The only way to revive Blockland, period

Author Topic: The only way to revive Blockland, period  (Read 10834 times)

ask will smith to floss in blockland.

He's a youtuber now

into a legit TV commercial

I have NEVER seen a TV commercial for a loving 10 year old game.

I don't even see TV commercials for 5 month old games.

Also I never seen an indie game TV commercials.

maybe a bit of merch

Who would buy it?

If 10% of blockland's community bought merch badspot would make around 50 dollars.  :panda:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:49:12 AM by King Tøny »

I'm sorry but at the state blockland is in, I don't see youtubers doing much to contribute the lifeline of this game. Let's say hypothetically we got some well known people to play the game some how. First off the content creators themselves really wouldn't have that much content to play in the first place, have you seen the state the master server is in? At best they'd play something like grapple knife with 5 people on it. If there's no appeal to the content creator, than there is no appeal to the audience. I really didn't like saying that because this game still means a lot to me, but I have to be realistic about it, I would love to be proven wrong about this; but this is the way I see it turning out.
Better yet why don't you yourself start making videos for blockland? I've said this before in other places like on the steam pages for blockland, really the only way for a game like this that is this far gone to even consider having a comeback is the original players and audience of the game really trying to make a difference in the first place. Such as making addons, building more new and creative things, community events, hosting fun things again, etc. And it's unfortunate to say but a huge majority of this games playerbase were children who've grown up into adults over the years and are busy with other things than a lego game.

Yeah no stuff they didn't. I'm just saying that they made TF2 free to play and it worked out.
tf2 already had a playerbase
making blockland free wont change anything

If we picked up the "BLOCKLAND FORUMS: THE GAME" idea again maybe that'd be enough advertising to bring people into the game based on our "culture." Autists beget autists, right?

(hot take incoming)

the removal of the old-style maps and death of RTB were the biggest factors to Blockland's decline
the dynamic lighting was just not worth it

blockland also couldn't amass a consistent global player base because it never had any sort of lag compensation implemented, so playing with a ping higher than 150 is unbearable, specially when aiming guns

the game also has a terrible support for international keyboards. a lot of keys just don't work on my non-US keyboard and makes the playing the game a pain, specially when using commands that require special characters

Blockland never took off because Badspot believed "moving to the US" was a reasonable solution to get a playable game experience. he never addressed international issues with much seriousness -- probably didn't really care. his unprofessionalism was ultimately what led to the downfall of the game

probably didn't really care. his unprofessionalism was ultimately what led to the downfall of the game
I'm pretty sure Badspot just wants to move on to something else, while the rest of us don't.

I'm just saying that they made TF2 free to play and it worked out.
Prior to the F2P update, TF2 was already booming and incredibly well received. In-game items and the trade system were already moving along, and they knew they would be able to sustain the game with its own economy. Blockland has neither of those things and making it free to play would not really help besides a slight playercount increase from bored kids and rejected users coming back on alts.

You can insert quotes from multiple posts into a single post via the topic summary below the Post Reply box.

Considering Blockland has been featured in a handful of popular Youtube videos with little apparent benefit, any future benefit would likely be similarly negliable.

Face it. There's only one way this ship is going from here, so enjoy whatever you want onboard while it lasts.
Im gonna stick by my mantra, made 2 youtubers play and they made other people play, so thats at least 4 new players, thats good with me

I have NEVER seen a TV commercial for a loving 10 year old game.

I don't even see TV commercials for 5 month old games.

Also I never seen an indie game TV commercials.

Who would buy it?

If 10% of blockland's community bought merch badspot would make around 50 dollars.  :panda:
Not trying to be a smartass but gta vice city and gta 3 had commercials 10 years  later when they were launched on phone

I'm sorry but at the state blockland is in, I don't see youtubers doing much to contribute the lifeline of this game. Let's say hypothetically we got some well known people to play the game some how. First off the content creators themselves really wouldn't have that much content to play in the first place, have you seen the state the master server is in? At best they'd play something like grapple knife with 5 people on it. If there's no appeal to the content creator, than there is no appeal to the audience. I really didn't like saying that because this game still means a lot to me, but I have to be realistic about it, I would love to be proven wrong about this; but this is the way I see it turning out.
Better yet why don't you yourself start making videos for blockland? I've said this before in other places like on the steam pages for blockland, really the only way for a game like this that is this far gone to even consider having a comeback is the original players and audience of the game really trying to make a difference in the first place. Such as making addons, building more new and creative things, community events, hosting fun things again, etc. And it's unfortunate to say but a huge majority of this games playerbase were children who've grown up into adults over the years and are busy with other things than a lego game.
So far I made around 4-5 people join the game, 2 youtubers and they made a couple of people. Thats pretty good, if more people did that we would have a few dozen or hundred new players, enough to revive the game
People think I want this game popular, no, I just want that server list to have more than 2-3 people in servers

(hot take incoming)

the removal of the old-style maps and death of RTB were the biggest factors to Blockland's decline
the dynamic lighting was just not worth it

blockland also couldn't amass a consistent global player base because it never had any sort of lag compensation implemented, so playing with a ping higher than 150 is unbearable, specially when aiming guns

the game also has a terrible support for international keyboards. a lot of keys just don't work on my non-US keyboard and makes the playing the game a pain, specially when using commands that require special characters

Blockland never took off because Badspot believed "moving to the US" was a reasonable solution to get a playable game experience. he never addressed international issues with much seriousness -- probably didn't really care. his unprofessionalism was ultimately what led to the downfall of the game
Hope Brickadia fixes that, unless they kill themselves with too much hype

I'm pretty sure Badspot just wants to move on to something else, while the rest of us don't.

If I was him I would hire or contact die hard fans who can develop the game in the future and I would only keep a cut from the profit, sorta like when steve jobs left apple before dying, he still made money bcs he owned stuff. But again, hope brickadia fixes that.

Prior to the F2P update, TF2 was already booming and incredibly well received. In-game items and the trade system were already moving along, and they knew they would be able to sustain the game with its own economy. Blockland has neither of those things and making it free to play would not really help besides a slight playercount increase from bored kids and rejected users coming back on alts.
CSGO is FtP now too, look at the cancer