[BREAKING NEWS] Multiple Injuries reported after school shooting in California

Author Topic: [BREAKING NEWS] Multiple Injuries reported after school shooting in California  (Read 7014 times)

much harder to cause mass damage with just a knife, esp as a kid.
China would like a word with you

Arson attacks have killed more people than any mass shooting in history. Bombs are very easy to make; not to mention gasoline in itself is an explosive. Didn’t Japan just get a fire that killed like 36 people?

much harder to cause mass damage with just a knife, esp as a kid.
still a weapon

take away a knife some dumbass is gonna find a club

Arson attacks have killed more people than any mass shooting in history. Bombs are very easy to make; not to mention gasoline in itself is an explosive. Didn’t Japan just get a fire that killed like 36 people?
we’re talking about specifically schools and kids here...? save that for a universal gun control debate. a deranged kid is unlikely to be able to successfully start a fire that will kill students considering mandatory fire drills and all that bs, and bombs are much more difficult to construct and kids dont have nearly as easy of a time getting their hands on bomb materials compared to an unlocked gun in their own home.

still a weapon

take away a knife some dumbass is gonna find a club
yes but its objectively less life threatening to take down a kid with a club vs a kid with a gun. a kid with a club or a knife can be easily countered by a cop with a gun or a taser, or a bunch of students and teachers. hell even pepper spray would work. a kid with a gun is a different story.

these arguments dont take away from the point that legislation specifically to decrease risk of kids getting unauthorized access to guns has no real downside. a kid using a knife or club instead of a gun is an objectively better situation to deal with, by both targets and cops alike. if gun legislation makes them turn to those weapons instead of guns, its working.

the only counter argument really valid thats presented thus far is “cost to buy a gun safe/lock/etc” but thats kind of a non issue considering if you can afford a gun and ammo you definitely should be able to afford at least a low end lock.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 02:20:23 PM by Conan »

how does this stuff make sense to u. the existence of more dangerous ways to kill people doesn't mean you shouldn't ban the less dangerous methods lmao

this is the biggest whataboutism in history

"bro did you know vending machines kill more people than shark attacks, haha that means we shouldn't care at all about x forms of deaths because y happens too"

Didn’t think I had to explain it; you ban guns and assuming you were 100% successful, that won’t stop Flash Mobs. A pipe full of any sort of accelerant with end caps on both sides is a bomb. You don’t need a special license to buy any of those ingredients, or have to be a certain age or be even remotely smart to make one, for that matter.

Back to my main point, just because you ban a gun or some sort of special feature about it doesn’t mean that the criminal who wants to commit a Flash Mob will follow that law. You’re just creating lots of problems for lawful gun owners when you add even more infringements on an amendment that states, “Shall not be infringed.”

Whataboutism: what about “I have no idea how to raise a child and I’ll let them know WHERE my gun is and not teach them about gun safety or even remotely give a stuff about them”. It’s a double edged sword. If you’re so worried about your kid shooting up the place, don’t even introduce them to your gun. I lived for 13 years before my dad told me he owned a gun.

*bashes conans head in with a spoon*

again, you’re missing the point sheep: who the forget is saying ban guns in this thread. if you aren’t gonna attack my argument/proposal directly (legislation to mandate owning and using a gun lock if you own one and have a kid) you’re dodging the point >> why aide called it “whataboutism”

is there a downside to it? what about passing this law will make things more dangerous?

Because you’re statistically more likely to have your stuff broken into in the middle of the night than your kid taking it and shooting up his school.

Because you’re statistically more likely to have your stuff broken into in the middle of the night than your kid taking it and shooting up his school.
and by simply having a gun in your home, you (and your family) are statistically more likely to die in that home
https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/160/10/929/140858

its unlikely the chances of experiencing a home invasion is higher than your kid taking your weapon, and even if it was, you simply invest in quick-open locks or only unlock your gun at night and keep it next to you before you go to sleep, and lock it up while you're away from home and not carrying it.
since your kid is not at school while you're asleep, and you would lock up your gun after waking up, there's no chance they would be able to take it to school and shoot people up.

since i didnt respond to this earlier:
If you’re so worried about your kid shooting up the place, don’t even introduce them to your gun. I lived for 13 years before my dad told me he owned a gun.
dont rely on security via obscurity. its not hard for kids to figure out you own a gun if you go to the gun range regularly or see ammo lying around the garage or something. and if you really do keep it completely secret, then the law doesnt affect you - you're already very attentive to keeping guns away from kids. the law is to force those who dont think about it to think about it. its good that your dad took that very seriously.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 08:48:50 PM by Conan »

and by simply having a gun in your home, you (and your family) are statistically more likely to die in that home
https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/160/10/929/140858

Owning a pool makes you statistically more likely to drown in your backyard

Owning a dog makes you statistically more likely to be mauled to death

Driving a car makes you statistically more likely to die in a fiery ball of metal and flesh

isnt it kinda disingenuous though that buying guns for self-defense/safety actually increases the odds of you/your family dying by 2x (1:1.9)? that said the study’s 95% certainty interval ranges from 1:1.1 to 1:3.4

It really isn't
Like I bet if you take an actual look at each case it's domestic violence or the kids not being taught proper gun safety and capping themselves
That's not dangerous that's just people being stupid
You can't legislate against stupidity

Being in a car statistically increases your chance of running over someone, blowing up due to faulty modification, running into someone, or being in a high speed chase. Let's ban cars, they're obviously causing the issue.