china's impact on the future of videogames

Author Topic: china's impact on the future of videogames  (Read 8777 times)

You seem to confuse my voice for more lawful/reasonable actions with me siding with the Chinese government.
But what can i expect. You all go on with your bandwagons, apparently we need more chaos and erratic actions.
Seems like that is the only thing that we can use lately to solve problems.

My thoughts and prayers for the Hong Kong people who are under assault from the Chinese government.
No but seriously, any violation of human rights is not okay. The movement he called out is alright, just, do we really have to put politics in games?
Sure, there is always some political views. Nothing can be completely without it since it is part of how we view the world. But like this?
I'd rather see the players announcing they are gonna use that prize money to support the Hong Kong movement or like for aid in that area.
But showing a sign saying "Liberate Hong Kong" during post-game commentary, is that really gonna help?
The people he reached with his action where those already supporting the movement (whom are now outraged he got banned and all that).

Just saying, there are plenty of other, more effective and not as disruptive ways to help the movement.
If you want a chaotic approach, actually act against the Chinese government directly. Go fight them in Hong Kong or something, anything other then just screaming out "Liberate Hong Kong" in a post-game interview after a Hearthstone tournament game.

You seem to confuse my voice for more lawful/reasonable actions with me siding with the Chinese government.
lawful? whose laws hombre?
The movement he called out is alright, just, do we really have to put politics in games?
sure lmao. literally why not?
you will have a hard time convincing anyone that the sanctity of online gaming is more important than human rights and freedom from oppressive regimes

to quote a great man, "We need less politics in games, and more gamers in politics!"

Kinda funny how the chinese affect america's free speech.

But I guess you can do anything when money is involved

and just as quickly debunked. official riot response released today - casters were just wary and unsure after the blizzard news
im sorry my own post was about the postgame live interview not being live, not the casters. Riot completely ignored this in their statement

im sorry my own post was about the postgame live interview not being live, not the casters. Riot completely ignored this in their statement
https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1182069204121354240

at least attempt to read the reddit thread man

note this just means its normal for them to prerecord and that they didnt treat hka any differently than a different team. its pretty obvious one of the reasons they chose to prerecord this time is cause of the potential of political issues being raised, but its not clear if they explicitly suppressed player political statements (probably none were gonna be raised by them anyways)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:41:00 AM by Conan »

https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1182069204121354240

at least attempt to read the reddit thread man

note this just means its normal for them to prerecord and that they didnt treat hka any differently than a different team. its pretty obvious one of the reasons they chose to prerecord this time is cause of the potential of political issues being raised, but its not clear if they explicitly suppressed player political statements (probably none were gonna be raised by them anyways)

*sad trombone

tl;dr everyone is just too much of a pusillanimous individual to stand up to china

tl;dr everyone is just too much of a pusillanimous individual to stand up to china
china is more than willing to outright perform massacres to maintain a dictatorship and they're also a huge ass country (3-4x the u.s. population) with plenty of forces ready to do so. as such they're really good at using fear and intimidation as tactics against people they dont like because few are going to dare to fight against them. people can talk stuff on the internet about china all they want but more often than not stop short at the idea of taking practical action because of this
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 02:12:04 PM by Mr Queeba »

china is more than willing to outright perform massacres to maintain a dictatorship and they're also a huge ass country (3-4x the u.s. population) with plenty of forces ready to do so. as such they're really good at using fear and intimidation as tactics against people they dont like because few are going to dare to fight against them. people can talk stuff on the internet about china all they want but more often than not stop short at the idea of taking practical action because of this

- a handicap

- a handicap
What a response. Really shows why we can't have a discussion over this on this forum sometimes.

Anywhom, seems like Blizzard has a hypocrisy regarding acting on their rules when it comes to where it comes from:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/9/20906219/collegiate-hearthstone-hong-kong-protest
The American University held up a sign saying: "Free Hong Kong, Boycott Blizz", upon which their video stream was cut.
The video since has been taken down by Blizzard itself, but the only further action was to cancel the rest of the interviews for that championship.
The team has not received punishments (yet?) and even got their next match assignment without trouble. They forfeited it because of the hypocrisy of Blizzard there.

Fair is fair, Blizzard is now officially acting in way that benefits them instead of just enforcing the rules.
You guys were right after all, Blizzard seems to be acting in favor of the Chinese market/government.
Yet i still stand by my previous messages as the actions in of itself, could be seen as a valid response of Blizzard based upon the rules set for the championship.
In their statement they even quote the rule and, separate from other similar incidents afterwards, looked pretty convincing that they were just enforcing the rules.
Remember, i am not saying i despise what Blitzchung did, but i do say that such a measure seemed fair according to the set rules he agreed upon and that actions taken in response to his ban seemed a bit much.

Now, with, more evidence, i can clearly say it was not just that. They cannot justify banning one player and barely responding on the other players, with a very similar act and to be honest, much less on the line as Blitzchung.
Any action taken from now will just seem like damage control to make it look like they are just enforcing the rules. They rapidly responded with a ban on Blitzchung, why not on the American University team?
Wtf Blizzard, fix yourself.

to be fair, it's a lot more dangerous for blizzard to not punish the hong kong player than to not punish an american
and removing the content before china has to tell them to remove it shows good faith towards trying to stay out of the protests

i don't think politics really belong in hearthstone, except between ingame species
it would make more sense for GTA to do a satire on the situation

i don't think politics really belong in hearthstone
theres a lot of posts in this thread arguing against this exactly

And multiple arguing that it does not belong in there.
I still stand by that.
I would like to enjoy something without thinking about the social or political implications it might have.
I play games to relax, have a good time and/or to laugh.
I watch the championship for the game. If I wanted politics I'd watch the news or like a broadcast around that.
Very egoistic and ignorant, but it keeps me from worrying constantly.
Gaming is an escape of reality for many. Invading that with politics is just not nice.
No matter how important or good willing, I am not a big fan of it.

Stripping a player of their rightful title and winnings over stuff like that is disgusting & should have been the first blaring alarm that somethings wrong. I can understand banning/suspending the player, but effectively destroying the dude was a very obvious power play that was much more than "enforcing the rules".