question: will pop music today be considered "classic" in 40 years?

Author Topic: question: will pop music today be considered "classic" in 40 years?  (Read 1418 times)

just a thought that occurred to me-- songs from 30 - 40 years ago are considered "classic". so what about modern pop in 3 decades?

i may be heavily biased, but older music seemed different in their production that made them memorable. pop (arguably) only has minor nuances in their sound.

i think what makes a song "classic" is not only its age. but what makes it memorable.

what do you guys think?

probably

for example most people think of alot of MJ's discography as classic

so a few decades from now beyonce or some stuff is probably gonna be that

It'll probably be considered classic but won't be exactly named under classic as to not confuse the different styles

considering that all of today's pop music is written by four or so people in europe

no

considering that all of today's pop music is written by four or so people in europe

no
ever heard of Burt Bacharach?? I think you underestimate the lasting power of pop moguls.

Much pop will be considered classic the same way pop songs from the 40's are considered classic. Pop has also always moved in trends, and things have all sounded similar - listen to pop music from the 40's, everyone's a crooner and everyone's got a big band behind them.

all pop will be utterly divided into being completely forgotten or being recognized as classics

for every "classic" from the 1980-1970's, how many songs also went obscure and unknown?

A lot of what’s popular in the indie sphere right now will be remembered, even if it’s not actually indie, it’s what’s popular with most college aged people. I see Kendrick, Sufjan, Tame Impala, stuff like that which has crossover appeal between mainstream and indie listeners being looked back on fondly.

no
No clue how this is relevant at all. (It’s also false)
There are a number of producers from the 60’s-80’s who worked on hundreds of albums (Visconti, Eno, Plank, etc.) and those albums are classics now. So obviously pop music written by a handful of Europeans can reach classic status...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:03:39 AM by Mega-Bear »

The new hit genre Classic Pop brought to you by 103.4 The JAM

it'll be remembered in the same way disco music was remembered

just like literally every other genre only the good stuff will get remember/played in the future
inb4 hurr durr all pop is crap

just like literally every other genre only the good stuff will get remember/played in the future

pretty much this

people tend to forget that there was a lot of garbage even back in the days of what we now consider "classic" tunes

gucci gang gucci gang gucci gang