Island Conquest

Author Topic: Island Conquest  (Read 4031 times)

Island Conquest

Island Conquest is a capture point team deathmatch where the Pacific Federation battles an organization of fearless Rebels for control of the rural South Pacific island, Isla de Bloque.

Overview

I've hosted this a couple of times in the past with a good amount of popularity and decided to bring it back with a slightly catchier name, Conquest, instead of Domination. I've made further improvements on the gameplay since last time, and if you have any other suggestions, let me know here in the thread.

The server takes inspiration from an ArmA series style capture point game mode. There are a total of 5 points in key locations around the island. To win, one team must be in control of at least 4 points for 45 seconds (Game rules and balancing are subject to change). An objective of this size will take a considerable amount of teamwork and determination, so be ready to coordinate with your team.

Team Assets

Vehicles

Each team has a variety of vehicles to choose from. However, each must be earned by spending points to purchase vehicles. Vehicle spawn areas have an interface that is used to purchase assets for the team. Upon purchase of a vehicle, more buttons used to spawn vehicles and recover them will appear and be available for use. The ? buttons display the prices of all the different vehicles. Both teams are able to obtain a basic transport truck at the beginning of each round for free. Once a vehicle has been bought, it can be respawned for free until the next round.

Demonstration of buying a vehicle

Intel

Both bases have an intelligence room with a crude map inside. The map displays the rough location of each capture point and which team currently controls it. Each button is clickable and will display the name of its corresponding location.

Beginning of a round

After some battle time

The Build

Island Conquest makes use of Kobble's Isla de Bloque with permission.

Overview of the island (Image from Kobble's thread.)

Tactics and Tips

To succeed in Island Domination, working with your team is a must. Here's some basic tips and tactics to help out.

• Always maintain control of the central capture point, Charlie, found in the village of Sanrefti. More often than not, dominance over this town will lead to easy access to its two neighboring points, Bravo (Radio Tower) and Delta (Power Plant).
  • Buy vehicles for your team! Mobility and firepower are critical for a map this size. Especially important early purchases are a helicopter or at the minimum, a standard HMMWV. These two vehicles have superb mobility. The BTR-60, Puma, and T-90 pack incredible firepower and are great for mid to late game.
  • It's never a bad idea to have someone stay back at a capture point and guard it. You never quite know where your enemy will pop up next.
  • Use the machine gun nests around the map to your advantage! The machine guns pack a punch, even at range.

Administration

SphericalCube [7504]
The Brighter Dark [2227]

« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 12:21:38 AM by SphericalCube »

The only issues I have with the server are that it has potentally too many cap points for such a large map, there are too many trees that cause lag, and that the vehicle shop is stagnates gameplay. other than that it's awesome

The only issues I have with the server are that it has potentally too many cap points for such a large map, there are too many trees that cause lag, and that the vehicle shop is stagnates gameplay. other than that it's awesome
There's less plants now and the shop is easily tweaked. Working on getting some more aerial vehicles and transport vehicles to make things a bit smoother.

this is actually just vietnam

ot:cool server

Its pretty good but i agree with grimlock that the map is way too large. A conquest game would be best if it were a linear attack-defend conquest and every time attackers capture a point all the spawn points move further over the map / barriers move so that you cant move backwards or forwards too far. This way each team has to focus on 1-2 capture points at a time and not have to spend 3 minutes traveling 10 miles just to reach the point and die and repeat the process.

It's a huge missed opportunity for a fine-tuned gamemode. Every capture point already has its own small design (the city probably has a lot of corridors and cover for defenders to set up, some of the captures in other spots have other design choices that make them different) and using a linear conquest would take maximum advantage of this. Sure you can add buttons that teleport you to captured points in your spawn, but each team still has to focus on all the points at once and its a lot to manage. Battlefield does it well because most conquest games have like 50-100 players on it so there's easily 20 players per capture point, but on a blockland server you'll probably have like 15-30 and it becomes really hard to keep tabs on every point. Sometimes like one lone soldier can run through and ninja a capture point and that really makes the game too non-linear to enjoy

You definitely have a good map design already in place but you're stopping too short. I suggest you take it a little farther and really take advantage of the individuality of each point
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:51:39 PM by thegoodperry »

the prop tool would be amazing for this

Server is open for tomorrow. Will be testing that all technical aspects of the game run smoothly. Hopefully I'll be able to update the OP with a better minimap and a little more information about the game soon as well.

the prop tool would be amazing for this
I've been looking into this. Maybe buildable sandbag bunkers or machine gun nests or something

Its pretty good but i agree with grimlock that the map is way too large. A conquest game would be best if it were a linear attack-defend conquest and every time attackers capture a point all the spawn points move further over the map / barriers move so that you cant move backwards or forwards too far. This way each team has to focus on 1-2 capture points at a time and not have to spend 3 minutes traveling 10 miles just to reach the point and die and repeat the process.

It's a huge missed opportunity for a fine-tuned gamemode. Every capture point already has its own small design (the city probably has a lot of corridors and cover for defenders to set up, some of the captures in other spots have other design choices that make them different) and using a linear conquest would take maximum advantage of this. Sure you can add buttons that teleport you to captured points in your spawn, but each team still has to focus on all the points at once and its a lot to manage. Battlefield does it well because most conquest games have like 50-100 players on it so there's easily 20 players per capture point, but on a blockland server you'll probably have like 15-30 and it becomes really hard to keep tabs on every point. Sometimes like one lone soldier can run through and ninja a capture point and that really makes the game too non-linear to enjoy

You definitely have a good map design already in place but you're stopping too short. I suggest you take it a little farther and really take advantage of the individuality of each point
I've also thought about having a linear cap system in the past but never got around to setting it up, mostly because to my knowledge it would be really really tedious to do so, but if you have a good method let me know.

good server glad to see its back

Actually had fun in BL for the first time in a while playing this.

Sniper is absolute garbage. Game is fun otherwise.

Sniper is absolute garbage. Game is fun otherwise.
That makes me happy, I never enjoyed fighting with or against snipers in games like this.

That makes me happy, I never enjoyed fighting with or against snipers in games like this.
Because they most often dominate on large maps like this. Here the sniper is not effective past 3-4 64x plates and it takes 4 hits to kill.

Working on getting dedicated hosting set up with Blockland Glass. Also, I'm trying to get Rally's Helicopter Gunship working with the current add-ons, but having a few compatibility issues.

Looks great from that aerial shot, and the quality of this topic alone shows it's a good server...hell, you made a gif for it.