Author Topic: Tarkov loving sucks  (Read 4825 times)

honestly surprised its not standard in modern shooters. squad is understandable as its a vr game and needs very high optimization to be playable in vr. anything else though really doesnt have much of an excuse
I did a bit of research.

Squad is not a VR game, its a normal fps, and dual render scope was implemented, but the performance was terrible, so it was taken out of the game, hence why its non-existent in today's Squad

From what I gathered and understood, the reason why is dual render scope so performance intensive is due to the PIP (picture in picture) system, basically displaying 2 cameras in the game. The performance goes on par with the engine, I assume Insurgency has no problem due to its old engine, and small maps to render. Squad on the other hand, as example, has maps as big a 4km, so in a way, you'd be displaying the map twice.

A second camera has its own rendering pipeline. Ideally rendering everything on screen should take around 1/60th of a second but with a dual render scope it takes 1/30th of a second. So a game that runs 60fps would immediately run at 30fps with a second render

It was strangely easy in Source. Granted Source is a dated engine but even for it's time I remember running Half Life 2 mods that had dual render crossbow scopes and stuff. I don't fully understand the systems behind it but I think this had something to do with shaders. It 'magnified' everything behind it, resulting in a zoomed in image, but had a lower resolution. You can see this effect on a magnifying glass prop in Kleiner's lab. The quality was somewhat low but not incredibly noticeable, and it didn't seem to impact performance much. I don't know stuff about rendering though so I'm not sure if this still requires an extra render

Insurgency Sandstorm is having issues with DR scopes, a bunch of people complained they lag like stuff. They almost didn't have it, now it's optional. Sad to see it was taken out of Squad but Squad is already a dumpster fire when it comes to optimization, I never knew they had it to begin with. Even the upcoming Unturned sequel is having issues with it lol. I think it might be a quirk with Unreal, because it seems super easy to accomplish in Unity. Ravenfield (unity game) has a forgetload of mods that utilize dual render scopes, something that wasn't even in the base game

Sad to see it was taken out of Squad but Squad is already a dumpster fire when it comes to optimization, I never knew they had it to begin with.
Yea, a bit sad Squad can't implement it. Here's an article about it: http://forums.joinsquad.com/topic/1873-scope-implementation-discussion/

Now on Tarkov
Ever since it released, I've been thinking of picking it up, but I'm unsure of the performance, assuming CQ combat would be fast as hell
Then again, I know this is not battle royale, but is it one of those games where you run for half an hour only to be insta-killed by what you'd call a Gen4 guy?
Also how bad is the grinding?

i think its how unreal handles its rendering - unreal's rendering engine is a lot more sophisticated and powerful than unity's and as a result DR scopes will 100% have a higher performance impact than in unity games. aka: why unity looks like blockland rendering engine quality while unreal feels like AAA game quality.

What about EFT itself? For all it's flaws I always thought EFT was pretty graphically impressive

depending on the quality of the render through the scope, the game might be using significant amounts of LOD's to increase performance, upscaling a smaller resolution render, or both. ive noticed insurgency sometimes has object fadeout from certain sniping positions which might contribute to the performance of its scopes, but its also source engine so ???.

Now on Tarkov
Ever since it released, I've been thinking of picking it up, but I'm unsure of the performance, assuming CQ combat would be fast as hell
Then again, I know this is not battle royale, but is it one of those games where you run for half an hour only to be insta-killed by what you'd call a Gen4 guy?
Also how bad is the grinding?
The grinding is pretty intense, also seeing as there are regular wipes that removes any sort of progress you've done.
You have to do quests that for the most part, are pretty vague and you have to watch YouTube videos on how to do them. The thing is, EVERYBODY has the same quests so you have to do a lot of PvP each raid to do them (lots of people like to camp them with unkillable armor and ridiculous weapons) and if someone has already done the quest before you, you can't do it at all. Each quest gives you "rep", meaning if you do enough quests from one vendor, you level up in the vendor and you can buy better gear from them.

The grinding is pretty intense, also seeing as there are regular wipes that removes any sort of progress you've done.
You have to do quests that for the most part, are pretty vague and you have to watch YouTube videos on how to do them. The thing is, EVERYBODY has the same quests so you have to do a lot of PvP each raid to do them (lots of people like to camp them with unkillable armor and ridiculous weapons) and if someone has already done the quest before you, you can't do it at all. Each quest gives you "rep", meaning if you do enough quests from one vendor, you level up in the vendor and you can buy better gear from them.
you'd be surprised how many people will run budget runs or go hatchling.

the damn scopes everyone

you'd be surprised how many people will run budget runs or go hatchling.
Yeah I do this. There are people that like to just farm dogtags though.

Sounds like Tarkov is based around looting, losing, and grinding.
Ive seen gameplays, but youtubers that gotta make content, they only show the good parts and skip the terrible ones