Author Topic: [call for talent] - help with a project  (Read 4880 times)

it is extremely complicated. thats why i added that it may not happen. but im hoping compensation will be enough of an incentive to help me, even if the odds of this projects completion arent in anyones favor
imo you're better off coming up with an idea that's more simplistic, personally if you want an idea that I'd be totally up for, I've seen people build maps but I've never seen an actual campaign of it, some kind of Resident Evil like story in blockland. We've had a stuff ton of Zombambo gamemodes before but not once has there been any legit co-op games executed imo perfectly of it. That's just me tho, idk what you're into but if its beyond complicated then most likely it ain't gonna end up happening.

of course, my little devil you!!!!
well if you want "voice acting" you should probably get more VAs than just yourslef

well if you want "voice acting" you should probably get more VAs than just yourslef
Getting voice actors is pretty difficult. Honestly anybody who want's to do campaigns and such like this are better off inviting friends to voice act.

Getting voice actors is pretty difficult. Honestly anybody who want's to do campaigns and such like this are better off inviting friends to voice act.
i never said he needed professionals

reminds me of this post i made

to avoid like 200 pages worth of what i've been working on, here's a list of things i am 100% certain you cannot do in the game that actual gamemaker "engines" can

• "pre-rendered cutscenes" or mp4 videos found locally on your computer (awesomium doesn't support local video files, don't even think about scrolling pngs)
  • reliable dynamic camera movement (scheduling static camera looping is choppy as all hell, popfront and pushback commands from slayer's flycam or pathcam vary in loadtime depending on positions and changes)
  • instant freeze-loading (port's loading function only freezes your screen for 5 seconds while the world still plays out in realtime, all cleanup most likely can't be completed at frame 1)

that being said, here's a list of things that are totally possible

• really cool client GUIs (dialogue bars, HUDs, terminals, etc.)
  • fully functional dialogue/RPG mechanics (these wouldn't be as time-consuming to make if i could use xml/json parsing)
  • semi-dynamic FOV (blockland only allows FOV as integers, meaning no fancy zooming cameras, but it can lead for fun closeups like the fallout 4 video has)
  • pre-rendered cutscenes from youtube/html5 videos (probably won't sync very well for slow internet or multiplayer gamemodes)
  • stereo .oggs (editing kalph's music filesize add-on does the trick, but heavier files may cause a few moments of lag, 8mb .oggs freeze the game for a quarter of a second)
  • pathfinding AI (we're waiting...)

my main concern is that you shouldn't worry about the voice acting until much later, for now just focus on if the main gameplay idea is possible

if you want something like dix miggie, how do you want to improve it? multiple story paths? unique combat mechanics? expanded RPG functions?

look at other fangames and gamemodes to draw inspiration from, crack-life campaign mode was a huge inspiration to jayce

i've been looking for an excuse to go wild with a campaign project since DM3, but i would really prefer a singleplayer gamemode over a co-op one

it's much easier to balance difficulty, there's no worry about networking, and overall a better experience for drop-in/drop-out gameplay, especially for saving/loading builds

im willing to do moderate eventing if you need it

i've been looking for an excuse to go wild with a campaign project since DM3, but i would really prefer a singleplayer gamemode over a co-op one

it's much easier to balance difficulty, there's no worry about networking, and overall a better experience for drop-in/drop-out gameplay, especially for saving/loading builds
same. a lot of my builds in-game revolve around the player solving puzzles/finding secrets and scripted sequences etc. but these can almost always be hindered by another person simply exploring the map and not knowing somethings going on. a single player experience would allow me to fully explore and utilize the techniques ive been ironing out over the years

my main concern is that you shouldn't worry about the voice acting until much later, for now just focus on if the main gameplay idea is possible

if you want something like dix miggie, how do you want to improve it? multiple story paths? unique combat mechanics? expanded RPG functions?
very much so. the gamemodes optimization and functionality is priority right now. i want to try and make this as user friendly as possible while being as unique as it wants to

