Author Topic: Video game loot boxes are now considered criminal gambling in Belgium  (Read 4564 times)

i just think its stupid to equate them with gambling
by this logic people who buy trading card game expansions or unlock cosmetic crates on tf2 are gambling
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=definition+of+gambling&oq=definition+of+gambling&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.2503j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

by this logic people who buy trading card game expansions or unlock cosmetic crates on tf2 are gambling
yes

This can easily be circumvented by a pseudo lootbox syste. Instead of buying a box with randomized loot they can just earn loot randomly every time they complete a game, and then the devs can add a Loot Pass which basically increases your chances of drops. Because you're investing in a guaranteed outcome (paying for the pass will grant you the pass 100% of the time) you aren't paying for the game of chance, you're just improving your odds in the game's hardcoded random number generator
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 05:43:41 PM by thegoodperry »

uh yea

....uhhhhhhhh

Yes.
and let's say i did like lootboxes. what's wrong with that?
bait

What makes it not gambling?

and let's say i did like lootboxes. what's wrong with that?
you're supporting cum brained business practices

See:
The reality of the situation is that game development costs continue to increase, and when you add inflation on top of that, continuing to charge $60 for a game really isn't enough. So unless you want to pay $80+ for a game, developers need to find a way to pull in additional money.

So yes, I like lootboxes, as long as they're cosmetic only
But if you have another suggestion, then please do suggest it.

See:
I'm pretty sure Overwatch raked in over a billion in just a year and it only cost around 60-160 million to make, so basically you're just giving them extra money they don't need.

You take your parent's credit card and start buying 1 dollar chests thinking you're going to get super rare items.

500 dollars later and you only got like 1 rare item and the rest are garbage.

It's loving gambling and some games are forced to present the random chance you'll receive the item.

See:
Many games have already implemented paid cosmetics before lootboxes and those worked fine. Lootboxes revoke the freedom to choose what you're paying for.

actual gambling is different cause theres an expectation to pay money to make money. the closest lootboxes get to gambling is in csgo or tf2 market trading, and even then its very obvious theres no realistic way you can make back what you spend with those games. maybe csgo, idk.

lootboxes are different cause the purchase isnt intended to make yourself money - it hits the same nerve centers in the brain, but since theres the implicit and explicit understood difference that you’re purchasing a virtual item, the association made of spend money to have a chance at making money isnt made. the majority of games with lootboxes do not allow you to trade items, and as a result there is no implicit suggestion that people have a chance of making their money back by selling their rare item
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:41:37 PM by Conan »

actual gambling is different cause theres an expectation to pay money to make money. the closest lootboxes get to gambling is in csgo or tf2 market trading, and even then its very obvious theres no realistic way you can make back what you spend with those games. maybe csgo, idk.

All that stuff on steam can be resold on the market to buy games or more loot boxes.

Seems like gambling to me.

See:
Don't nickle and dime the customers with rng. When Warframe is a good example of this cosmetic lootbox-less system the industry is doing something very wrong.

You pay $40-$60 on Overwatch and you're telling me that I have to roll for skins that are the equivalent to "Smash bros recolors"? I can slap in a few bucks and get an entire rainbow color pallet to recolor characters in Warframe.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:18:35 PM by Emgiell »