Author Topic: Token Boss Battles (Advanced/Preset classes against the Boss)  (Read 2053 times)

Hey everyone,
I have recently resumed a project called Token Boss Battles (probably needs a better name).
Basically everyone on the team has the same amount of "tokens" to customize their own class. Some weapons/playertypes cost a lot of tokens, some are cheap to balance the game. You have have 4 custom classes total so you do not need to sit there for "10 minutes" setting up your classes in the future. Combinations of weapons and playertype in the class can create benefits or maybe none at all. This gamemode will also introduce resistance types such as being resistant to fire/acid/explosions/bullets/etc. which are part of those class benefits. Once you get to know your sets and what preset classes have, you can easily prepare! Preset classes are there in case you cannot make your own class - good part about the preset classes is that some may require more playtime because of how complicated they can be because they are hardcoded, but they are a lot of fun and challenging once you play them enough. Some preset classes will indeed be exclusive to certain maps and events. Preset classes do rotate randomly during the week.

Now, the one thing I really am stuck on is how lives should go. I have a few options:
 - Have a wave spawn time every 2 minutes (or somewhere around there), and if everyone dies, the boss wins. The boss also wins on time out. Boss has one life - because of wave spawns, boss will have more HP than the other options.
 - Have the original 1 life game but rounds are 4 minutes each.
 - Have 2-3 lives and will be force spawned to prevent people stalling the game.

No, I will not make a "special" round to change the lives up like I did with Randomizer.
What are your thoughts? Suggestions?

Join the server's discord!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 02:28:20 AM by Kyuande »

The boss battles meta revolves around the density of humans attacking the boss at a given time. The boss' goal is to run away from a horde of humans and try to split them into groups to pick off one by one where they are less likely to take damage. Since the boss is one man, the quantity of humans attacking the boss at a time scales inversely with the boss' success. This is a good place to stick life mechanics into. A great usage of this meta is to give bonuses to players who attack the boss by themselves or in smaller groups. Since it's already super dangerous to 1v1 the boss giving some kind of life credit for making such a dangerous move seems like a natural mechanic. It also means bosses have to decide between attacking a large group of players in order to inflict permanent damage versus attacking a small group of players in order to minimize the amount of damage the boss takes, rather than the current optimal strategy of choosing the latter

In my head I imagine a solo sniper caught off guard by the boss while the teammates are far away. Instead of running and dying because that's what normally happens, maybe the lone sniper gets a boost or upgrade or maybe the amount of damage they deal isolated contributes to a revival skill in the form of a shorter respawn time

i prefer the original boss battles more, it limits the player's choice and forces them to adapt to a preset amount of classes that are balanced

edit: thought the bosses could be customized, apparently I misread it of course and only classes can, in that case I support this concept
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:20:41 AM by Hawt »

i prefer the original boss battles more, it limits the player's choice and forces them to adapt to a preset amount of classes that are balanced

If the original boss battles is pecons then the classes weren't balanced ever. If anything they were a complete afterthought to draw in tf2 players. Soldier and sniper compete for same niche space, scout was stupid by default and overpowered, heavy and firebug fought for the same niche space except firebug was faster and therefore superior. Medic was useless due to healing bricks and engineer was the only class with any depth or importance which was lost due to the engineer stuffty prinary gun and poor map design
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:53:07 PM by thegoodperry »

boss battles used to be fun back before v21 hit and killed maps. bedroom boss battles were tons of fun. unfortunately it went steeply downhill afterwords in playability for some reason so i just avoid those servers now.

boss battles used to be fun back before v21 hit and killed maps. bedroom boss battles were tons of fun. unfortunately it went steeply downhill afterwords in playability for some reason so i just avoid those servers now.
probably was the boss variety too, sometimes playing the same thing for a lot of years gets a bit old real fast

Another bump. More development has been made. There will be over 100 combinations of custom classes and most of them will have benefits, consequences, or both.

Bump! Currently creating class ideas and map ideas. Custom minigame system is done and now working on how custom classes will work.

Another bump. I am now on winter break so I can definitely shoot out a lot of progress!

Here is what I have done so far:
  • Rewrite the minigame system entirely (and added team functions)
  • Recreate the class system
  • Created a forced avatar system for preset bosses
  • Tokens now work properly
  • GUI development has began