Strategy games thread

Author Topic: Strategy games thread  (Read 5725 times)

@sleep some good rts's you might find good is the stronghold/age of empires series which arent super micro heavy and are slower paced compared to other rts's. they also come with campaign modes and in singleplayer/campaign you can pause and save if you're feeling overwhelmed.

this is actually one of the reasons i love ai war - you can speed up and slow down time as you need, from 0.05x to 15x. really helps when you just want to take some time to review your objectives and plan without having to constantly worry about the ai difficulty progressing due to time.

yeet now i dont feel bad for posting here dudes i love games like prison architect but i wanna play more complicated stuff like some actual RTSes but i dont know where to start.
i played that rts game that has the mouse with one arm on the cover  but i forgot its name
Tooth and tail ? Heard that is a game about a communist revolution, but with mice.
Anyways, for begginers i reccomend CoH2. Great game. Different than most RTS-es. (Also the only RTS i played for months.)

Now, how many of you played CK2 or Stellaris ?

Tooth and nail was the game yeah! i didnt pay too much attention to the story

I don't want to step into CoH just yet, Stellaris is the game I want to play with my friends but I'm wayy too intimidated by.

I think Ill do Age of Empires because I can remember borrowing that game as a young kid and having a great time

Tooth and nail was the game yeah! i didnt pay too much attention to the story

I don't want to step into CoH just yet, Stellaris is the game I want to play with my friends but I'm wayy too intimidated by.

I think Ill do Age of Empires because I can remember borrowing that game as a young kid and having a great time
Stellaris is like a dog, if you never had it, you may be slightly scared by it. But once you get used to having it, it good.

@phantos i heard u were making an RTS, can you tell us something about it ?

yea im stealing bushido's game. basically jack and casie is cool and innovative but i played it once and i kinda didn't like how the game played. the inventory is its own physical game space but it's not actually explored in the game and instead all items just have size and you use them to deal damage to an enemy's health bar which i think is kinda dumb and the most depth the game has comes from the weaknesses and the armor system.

im designing my own version of jack and casie where instead of what it is now it's more of a deck building game. enemies have their own inventory with their own items, and you have your inventory with your items. rather than dealing damage to a health bar, you use your items to deal damage to the enemy's items. enemies deal damage in set slow telegraphed patterns that attack a portion of your inventory. you gotta move your items around in the inventory to dodge their attacks with the added difficulty that you can't drag items over each other. and when you attack enemies you basically want to do the same thing: like use a line attack that will hit multiple items.

surface level its basically a ripoff of jack and casie but in the most abstract form its basically real-time into the breach. its not a typical 'real time strategy' but you're strategically moving your items in real time and using them to attack enemy's items which also move in real time so i'd consider it more of an abstract rts. i figured if you're going to make inventory tetris you need to fully utilize the game's space and capture the difficulty of binpacking items in a confined space while your items are actively being attacked

so in this example i got hella daggers and that red rectangle is basically an enemy attack that will happen in a few seconds and in that time i gotta move my daggers outta its range in order to prevent them from being destroyed for the rest of the battle. in that case i can't save the top one because of how obstructive the item's size is. the stuff on the right is just placeholder enemy items.

in this example im using my dagger's ability to target the enemy's items. the dagger (a placeholder item) targets a single enemy item and destroys it in a few seconds which is helpful for directly attacking more powerful enemy items. the downside is that it has a single use and is destroyed for the fight when you use it. i could add items that also do damage in shape patterns (like the red rectangle) and add in special items that allow you to move the enemy's items yourself in order to line them up for some nasty combos.

the idea is that i want to make better use of jack and casie's systems. items that are bigger are harder to use in this game compared to jack and casie because their large size makes them obstructive especially since you can't move items through each other. i can also add things like adjacency bonuses which would incentivize players to clump certain items together at the tradeoff of having to scatter them around when an attack comes near. maybe even with this system i could add some sort of factorio esque open ended puzzle system where you have to build special items using the space all the while enemy attacks are threatening your delicate setup.

its basically like into the breach or xcom in an abstract form and in real time. bushido probably hates me by now but i think j&c is more of a casual happy go lucky artistic game while the game i'm trying to make is slightly less casual  and more mechanics focused with less room for error
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:51:32 PM by PhantOS »

phantos just sayin that feels too mega brained for most ppl right now, i hope you make the learning curve very forgiving

in my head the source of all difficulty is how fast the enemy does its attacks. having 10 seconds to reorganize your inventory to dodge their stuff is pretty forgiving compared to like having 4 seconds to react.  with that in mind adding dynamic difficulty is easy cuz i can just stick a float in there that increases or decreases the enemy's turn time if the player starts sucking or rocking.

in j&C having a ton of items is just a slight annoyance but in this project having more than 40% of your inventory occupied makes things objectively harder for you since theres less room to maneuver. it means that having more items is bad because there's more items you have to move around and relocate and every item move would take 2-3 seconds. two things that i want to do to combat this:

enemy attacks are telegraphed and consistent. on the battle start every item in the enemy's inventory will have a set pattern and it will always use that pattern. so one red arrow may attack in a line at the y value of 3. but it will always attack at that y value every time the enemy uses it. the other red arrows will have their own patterns too but they will not change throughout the fight. so after 4-5 turns you can learn the enemy's attacks and find the safe zones where they're guaranteed to not hit.

the other thing is that there's no limit to how many items you can use. if you want to queue up 10 different item's abilities you can. the entire attack will take maybe 15 seconds to charge but there could be things like adjacency bonuses that bump that down and other things. the tradeoff of having the ability to attack 10 times in a single turn is that you need to manage how you'll fit all those loving items in your inventory. for players who are fast and understand the mechanics, this playstyle will be more rewarding than just keeping 3 small items in their inventory for the entire fight in order to play defensively

jack and casie is easy to play but is difficult by design because all the enemies have like 30 hp and deal attacks that do 30% of your health in damage. i want to make a game that is hard to play but easy by design. so you have the ability to win a battle without losing a single item if you play smart and fast. the only true difficulty should come from how badly you build your item deck and how poorly you position your items. its the same thing in tetris: the goal is easy as forget: match a row of tiles. the game is hard because you position all your pieces badly and that one odd piece that you placed in a forgeted up position now cost you like 4 rows and now you have to figure out how you're going to dig back down there just to fill up those spaces. the feeling of 'i did this to myself' is probably the most rewarding game feel i've ever experienced because the game doesn't challenge you, you challenge yourself and have to think up creative solutions to fix your own mistakes.

optimizing yourself to beat yourself is some mega brain play
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 02:25:19 PM by PhantOS »

lego rock raiders is an ancient game but still a good time

stuff u right, now i have to go back and play it

Command and Conquer: Tiberian Sun and Red Alert are so fun eeeee

There is actually a remaster of Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert being made by EA and Petroglyph.

Super Robot Wars/Taisen - series, specifically the Original Generation games.
Basically you spend 10% of the time actually moving units around and 90% watching over the top battle animations.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:59:57 AM by jarelash »

this game is famous with our generation across the globe. I still put it on every machine i own.

this game is famous with our generation across the globe. I still put it on every machine i own.
the only problem is having to find and redownload that one dll