i want something like dix miggie in the sense that its a single player campaign gamemode in blockland. but thats about as far is it gets compared to dix miggie. i want my gamemode to be a full fleshed conversion. something that looks, feels, and plays completely differently from blockland. i want to treat blockland like it is its own rudimentary game engine. i want to keep scripts to a minimum and make events/bots the backbone of this gamemodes functionality

i dont really know why im so driven to use blockland like this. i believe its because i understand blockland to a point i feel confident i could manipulate it like a game engine. i feel like blockland has just the right amount of limitation necessary to make something that actually feels uniquely like its own nintendo 64 styled game, and i want to see just how far someone could change blockland to make that come to fruition

im also incredibly lazy and dont want learn how to use a new game engine. id much rather find complex alternatives in tools i already know. instead of making cartoons in flash, a program i dont understand at all, i found a way of making them using a combination of illustrator, photoshop, and after effects. 3 programs im proficient with. instead of making a game with something like unity or unreal, i want to try and make it with blockland. i make my own games in blockland all the time, they're just with blocks and events. its basically that same concept, just on a much much larger, more personalized scale

once ive tried my alternative to the point i know its just not going to work, then i will get up and learn an entirely new program. i found an alternative that works for cartoons. i want to see if this alternative will work for games

i never said he needed professionals
im looking for production quality. you dont need to be a professional, but you definitely need to know how to act and how to become the character if you're going to voice act for me. its not going to be just me voice acting, but those that will be will have to be committed to the project. enough to give a convincing performance. i dont really know of that many committed nice sounding voice actors here. trifax and swholli are pretty good, but trifax is never here and swholli has his own super big projects hes working on
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:50:56 PM by mod-man »

Finding quality semi-professional voice actors is the least feasible part of this project so far. A good replacement could probably be like what legend of Zelda uses in most of their games. You have the voice actors voice grunts or sighs and couple that with expressive decals while leaving the rest of the dialog silent for the player to read. That way you at least get to hear a glimpse of the character in that small bit of voice acting

Sorry if I'm not phrasing stuff right, but you get the idea

Finding quality semi-professional voice actors is the least feasible part of this project so far. A good replacement could probably be like what legend of Zelda uses in most of their games. You have the voice actors voice grunts or sighs and couple that with expressive decals while leaving the rest of the dialog silent for the player to read. That way you at least get to hear a glimpse of the character in that small bit of voice acting

Sorry if I'm not phrasing stuff right, but you get the idea
ive considered that as well. this game is a tie-in to a much larger project im working on. who ever voices these characters for the game will be voicing them for other outlets as well. thats why its the trickiest and im not really focusing on it right now

id be totally down to do that if i had a better in-game dialogue system. someone released a nice undertale styled dialogue system where a box pops up, the text types out and everything. its just shotty and sometime doesn't appear correctly
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:12:06 PM by mod-man »

My suggestion would be to ask real life friends and family to voice things. They may not be experienced at all or maybe not even have the right voice, but as long as the microphone quality and settings are the same for every voice actor, dialog will feel somewhat immersive and have some semblance of continuity. don't use people online with different microphones because it will sound like a paper mache project in audio form
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:17:24 PM by PhantOS »

id be totally down to do that if i had a better in-game dialogue system. someone released a nice undertale styled dialogue system where a box pops up, the text types out and everything. its just shotty and sometime doesn't appear correctly
I could make a functional one and post it here if you're looking for one.

My suggestion would be to ask real life friends and family to voice things. They may not be experienced at all or maybe not even have the right voice, but as long as the microphone quality and settings are the same for every voice actor, dialog will feel somewhat immersive. don't use people online with different microphones because it will sound like a paper mache project in audio form
i never wanted to use people from online if i can help it. purely for consistency. all the voice actors i intend to use are people i know irl,  i have already spoken to about this, and are experienced or have the talent to easily gain experience in voice acting. the actual voice recording will be done at a studio if my budget will allow it

I could make a functional one and post it here if you're looking for one.
that'd be super helpful if you're willing

Nice, good to have a professional environment, even for a project with a budget of $50 and no expected net gross lol