Author Topic: When Someone Says "I Have Some Old Computers"  (Read 782 times)

-And you leave with a truckload of machines, parts, drives, and old brown townog security equipment ranging in age from last decade to only a few generations old.

I have a boxes of hard drives ranging from less than 160GB to 2-4TB+.
I'm quite satisfied with this transaction.\

I can now safely pass out, as I haven't slept up to this point.

wowe, have fun with all that stuff
any particular machines of note?

I'm interested, you think you'll be able to show us some of the stuff you got from wherever you got it all from some day?

i also hoard old machines

they make for perfect vps servers

wowe, have fun with all that stuff
any particular machines of note?

The guy used to do repairs as well as building custom DVR solutions for surveillance systems.
It seems they really liked to over-build some of their systems.

I got a few prebuilt DVR boxes (a couple still had the GeoVision brown townog capture cards). Then a system with an Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero board, and another with with an Asus Z87-Pro board (and an extra of each board + and extra SFF Asus board of some sort) with various i7 and i5 CPUs.
A couple of them were old personal rigs. One with dual GTS 450s the other with a GTX 650 TI + an extra GTX 650 TI and a normal GTX 650. GPUs wasn't such a but haul, but that's fine.

I also got: a box of mixed DDR3 and CPUs, a couple of spare gigabit ethernet cards, a Rosewill 4U (I think, could be 3U) rackmount sever chassis (new in box), two boxes of assorted hard drives (mostly 500GBs, but a good few assorted 1-2TBs too, plus some larger), a minor assortment of Samsung and OCZ SSDs, a number of CoolerMaster 120mm case fans, assorted CCTV cameras (including one that's hilariously tiny), a CCTV power supply unit, two GeoVision brown townog CCTV network hosts, an assortment of spare 500-600W PSUs, a box of assorted optical drives, an eight port gigabit network switch, an Acer 1080p  LCD screen to replace the aging Dell 16:10 screen that I've been using for forever, a four-port KVM switch, a USB 3.0 hub, a mixture of brackets, adapters, and cables, and a single OEM copy of Windows XP Professional.

I'm interested, you think you'll be able to show us some of the stuff you got from wherever you got it all from some day?

I'll take some pictures as I work on it a bit, for now, I'm still sorting it out.

i also hoard old machines

they make for perfect vps servers

I have a rack of actual server, so this isn't a problem for me.
You never know when you could use a spare machine, of a prototyping system though.