Author Topic: Battle for Wesnoth - Released on Steam - FREE  (Read 1548 times)

Gameplay

Battle for Wesnoth is an open source, turn-based strategy game with a high fantasy theme. Play with friends online, hotseat or the very exiting singleplayer campaigns the game has to offer. Modding community is active and you can download playermade content and campaigns in the add-on manager. Choose one of the many factions, recruit the best unit for the situation, take into account: terrain type, weapon type and weaknesses of your units. Outmaneuver your opponent, support your troops with healing units, bring fresh recruits to the front while your damaged ones heal up in villages that also work as your source of  income. Dwell deep into the rich lore of Irdya and it's compelling stories. The game also has a very user-friendly map editor that I use frequently.

History

The game took form in 2003 and has since then been actively updated by a group of devoted people. For FREE! I think I came across the game in 2006 or so and was immediately drawn into the easy gameplay and epic fantasy world. The game is luck-based which reminds me a bit of the board game RISK but also adds a lot of strategy to the mix. I pick up this game now and then, playing through a quick PvE game while watching a stream or playing through a new campaign. It's a game that never gets old. The game's been greenlit for some year now I think, but the developers wanted to get everything right before releasing it. I think some of you may have seen the game before and I hope we can share some memories in this thread. Seriously, all the love and respect to the developers.

Links

Wesnoth.org

Steam

Forums

Pictures

wait, steam? holy stuff, its come a long way

i just wish there was more dedicated directed art for the game, esp for portraits and descriptions. its really incongruous knowing some of the art is over half a decade old while others were updated just a few months ago. that plus the designs need to match the sprites. and also the vast majority of the campaigns dont have splash art for the story dialogue

Apparently they submitted their greenlight entry in 2016 and it only took 4 days for them to be greenlit.

The reason for the sometime incoherent art style is because there is no developer working full-time. Especially not in the art department which consist of a huge mix of playermade content. Sometimes you may come across a really dated splash, but it shouldn't bother you or me seeing we're used to a multimillionaire company (riot) that can't update theirs. Though I'm pretty sure most campaigns have splash arts for the dialogue. Also I think most description arts match the sprites but some of the unique character art don't match their sprite but this is due to the fact that it would be tough work to create a new unit for every unique character in campaigns, and it doesn't bother me because it's really nice that the dialogue art is unique, like the white mage you see in OP.

When I started playing there only was 5 campaigns and either there were no dialogue art or it was taken from the unit description. Only the main characters had art, and I thought it looked dope back then. One of the older campaigns, with our main character Konrad has changed face twice since I started playing.

yeah no i totally understand. its just unfortunate.

the game itself is solid, i just wish there was a way for bigger battles to be easier to run/make more sense. oftentimes its hard to get a sense of the scale and difficulty when facing 50+ units with 40+ units of your own

yeah no i totally understand. its just unfortunate.

the game itself is solid, i just wish there was a way for bigger battles to be easier to run/make more sense. oftentimes its hard to get a sense of the scale and difficulty when facing 50+ units with 40+ units of your own

Yeah that's completely impossible to get a sense of, but I don't often have that big battles. Either it's campaigns which is often fairly low scale, or it's a quickgame with max 200 starting gold.

Already finished 2 campaigns I haven't played before, this is addicting.

Yeah that's completely impossible to get a sense of, but I don't often have that big battles. Either it's campaigns which is often fairly low scale, or it's a quickgame with max 200 starting gold.

Already finished 2 campaigns I haven't played before, this is addicting.
ive replayed all the campaigns like 2 times each, some even 4 times. usually what happens is i burn out when i hit the really big second-last or last battle cause i dont feel like slogging thru an hour of careful combat and unit management to rewatch an ending ive seen before

ive replayed all the campaigns like 2 times each, some even 4 times. usually what happens is i burn out when i hit the really big second-last or last battle cause i dont feel like slogging thru an hour of careful combat and unit management to rewatch an ending ive seen before

Dude you've played this more than I. Do you play on the highest difficulty as well?

There's a new campaign with the steam release though I think.