Author Topic: Why would anyone still use a record player?  (Read 1990 times)

I thought that they were so cool cause they could make sound out of grooves. People still prefer to use records over just using a cd or computer or something. I understand the vintage feel, but when you use one, your not being vintage. Your just being a loving dipwit that thinks they're vintage, but only still listen to rap and do the vintage thing as a trend. They're expensive and impractical. It is much easier to use your computer. I would love to bring that stuff back, but no one will because they just want to pretend. Theres no con in using one. Its cool and all, but at the end of the day you can get much better and cheaper stuff.

What pisses me off is the people that think they're quirky because they play pink floyd on a record player. They had moved on from record players by that time. Your not loving different or cool. You still listen to that loving garbage called trap and use social media everyday.

here are some points to consider:

the album art is really pretty, but you could also just buy posters (thats what i do)

the vinyl can be really pretty:
(being no one going nowhere by strfkr, i bought this one for my ex)

the audio quality is said to be better, but youre going to have to research that yourself

some albums are out of print and only available on vinyl

or your computer doesnt have a cd drive anymore and you want a signed copy ;3

i own a record player just to play this masterpiece

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh

also, attending a concert and buying a vinyl record (any merch really) is a great way to support the artist. there's no online retailer taking a cut when you buy in-person. I would think most of that money is going straight to the artist so they can pay for the studio time they spent recording the album, advances afforded to them by their label, touring costs, etc.

vls is also just kinda cool to have lol. like any other back-of-the-closet retro stuff it's just nice digging through when you're feeling frisky on a rainy day

A lot of people still collect vinyl. Tons of bands/artists still produce vinyl. With a good turntable and stereo system, vinyl provides a tonal warmth that generally isn't present in a digital medium. People enjoy physically putting on a record, looking at the album sleeve, cracking a cold one and listening to their tunes. There are also collectors that just enjoy finding rare, vintage albums, for them, it is the same principle as collecting trading cards.

can i get some record player recommendations?

coolness. also something about how record players produce 'soft sound' rather than 0-100 'hard sound' that digital tech produces (hard sound: someone clapping wooden blocks in your ear. instant. soft sound: someone clapping wooden blocks 10 ft away. less heart-attack-inducing. 'soft'er.)

also its not expensive at all, you can find functioning tables at second hand stores (sometimes even nice high-end ones) pretty cheap in my experience, as well as the records to play on them, I've found Styx, Europe, Rare Earth, New Order, Benatar, Starship, REO, BTO and others in good condition for 2-6$ a piece.

It's just nice to put one on sometimes when working on something or cleaning the dishes

also its not expensive at all, you can find functioning tables at second hand stores (sometimes even nice high-end ones) pretty cheap in my experience, as well as the records to play on them, I've found Styx, Europe, Rare Earth, New Order, Benatar, Starship, REO, BTO and others in good condition for 2-6$ a piece.

It's just nice to put one on sometimes when working on something or cleaning the dishes
i feel like its just still expensive because all the stuff you have to buy, but if you took the money out of the equation, using records would be superior. I would love to have a nice one.

can i get some record player recommendations?
just drag the industrial generator onto the record

I collect vinyl because Spotify barely makes artists money, if it's a small band I want to support, I'll buy a record. There's more obvious reasons like the warmer sound or brown townog feeling a record gives with its satisfying pops too.

That and collecting records is a nice hobby to have throughout the course of your life, I have a story for pretty much every record I've collected.
i feel like its just still expensive because all the stuff you have to buy, but if you took the money out of the equation, using records would be superior. I would love to have a nice one.
beyond price, they come with a ton of cool additional stuff. i have a beach boys record from the smile sessions and it came with a mountain of additional behind the scenes concepts and artwork.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:31:30 PM by New Years »

the only reason I collect vinyls is because some of my favorite albums have been compressed up the ass over the years and vinyls are immune to that stuff