the coolest looking animated shorts I've ever seen. At least it didn't go to this year's generic Disney short.

hey wow coco won who would've guessed

hollywood is just a stinking pile of monopolies and rabid lefties and I'm goddamn sick of it

old man warning

Best Supporting Actor winner: Sam Rockwell; Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

never heard of them

Best Costume Design winner: Phantom Thread

never heard of it

Best Documentary Feature winner: Icarus

never heard of it

Best Production Design winner: The Shape of Water

isn't that that one about the fish thing and that chick

Best Foreign Language Film winner: A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
I wanted to win: The Insult
I guessed would win: The Insult

never heard of them

Best Supporting Actress winner: Allison Janney; I, Tonya
I wanted to win: Octavia Spencer; The Shape of Water
I guessed would win: Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread

never heard of them

A Fantastic Woman literally won because it starred a Trans-Woman as the lead.

imagine my shock

Best Animated Feature winner: Coco
I wanted to win: Coco
I guessed would win: Coco
I didn't like Coco that much (it was a good movie) but wow, the other options are garbage. I've seen them all and Boss Baby & Ferdinand were bad. Must've been a bad year for animation.

isn't coco that movie about the illegal that meets a bunch of skeletons

hey wow coco won who would've guessed
hollywood is just a stinking pile of monopolies and rabid lefties and I'm goddamn sick of it
what's wrong with coco lol. would you have voted for boss baby instead?

the book of life

they changed the way that the animated feature was picked from last year to where instead of being industry experts and animation buffs (who already didn't do their jobs) now it's just a group of random yahoos because no one gives a stuff about animation

that's how you get boss baby nominated

no I would've picked the breadwinner or maybe loving loving vincent, which every single loving frame of that movie was PAINTED VAN GOGH STYLE

but no we're giving the oscar to affirmative action: the movie because "muh pixar"

but no we're giving the oscar to affirmative action: the movie because "muh pixar"

i would've said 'muh mexis' but that works too

both are perfectly valid because it's clear that practically no one in hollywood gives a stuff about actual quality, only money and politics