Author Topic: Stephen Hawking dead at 76  (Read 15101 times)

Well, for one thing he appeared in a cameo role for the sixth season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and was the only actor to ever portray themselves on Star Trek.

stephen hawking is rolling(?) in his grave right now good job

Stephen Hawking isn't einstein level. If he proved that black holes exist, then yes.

At least we still got professor x

Edit: Why is posting about how Steven Hawking is dead somehow warrant all this "Oh wow, you're just trying to look like you care" bullstuff?
He was a big credit to theoretical physics and it sucks that he's gone. Actually forget outta here with that stuff

Pageloss

Stephen Hawking isn't einstein level. If he proved that black holes exist, then yes.
There's no way he could conceivably done that since his job was theoretical physics - the business of whether the theory actually matches reality is tested by experimental physicists who build stuff like particle colliders, cyclotrons, and telescopes. That business kinda mandates the use of arms and legs.

Also, even Einstein didn't go out to measure the solar eclipse that showed the sun's gravitational lensing - he sent Arthur Eddington to do it.

I think we should also consider what he has done to educate and inspire those outside the science community. Being a popular science educator like Tyson and Sagan honestly isn't something to look down upon. If you're making people excited about the future of science and technology, and inspiring those who join is quite admirable.

Our last genius dies.

Also, even Einstein didn't go out to measure the solar eclipse that showed the sun's gravitational lensing - he sent Arthur Eddington to do it.
didn't know edd has an ancestry in science

god bless stephen hawking

I think we should also consider what he has done to educate and inspire those outside the science community. Being a popular science educator like Tyson and Sagan honestly isn't something to look down upon. If you're making people excited about the future of science and technology, and inspiring those who join is quite admirable.
I'm glad this was mentioned. There are not many scientists who can communicate science to the public in interesting ways, but Hawking did it without even being able to talk or move his body. Science communication is a pretty important field to how science and the public interact, and to have someone who is very knowledgeable also be charismatic and a solid communicator is rare. Seeing Hawking in documentaries all the time growing up got me interested in science and probably lots of other kids.

Did anyone here really see Stephen Hawking on TV And say "I wanna be disabled when I grow up"'

Did anyone here really see Stephen Hawking on TV And say "I wanna be disabled when I grow up"'

The people mourning itt did